Can I connect 2 sets of PSII wires together extending the length.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Reaction score
I’m not much of an electrician. I’ve have a couple of Estes PSII controllers. The controllers are the only thing that I like from Estes, they work great. Unfortunately the length of the wires is not long enough. Having twice the length of distance between you and the rocket would give me more piece of mind.

I was wondering if i cut the wires off one controller and splice the wires of the second PSII controller, is it possible to reconnect it so that I have twice the length?

It could be better to buy a roll of slightly thicker wire from the store and retrofit one of them. If it works do the other, but if it doesn't you still have a working example.

Do you mind me asking about for what you need a doubled length on a SPII? There might be better solutions.
The length of the wire is only 30’. That is not that much distance between you and the rocket going off. Here’s a pic of when that can be dangerous

Attachments

• 9753ECE0-60AD-4DB6-839A-444A0706A77B.png
    9753ECE0-60AD-4DB6-839A-444A0706A77B.png
    367.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 2D4E9940-2514-4177-AF2A-0F24BD1BD01C.png
    2D4E9940-2514-4177-AF2A-0F24BD1BD01C.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 45
dhbarr's idea about upgrading the wire in one of your PSII's is probably your best bet. Just unscrew the connections on one of the PSII's and rewire the thing. It's pretty easy to do. Just remember, that you'll need very good batteries in it if you're going for longer distances. The optional Lipo would probably be a very good idea.

There should be no special need for a battery upgrade if the longer wire is sufficiently heavier and lower resistance than the standard 30' wire. However, battery upgrades are always a good thing.

NAR safety guidelines (which tend toward conservative) specify 30' for low-mid power. So I'm not sure why you need the longer wire, but it too can't hurt as long as you use the right wire and/or mind your batteries.

The length of the wire is only 30’. That is not that much distance between you and the rocket going off. Here’s a pic of when that can be dangerous

Just a thought, but maybe get a longer rail instead. Those flight pics look to me like the rocket wasn’t going fast enough at the end of the launch guide.

There should be no special need for a battery upgrade if the longer wire is sufficiently heavier and lower resistance than the standard 30' wire. However, battery upgrades are always a good thing.

NAR safety guidelines (which tend toward conservative) specify 30' for low-mid power. So I'm not sure why you need the longer wire, but it too can't hurt as long as you use the right wire and/or mind your batteries.
Just a thought, but maybe get a longer rail instead. Those flight pics look to me like the rocket wasn’t going fast enough at the end of the launch guide.

The rod was bent a tad which caused the rocket to go sideways

Look for " DC remote control switch". There are alot. Some of them are momentary switches some are on off. Some are longer ranged than others too. And they are inexpensive.
Sounds like a good idea. I’m going to check it out.
thanks.

WIRE - get 50' or 100' of 18/2 lamp cord from a hardware store.

If you are using F or G motors - stop using a launch rod.
Build/Make a proper pad with a 6' long 1010 rail.
You will be amazed how much better/straighter the rockets launch.

I use a wireless controller myself. Just remember the safe distance is mostly to protect you and others from a CATO. A rocket that takes an undesired trajectory isn't going to have a safe distance of 30' or even 300' in most cases without people having quick feet and good eyes to avoid it.

All that said, do what you are comfortable with. I like wireless for ease, but you have received great tips to extend the length of your wire already.

Last edited:
Look for " DC remote control switch". There are alot. Some of them are momentary switches some are on off. Some are longer ranged than others too. And they are inexpensive.

What amps are your relays rated for?

I successfully wired a 10’ extension. I bought some 14 awg wiring from one of the 3rd party vendors off Amazon and connected it. Here’s a quick simple video in slow mo.
Thanks everyone for tips.

I'm going to approach this from a different angle.

Please look into the causes of your off vertical flights. Bent launch rod -> problem . Don't fly until it's resolved
The suggestions of making a rail launch pad for heavier rockets and stronger motors is very good.
Ensure you have sufficient velocity for a stable flight off your rod/rail

Im going to approach this from the same angle I originally started with.
My main goal I’m trying to achieve is make more distance between the rocket and me when i launch it. So having a straight launch rail, big enough launch pad, and sufficient velocity off rail still doesn’t give me more range.
Even know extending the wires is probably not the best idea, but it gives me more range.

Im going to approach this from the same angle I originally started with.
My main goal I’m trying to achieve is make more distance between the rocket and me when i launch it. So having a straight launch rail, big enough launch pad, and sufficient velocity off rail still doesn’t give me more range.
Even know extending the wires is probably not the best idea, but it gives me more range.

Frankly, what you are trying to do is really unnecessary unless you're launching high power. 30' between you and the pad is plenty. I spent most of my childhood using a regular controller with a 15' wire.

You did say upthread that your rod was bent. That's going to create more dangerous situations than standing 30' away. So I'm going to suggest replacing your rod and don't worry about your controller.

Last edited:
Yes the rod wasn’t perfectly straight and I replaced it and that solved the problem of going sideways off the pad. With being said, 75’ would give me more peace of mind than 30’. Especially if I decide to launch high powered.

If you want to stand further away from the rocket, that’s fine. Don’t let anyone tell that you don’t need to, therefore you shouldn’t want to. Jeez. I usually like being as close as allowed, but sometimes it’s good to step back just for a different perspective. And just like an organized launch may ask you to place a “special” rocket at a further pad than the motor calls for and announce a heads-up flight, we all have our own “special” rockets at our private launches that deserve a bit of extra caution. There’s nothing wrong with what you are trying to do.

I think you got some good tips on how to do that.

With that said, a better pad, with sturdier rod or rail would be a good addition to your setup. Most F and G rockets should be flown off rails. There are lots of threads on building mid-power pads. Good luck.

Yes the rod wasn’t perfectly straight and I replaced it and that solved the problem of going sideways off the pad. With being said, 75’ would give me more peace of mind than 30’. Especially if I decide to launch high powered.

Well I can see why some folks are addressing the wonky flight profiles in those pictures that you posted. Glad you fixed it. If you decide to launch high power and you want to follow the safety codes then start at 100 feet for H impulse. FWIW I like to back up from the minimum distances for most impulse levels for a more satisfying viewing experience.

I have been eager to build a pad with a 1010 series rail. My super DX3 I built with both a launch lug and 1010 series rail buttons.

If you're going to start flying high power, then you need to be prepared for what that means. In other words, join a rocket club that does high power.

99.99% of the time flying high power means getting an FAA waiver. So joining a club becomes the easiest means of legally flying high power. Sure there's the 3.3 pound rule with the minimum high power motors, but no one that I've ever known was satisfied with that for more than a couple of flights. The HP itch can't be satisfied for long enough to bother with under the 3.3 rule. I mean really, if 3.3 is ok, then why not 3.4 pounds. And what's the harm in flying a motor that's just one more grain bigger? There's a reason that every high power rocketry organization that I've ever looked into has a safety code. And the safety code is there to try and keep us safe......and keep us flying without any governmental micromanaging what we are all doing.

So you want to legally fly high power rockets? Then somebody needs to stand up and tell you the simple truth that your PSII is completely inadequate for the task. For high power you are at the minimum 100 feet between you and the pad, your PSII will not get the job done unless you're pushing enough juice thru the wires to start melting insulation, including inside of your hand-held PSII. For high power you need a controller that will activate a relay at the pad to actuate the battery at the pad for the ignition of your motor. Yes, I've done it the old fashioned way stringing 100 feet of extension cord between my car battery and the pad too, but it was NOT safe, took ten times the amperage than it ought to have taken, and literally did melt insulation on the wiring. And above all, it was not safe.

So please, don't go there. I'm certain that there will be a dozen guys out there with stories of how they did it and everything was fine. Unfortunately, while it may have been "fine," it was neither safe nor legal. You want to fly high power? Do it right or you are jeopardizing the hobby for everybody.

Sorry for getting on my soapbox there, but my club lost the right to fly off of a beautiful sod farm because one idiot decided he had the right to break the rules. He was being "safe" in his own mind, but he lost us a wonderful place to fly because of his willingness to break the rules that he saw as merely an inconvenience. The rules may have been an inconvenience to him, but he lost us our flying field and that was inexcusable. He's never flown with us since then. As far as I know he no longer flight rockets at all. And that's probably a good thing as I don't know if I could speak in civil tones if he showed up wanting to fly again. And we're talking what, 20 years ago!

Yes, I know that I'm a pastor. I preach the Gospel every Sunday, even the one's where I'm at rocket launches. Get to close and you're likely to get a sermon! LOL!!!! I preach that we're saved by "Grace Alone" thru faith in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ......... (I hope I haven't broken any forum rules here. If I have, I plead ignorance) And I believe that it will be by Grace alone that I will someday get into heaven, not by works. The Ten Commandments are there to help us keep from hurting ourselves and/or those around us. Sometimes the RULES have to be the RULES. And when it comes to flying rockets, the safety code is there to try and keep us safe from as many known factors as possible.

So, go join a rocket club that flies high power.
Stay safe.
Stay legal.
Stay on my good side, because I'd hate to have to consign you to the flames. (oh dear, now I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type.....)

Brad, the "Sometimes I can't help Myself" "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

If you're going to start flying high power, then you need to be prepared for what that means. In other words, join a rocket club that does high power.

99.99% of the time flying high power means getting an FAA waiver. So joining a club becomes the easiest means of legally flying high power. Sure there's the 3.3 pound rule with the minimum high power motors, but no one that I've ever known was satisfied with that for more than a couple of flights. The HP itch can't be satisfied for long enough to bother with under the 3.3 rule. I mean really, if 3.3 is ok, then why not 3.4 pounds. And what's the harm in flying a motor that's just one more grain bigger? There's a reason that every high power rocketry organization that I've ever looked into has a safety code. And the safety code is there to try and keep us safe......and keep us flying without any governmental micromanaging what we are all doing.

So you want to legally fly high power rockets? Then somebody needs to stand up and tell you the simple truth that your PSII is completely inadequate for the task. For high power you are at the minimum 100 feet between you and the pad, your PSII will not get the job done unless you're pushing enough juice thru the wires to start melting insulation, including inside of your hand-held PSII. For high power you need a controller that will activate a relay at the pad to actuate the battery at the pad for the ignition of your motor. Yes, I've done it the old fashioned way stringing 100 feet of extension cord between my car battery and the pad too, but it was NOT safe, took ten times the amperage than it ought to have taken, and literally did melt insulation on the wiring. And above all, it was not safe.

So please, don't go there. I'm certain that there will be a dozen guys out there with stories of how they did it and everything was fine. Unfortunately, while it may have been "fine," it was neither safe nor legal. You want to fly high power? Do it right or you are jeopardizing the hobby for everybody.

Sorry for getting on my soapbox there, but my club lost the right to fly off of a beautiful sod farm because one idiot decided he had the right to break the rules. He was being "safe" in his own mind, but he lost us a wonderful place to fly because of his willingness to break the rules that he saw as merely an inconvenience. The rules may have been an inconvenience to him, but he lost us our flying field and that was inexcusable. He's never flown with us since then. As far as I know he no longer flight rockets at all. And that's probably a good thing as I don't know if I could speak in civil tones if he showed up wanting to fly again. And we're talking what, 20 years ago!

Yes, I know that I'm a pastor. I preach the Gospel every Sunday, even the one's where I'm at rocket launches. Get to close and you're likely to get a sermon! LOL!!!! I preach that we're saved by "Grace Alone" thru faith in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ......... (I hope I haven't broken any forum rules here. If I have, I plead ignorance) And I believe that it will be by Grace alone that I will someday get into heaven, not by works. The Ten Commandments are there to help us keep from hurting ourselves and/or those around us. Sometimes the RULES have to be the RULES. And when it comes to flying rockets, the safety code is there to try and keep us safe from as many known factors as possible.

So, go join a rocket club that flies high power.
Stay safe.
Stay legal.
Stay on my good side, because I'd hate to have to consign you to the flames. (oh dear, now I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type.....)

Brad, the "Sometimes I can't help Myself" "Rocket Rev.," Wilson
The answer to my thread,

“Can I connect 2 sets of PSII wires together extending the length” was answered in multiple different ways already. Which allowed me to achieve my goal.
No disrespect but i know my “right from wrong”. I appreciate you looking out for the safety of myself and everyone else in this great hobby though.

Back