Camp Fire in Northern California

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
Well, the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise, California, has not taken me yet. As the fire rages and the smoke encircles my town of Oroville, I have finally got my internet access back. Crazy that when you need the internet most so you can receive evacuation notifications in a timely manner, my Xfinity internet connection goes down. I was forced to gaze out my bedroom window, North, towards Table Mountain to watch the red glow of the fire just the other side of the mountain for my updates as to the fire's advance. The Chico tv channel seemed interested only with evacuation updates for Chico, and personal stories of evacuees from Paradise, to report on the fire's path towards Oroville.

That said, Oroville seems to be safe, so far, but with high winds tonite through Monday morning, who knows.

Terrible to so many injured, dead, and homeless. I hope a quick return and hopefully, we can find ways to prevent these fires.

One of our club members is in Magalia, evacuated with just the dog yesterday.
She is at a hotel in Sacramento for now,

My prayers are with you and everyone affected Hank..
Be safe man..

Teddy

I have been reading on CA fires. It is hard to believe there are 129million dead trees as fuel for fires statewide. Stay safe.

I have been reading on CA fires. It is hard to believe there are 129million dead trees as fuel for fires statewide. Stay safe.

The forest management is a mess. One group sues the Forest Service to make them thin and clean up, another group sues to prevent it. Both win, nothing happens as all answers are wrong.

The fire by Malibu is burning through brush that has evolved to be burned to the ground every few years and come back from the roots. Maybe that's not the best place to build a house.

The forest management is a mess. One group sues the Forest Service to make them thin and clean up, another group sues to prevent it. Both win, nothing happens as all answers are wrong.

The fire by Malibu is burning through brush that has evolved to be burned to the ground every few years and come back from the roots. Maybe that's not the best place to build a house.

That is malpractice.

Which is worse for the environment, remove and burn the trees and uncontrolled fires that end in burning houses and cars.

Tony, Ted, thanks for the well wishes. Tonite and tomorrow night will be critical times due to the winds increasing out of Jarbo Gap. I saw on the news that Scooter's, a favorite eating place for bikers going up Hwy 70 in the Feather River Canyon, was spared, as it was a staging area for firefighters. The fire there was treated like a perp attempting to rob a cop bar.

We had the same communication issues in Napa. No power, no internet, no phone service, nothing. The first day we had monitor the fire by eye from the high spots around town. Then the local radio station got on the air and this was the best way to keep informed. People were calling in with personal fire reports and The station would broadcast the daily cal fire updates. The local djs were doing 12+ hour shifts. Stressful days and weeks. Totally at the mercy of the weather and wind direction for days until out of town and out of state firefighters started arriving.

The Camp Fire smoke is giving many who endured the Santa Rosa / Napa fires ptsd.

Still wishing Paradise finds a way through. I had some great times there.

I hear that the Paradise Police Department, High School, City Administration building, Starbucks, a few other businesses, and most of the Feather River Hospital have survived the fire. Hmmm . . . priorities?

Saw some news footage this evening of what's left of Paradise. Dreadful. Hank's description of the remaining structures is accurate.

The truly tragic part I saw a few days ago was a line of burnt out cars on the only road out of town. A two lane road. The news crews didn't know what they were looking at...or at least didn't want to say. Just horrible.

70+ known dead and approximately 1000 persons still unaccounted for. FEMA teams with dogs searching for remains.

This is likely to become the deadliest forest fire in California history if it isn't already.

Have you been ok Kit ??
You're fairly close to Hank, aren't ya ??

This has been just terrible..
We're better then this in this day and age..
How about the same way I donate a harness as a raffle prize,
the federal government donate a half dozen C 130 Herc's set up as firefighters
and station them in a strategic location ready to go..
This may seem awfully expensive now..
But if it had been done after last years go round with these fires
we wouldn't have near the loss we do now,, this year..

Teddy

Have you been ok Kit ??
You're fairly close to Hank, aren't ya ??

This has been just terrible..
We're better then this in this day and age..
How about the same way I donate a harness as a raffle prize,
the federal government donate a half dozen C 130 Herc's set up as firefighters
and station them in a strategic location ready to go..
This may seem awfully expensive now..
But if it had been done after last years go round with these fires
we wouldn't have near the loss we do now,, this year..

Teddy

Doing alright Ted. An area of Oroville two miles away from my house was on evacuation warning, but they lifted it. If it rains Wednesday, then I think the danger will be gone for Oroville, along with the smoke. Haven't even been going outside as the smoke was in the "extremely unhealthy" range. The rain will change that.

Yeah Henry, I've been thinking/worrying about you. PLEASE be cautious and don't take any chances.
And don't hope for too much rain....while it puts out fires, it also causes mudslide danger which can be a pretty bad thing in California.

Keep checking in with us at TRF...keep us updated.

s6

Latest posts

Back