Can Future Be Painted Over With Createx Airbrush Paints?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built an Estes Antar and I am in the process of painting it by airbrush using Createx acrylic paints. To get the original paint scheme I need to do a lot of masking. I'm using good tape but I still always end up with some bleeding.

People here have recommended shooting a clear coat after putting the tape on to seal the edges before shooting the next color. Createx does make clear topcoats but I have a lifetime's quantity of Future on hand.

So my question is can Createx paints be sprayed on over Future? Any done this? What were the results? Thanks.

I built an Estes Antar and I am in the process of painting it by airbrush using Createx acrylic paints. To get the original paint scheme I need to do a lot of masking. I'm using good tape but I still always end up with some bleeding.

People here have recommended shooting a clear coat after putting the tape on to seal the edges before shooting the next color. Createx does make clear topcoats but I have a lifetime's quantity of Future on hand.

So my question is can Createx paints be sprayed on over Future? Any done this? What were the results? Thanks.
Yes I've done this it works fine.

However a better clear to use for this purpose is Balancing Clear (#4030 I think) or Transparent Base.

https://www.amazon.com/Createx-5601...reatex+transparent+base&qid=1625055627&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/Createx-Colo...qid=1625055675&sprefix=createx+balanci&sr=8-3
I have found while the plain colors shoot pretty well a better finish can be had by mixing appropriate color plus balancing clear plus reducer as needed.

The transparent base is what I use to seal tape edges

One further note: in some cases Future can dissolve the Createx paints just a bit. I've noticed this occasionally. I think it has to do with how well the paint has cured/polymerized.

I can confirm the behavior Marc_G described. The affect was unexpected but not unpleasing. Kinda leveled out the color coat on an old Quest Payloader One.

Latest posts

Back