Can i put altimeter vent in nosecone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you can but the pressure will have a component that is dependent on airspeed. At apogee, the airspeed is near zero so it won’t matter much there. Depending on where it is and the specific altimeter, you may see very strange things on the way up when it is moving fast.

Short answer is also ... yes... your apogee and descent will be correct readouts. Your ascent will maybe be bogus due to air flow.

We have actually used Raven altimeters with vent hole in the nose cone for mach+ flights and they deploy fine at apogee and main as they have effective 'mach lock out' during the "up part" based on the accelerometer. In fact, the current Tipoli L altitude record of 37,340 feet had a Raven4 and a small vent hole in the nose cone...

For your particular example, put them as low as possible. Otherwise see the answers above. I can't see which Jolly Logic device that is. If it's an AltimeterThree then Russ' comments above about "strange things on the way up" may well apply. For AltimeterOne or Two, and with a reasonably normal flight profile (not severe weathercocking with an ejection that happens at high speed) you should get plausible results.

Sure, I'd put it as far down the shoulder as you can, though. Unless you're planning to get close to mach, it should be fine.

It's an Altimeter 2.

Main thing I am interested in is descent speed, but peak altitude would be nice.

I am thinking it would be safer from ejection charges with a separate ebay, although I may look into those little bags @rklapp was talking about.

If it's up in that nose cone above the "laundry" it will probably be fine, even without the DinoChutes pouch. That pouch is made of vinyl and it's actually kind of stiff, so it might not let the A2 fit in your nose cone.

Also, if the base of the nose cone is not closed off from the recovery system and such, you could put your static ports down in the body and obviate any concerns about dynamic air pressure messing with the data.

That said, if the descent rate is the main datum you want (with the same caveat about a "reasonably normal" flight I gave above) you'll be fine with static ports in the nose cone.

You mean I should have my wife make ones big enough for an AltimeterOne/Two/Three?

We will be bringing a small supply of these fleece pouches to NSL—ones that fit FireFly, FS Mini and even some tiny ones for MicroPeak.

You mean I should have my wife make ones big enough for an AltimeterOne/Two/Three?

We will be bringing a small supply of these fleece pouches to NSL—ones that fit FireFly, FS Mini and even some tiny ones for MicroPeak.
Might be productive for you to briefly describe materials, sources, and methods. I know I’d appreciate it. I think the bad idea is better, at least weight and drag wise, compared with a separate e-bay.

you know the saying

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Back