Cameras

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know what the best way of putting a camera into a rocket so that it would take a picture every 10 seconds or so? And what size the rocket would have to be to accomadate it?

Thanks,

Phil

well, don't ask ME about camera control electronics (https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2496)

Performance-wise, I can tell you that with even the lightest/smallest 35 mm camera, to get the payload up to 500 or 750 feet (or higher) you're gonna need at least multi-stage D power. I have not built an E-motor carrier vehicle, because Estes down-rated their E's (from E15 to E9) just about the time I was getting ready to try this; I am told the new E9's just don't have the oomph to get a heavy bird off the pad at safe flying speeds.

Most often, a simple approach is better than a more complex one. You may want to go for single-stage F or G power to get really good camera shots.

OK so you want take pictures at time intervals, you have two main routes to go down. Firstly, a servo which presses the shutter button, its constantly going round and by changing the voltage going into it with a variable resistor you can change the speed and therefore the time between pictures.

Second route, electronics, slightly more complex but gives you a bit more scope with what you can do. By removing the shutter button you can attach two wires to the inside of the camera (avoiding the flash capacitor!) and when the wires are touched togethor it should take a photo. These can then be linked to a relay and can be controlled with a 555 circuit to take a photo every ten seconds.

As for size of rocket, it really depends on the size and weight of your camera. When you say size I guess you mean what type of motors, I doubt you could lift a camera with a single D motor (unless you built very light) but a cluster is possible. Using Mid Power AP motors is a much better idea and should bring you some nice altitude.

This thread is documenting my progress with my camera project, good luck!

I don't know about taking photos every ten seconds, but there is a fascinating article in the latest Sport Rocketry about putting together a CCD camera payload that can fit inside a BT-60 and flies on B motors.

Hope this helps,

Will Scarvie

Originally posted by wscarvie
I don't know about taking photos every ten seconds, but there is a fascinating article in the latest Sport Rocketry about putting together a CCD camera payload that can fit inside a BT-60 and flies on B motors.

Hope this helps,

Will Scarvie

And where would i get Sport rocketry from??

Originally posted by WiK
And where would i get Sport rocketry from??

Well, I get mine at the local Tower Records (they have an excellent news stand).

But, it's the official NAR magazine, I think. I believe a subscription comes with NAR membership.

Hope this helps,

Will

LOL - I checked out that 'other' forum - "recovery systems" doesn't seem to be a popular subject for discussion there! :D

Wik,

I got the Pencam Trio VGA at Wal-Mart THE DAY BEFORE I got the issue of sport rocketry with the camera article in it, that was freaky. Pencams are digital cameras that operate with two buttons, mode and shutter (easy to control with electronics); the trio is about 1.25" x .75" x 5" and slides loosely through a bt-60, (paper towel tube). It weighs about 60g with batteries and holds 26 decent pictures, at least on the ground; I haven't adapted it for flight yet. You can read the whole article at www.nira-rocketry.org It was originally published in The Leading Edge (Nov/Dec 2002) which is their newsletter and can be downloaded in .pdf at their website, can't remember if they have an html page for it or not. Bob Kaplow (author) used the AYUCR pencam controller sold at www.ayucr.com to control his pencam 2 which seems to be identical to the pencam trio vga for all practical purposes, check out the whole line at www.aiptek.com His pencam cost $50 US and the controller with cables and shipping costs about as much.

For me, $100 entirely for pictures is a little too much and I'm already ahead since my camera only cost $30. I think it would be a good idea to use a Basic Stamp Microcontroller to run the camera switches, since the Basic Stamp can be programmed from your computer to do all sorts of things. The Stamp would be programmed to close the switches momentarily in the right sequence and with appropriate timing. Then on another flight it could act as a staging and/or ejection timer, and on another it could be an altimeter, accelerometer, thermometer, etc. The BS-2 could combine these functions in a single flight. See the whole line at www.parallaxinc.com

Even with this camera/controller, I think the minimum power would be a D12 staged to an E9. Otherwise, go composite with single stage F and G. You can always cluster if you like, just make sure you're extra careful with flight prep; a dead rocket may live again - but dead payloads are cursed.

Wik wrote: "1st rule of life: Never, ever trust a temporary building ie: Tents, marquees and wooden huts."

That is why everyone should have a monolithic dome www.monolithicdome.com

Peace:cool:

Mike

WiK,

I split this thread up to keep it more on the original topic. There is a new thread in the LPR forum regarding NAR info as it didn't relate to this thread at all.

I also put your question about British Launches under the Events forum where it will have more of a chance to be seen.

If you need to take a thread in a different direction, please start a new one. :)

Back