Can.Do Saturn V from Dragon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wscarvie

Reaction score
Hi all,

While browsing for rocket parts at the local hobby store today, I found some new toys from Dragon, sold under the "Can.Do" branding. There are several, all related to the Apollo 11 mission.

Check out this page for a pic. Parts C, D and E together make up the Saturn V. Each part ran me $5. The fit between the pieces is quite nice. Tight but still removeable. The S-4B module breaks in half, revealing the interior fuel tank, too.

You can see the complete model a bit betterhere.

My plan is to gut it, and build in an 18mm motor mount. Seperation point will most likely be between the S-4B and S-2 modules. The opening into the S-2 module is pretty narrow, though...might need a dry-cleaner bag parachute to fit.

The model is quite light. I don't have my scale handy, but it's much, much lighter than many of my 18mm birds. There ought to be enough room inside the S-4B module for enough nose weight to fly this model, even with the tiny, tiny fins.

Ideally, I'd leave the nicely detailed engine mount intact, building the model rocket engine mount up inside the S-1C module with enough room to put the toy mount on for display. Getting that piece out intact looks very hard though. There isn't enough gap between the model's pieces to insert a knife blade without doing some damage...maybe one the fuel tank cap has been removed I can get at it from the inside though.

Anyway, just wanted to tip you all off to this new (to me, anyway) product.

Enjoy.

I've seen those models.

The upper shroud on the S-2 stage that covers the lem is the wrong angle making it "slightly" out of scale.

But that's just me...and Peter Alway.

Originally posted by sandman
I've seen those models.

The upper shroud on the S-2 stage that covers the lem is the wrong angle making it "slightly" out of scale.

But that's just me...and Peter Alway.

Hi Sand,

Good point. But, I'm more of a "it looks good from the launch controller" kind of "scale" modeler anyway. And if was right there at the cash register, you see...

Marketing 101: Put the candy at the registers in groceries, and rockets at the registers in hobby stores :)

Marketing 101:

But why do they make you dig so hard to find the "clearance" items!

More $0.80 Fat Boys at Meijer...huh, Gus!

Paint is off, too. The first stage roll pattern, mainly. SO MANY people make that mistake, and the only time that was ever on a Saturn V was the "test vehicle" that they used for crawler/launch pad tests, but never flight.

Some of the earlier active Saturn V's that actually flew (Apollo 4, for example) actually originally had that paint scheme, but somewhere in the process of assembling the stages, the top of the roll pattern was painted over with white. I learned this from closely observing pictures of these early Saturns. When the first stages were rolled into the VAB, or to the test stand facility (one of the two, can't remember), pictures show that they had the faulty paint scheme that was put on the Saturn model this thread is about, but by the time the full stack was rolled the top of the pattern was painted over (it's the second band of corrigation that's pained over).

In close up pics you can see that the roll pattern was painted over because you can faintly see the orignal pattern under the white. But by the time either Apollo 8 or 11 rolled around (trying to remember) you can tell that the paint scheme wasn't redone...it was done in the way you always see fly from the beginning.

My guess is that NASA had the first Saturns (before they flew) made with that paint pattern and then they decided they didn't want it and painted over them for flight. But by the time more Saturns were made, they stopped the unwanted paint scheme.

I'm such a ranter. Cool kit!

Originally posted by wscarvie
My plan is to gut it, and build in an 18mm motor mount. Seperation point will most likely be between the S-4B and S-2 modules. The opening into the S-2 module is pretty narrow, though...might need a dry-cleaner bag parachute to fit.

Great idea. I made a PMC of the Airfix Saturn V (not a very accurate kit for a variety of reasons) a while back. Details of the conversion are here: https://www.nsrg.org.uk/projects/saturn_v_pmc
Only one not-too-successful flight as yet. I need to stick the fins back on and fly it again.

Originally posted by Frank Claunch
wscarvic
Have you done anymore work on this rocket? Sounds like a good project.

Nope, not yet. It's just sitting on my desk at work, looking pretty. I doubt I'll really get started on this before the new year, honestly.

I'll post updates when the project gets going.

Back