Can I enter a Titan II / DynaSoar build for sport scale competition?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoAz2k

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The NAR Pink Book says:

"Sport Scale Competition comprises three events open to any model rocket that closely resembles an existing or historical guided missile, rocket vehicle, or space vehicle, that has flown under rocket power."

I've never entered a scale competition and am wondering if I can enter a Titan II / DynaSoar in a NAR Sport Scale competition?

I ask since while the Titan II has flown, the DynaSoar vehicle itself did not.

BTW, I already have the DynaSoar parts to build. Just wondering where I should put it in my build queue if I want to enter a scale competition in 2021...

That combination has not been flown, so I would expect it would not be allowed in Sport Scale. It would be a perfect entry for a Concept Scale competition, however. But that's just my read of the rules....I hope someone who's a little closer to this can weigh in.

100% correct you are !

That combination has not been flown, so I would expect it would not be allowed in Sport Scale. It would be a perfect entry for a Concept Scale competition, however. But that's just my read of the rules....I hope someone who's a little closer to this can weigh in.

Thanks, Jim.

To the OP: there’s your answer, right from a member of the NAR Contest Board. Sport Scale, no. Concept Scale, yes.

Thank you all.

I will keep my eye out for a Concept Scale event to be hosted while I also consider a different model to build.

You can enter almost anything in Sport Scale. It may not score well, but you can enter it. I recall seeing a Nike-Ajax model at NARAM that was a Quest Nike something (plastic fin can and all) plus an upper stage built from a can of Ajax cleanser.

My memory is not as good as it used to be. I dont remember which NARAM that was, I was there. That model was submitted as a joke... I think ... I could be wrong... that model was DQ'ED.

You can enter almost anything in Sport Scale. It may not score well, but you can enter it. I recall seeing a Nike-Ajax model at NARAM that was a Quest Nike something (plastic fin can and all) plus an upper stage built from a can of Ajax cleanser.

I would love to see the Data Pack for that !

PLEASE tell me that you have a PIC ?

Dave F.

Last edited:
PLEASE tell me that you have a PIC ?
It is possible I suppose. Buried somewhere in the Kodachrome collection. I remember (or at least think I do) seeing it at the mid-week scale viewing. Digging into the NARAM archives at nar.org I see a C division Nike-Ajax with a static score at NARAM 41. But there is this little voice in my head that keeps saying "Bob Kaplow". :)

Maybe just the memory of my Best Midwest award that year.

Back