Can HPR survive with $100 J motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might weed out people that weren’t all the way in, but they probably weren’t going to stay in the hobby long term anyway.

It just means I may be flying more J350s instead of K550s and there is nothing wrong with that - because last time I checked, J350s still kick a$$ and I still get to fly rockets.

It might weed out people that weren’t all the way in, but they probably weren’t going to stay in the hobby long term anyway.

It just means I may be flying more J350s instead of K550s and there is nothing wrong with that - because last time I checked, J350s still kick a$$ and I still get to fly rockets.
I saw some numbers in the past that the average person stays in rocketry something like 5-7 years. I'm sure the other hobbies are taking a hit as well.

I see very few average people at the rocket launches I go to.
That made me wonder, what proportion of model rocket launches are done at a sanctioned launch?

I bet it's a lot lower than what most people think. If you are flying HPR you are already outside the normal model rocket flyer.

However, I would have to admit that as I was looking at the J motor prices, I was thinking that I'll be more mindful of how many I launch (even though they were Black Friday prices!) and that I'm lucky to also enjoy Low & Mid Power.

Also it's inflation...sounding like my wife when she sees egg prices:

Wife - "You're going to have to cut back and have it less often"​
Me - "Rockets or eggs?"​
Wife - "Your choice."​
Me - "I can eat oatmeal."​

It’s all getting very expensive at every level. I think that a significant price increase that comes along at the same time as waning interest can drive people out. I still have enough motors left over from previous purchase to get me along for at least a year if not more.

I am getting pretty reluctant to shell out for Level 2 motors at this point. I’ve got some J and K motors still in inventory, but I might not be replenishing those for awhile.

I’d really like my existing clubs or a new local club to find a nice launch site for non-HPR launches up to G impulse. My club had such a great field that has been lost for some time, and I really enjoyed going to fly F and G motors from pads 40’ away as much as flying H and above at 100’ or 300’ pads. Those launches were far more affordable. Now my only clubs are HPR, and the pad distances make me want to fly bigger rockets and bigger motors.

Go hybrid! Once you get the GSE and motor hardware sorted, the reloads are relatively cheap by comparison. One popular hybrid manufacturer sells a J three pack for $75.

Our club invested in the necessary hybrid GSE through the TRA PIP grant.

As for APCP motors, spare a thought for us poor sods on the other side of the puddle! We have to pay a lot more over here.

Last edited:
Lucky me, I never got into HPR - I fly A-F (and E-F-G composites); most of my available fields aren't allowed to do level 1 flights, etc. The only site that can do HPR is 2.5 hrs away and the logistics of actually getting there are challenging. Still, I am not pleased about $30-35 a flight for F/G composites, but hey, its manageable.

I just wish you didn't have to have L2 to make and fly a D - F sugar motor at a sanctioned launch.
The first time I heard that was nearly 20 years ago and it was @ksaves2. I've only heard it a few times ever since. :rolleyes:
As I understand it, the reasoning is that L2 is the first certification level that requires learning the safety rules (including some regulations) and has a test to document that knowledge. We don't test at the L1 level, probably to dangle the hook.

I for one have already cut back. I am building smaller rockets that are lighter and will go just as high as the heavy kits I used to fly. Now, I am getting back into motor making.

The first time I heard that was nearly 20 years ago and it was @ksaves2. I've only heard it a few times ever since. :rolleyes:
As I understand it, the reasoning is that L2 is the first certification level that requires learning the safety rules (including some regulations) and has a test to document that knowledge. We don't test at the L1 level, probably to dangle the hook.
I understand why, and there should be some step for entry into research motors, but I'm not sure L2 is it. That's a different topic, but has the certification process kept up with technology and practices over the past 20 years in this hobby?

Edit to add:

Perhaps think of of like a motorcycle endorsement. L1 plus some type of test that shows a enough of an understanding of chemical storage, mixing, and handling, the potential hazards of making motors and how to minimize them. Then you can fire up to I size motors with your L1 + research.

I understand why, and there should be some step for entry into research motors, but I'm not sure L2 is it. That's a different topic, but has the certification process kept up with technology and practices over the past 20 years in this hobby?
I hope so, but we would always welcome polite suggestions about how to update it. We do update the procedures as technology changes and the L2 test changes almost every time we change the safety code.

I expanded my post that you quoted to clarify my thought. L2 certainly demonstrates a higher level of understanding of rocket construction and higher thrust motors, but it doesn't address some knowledge needed to safely mix and cast your own motors.

Time to buy some hardware.
For the entry level person going from D/E/F single use to a G, the Aerotech hardware is $100 and a G reload is $25. Have to fly 5 G's to break even compared to buying $45 single-use G's. It's quite the road block, either way, to make that jump with the current prices.

Back