Camera, what works??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two keychain cameras that I bought 10 years ago and recently rediscovered. One of them is dead due to a crash landing aboard one of my FSI upscales, but the other one just passed the test and should fly this weekend, maybe a couple of times. I went looking for replacements and the price has apparently gone the way of the housing market. I think mine may have cost me $20 delivered. These days the updated version sells from $35 to $90. Guess I got in at the right time.

MateCam 808 with the 120 wide angle lense, when it was affordable. Probably the most affordable cam now would be the one on the Estes EST7308 AstroCam.

What camera have you had the best luck using for on board video?
I’ve had pretty good luck with three models from the post-keychain Mobius line, starting with the Action Cam (full 1080p), the (now-discontinued) Mobius 2 (faster frame rate but issues with audio-video sync), and most recently the excellent Mobius Maxi (2.7k UHD resolution at 30 fps).

Here's a sample, the actual file recorded by the Mobius Maxi camera (rather than a re-rendered You Tube video).

Good skies,
GlueckAuf

Last edited:
I have used a Booster Vision for a number of years....still works OK. Much more recently, I received as a gift, a camera from Apogee that I've flown several times recently. It even survived a ballistic crash from 3000'....(charge didn't break apart rocket even though it had been ground tested and flown successfully before.)

I've used nothing but the original Mobius cam and Additive Aerospace shrouds.
I was planning on a Mobius-mini for one of my small rockets but seem to be scarce.
Short clip at half speed via MS Pic program

Attachments

• Dave's Patriot-Short.mp4
    12.6 MB
I have only used a RunCam 4k and it's worked fine for me. It survived a ballistic recovery from 1k feet too. I have it inside a custom 3D printed mount.

RunCam2 is now the most popular platform. Most people have had good success with them.

We purchased two 808's several years ago and got to fly one once. Lack of opportunity, not camera problems. I dug them out last year in preparation for a flight and both looked like this.
20210702_194520.jpg

They were only $10 each but it was still a disappointment. So, I'm watching this thread intently and planning....
BWHAHAHAHAAH!
Always planning.
*plotty fingers

MateCam 808 with the 120 wide angle lense, when it was affordable. Probably the most affordable cam now would be the one on the Estes EST7308 AstroCam.
$29.99 including rocket it's embedded in at AC Supply ($50 from Estes...). Anybody ever use these? Reliability? Can't imagine quality is all that great. Is it adequate for LPR/MPR below 2000 AGL, or just a waste of resources? https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-5325-astrocam-model-rocket-kit?search=Estes AstroCam

I’ve had pretty good luck with three models from the post-keychain Mobius line, starting with the Action Cam (full 1080p), the (now-discontinued) Mobius 2 (faster frame rate but issues with audio-video sync), and most recently the excellent Mobius Maxi (2.7k UHD resolution at 30 fps).

Here's a sample, the actual file recorded by the Mobius Maxi camera (rather than a re-rendered You Tube video).

Good skies,
GlueckAuf

Nice vid,

I see the igniter went along with the ride!

Kurt

Thank you all .... I just got an Estes AstroCam model, so I can fly the camera on my LVL2 test flight..........
Ground Test Videos look ok ..... Was hoping they would be higher def though.

The RunCam2 has great resolution but it's like 50 grams so needs a heavy motor. The 808 is okay (30fps) but still 27g so off center for LPR. The cube cams are lite, 17g and work fine on C motors. The Astrocam is the litest with same quality. I tape it on the side with masking tape. The AC I had was having troubles keeping a charge. Sandra mailed me a new one but I like the smaller letters on the old one. Oh well...

RunCam2 is now the most popular platform. Most people have had good success with them.
help
my runcam 2 4k is acting up.
It does not like a 128 U3 A4 SanDisk card formatted with EXFAT.
It works with a 64 g U3 A4 SanDisk extreme plus , formatted with FAT.
Also while using the WIFI app I can connect to camera but can not get the setting icon to open, the app locks up.
Have you used the USB to TV out cable with the runcam 2 4K to config the camera.

thanks

RunCam and never look back.
help
Also while using the WIFI app I can connect to camera but can not get the setting icon to open, the app locks up.
Have you used the USB to TV out cable with the runcam 2 4K to config the camera.

thanks

An adjunct thread could be had for recovery systems that minimize twist and sway so the video on the way back down (with the kids waving and running after it) would be a little more watchable... I've been mind-simming that off and on but no real time to do any thing about it!

help

thanks
Reformat the card and try again. Might be that the camera just doesn't like that card. I use Samsung Evo Select 128s and have zero issues across 4 different cards and several cameras.

As to the app, my default answer is 'delete and reinstall' as many apps go haywire with ANY phone updates.

Reformat the card and try again. Might be that the camera just doesn't like that card. I use Samsung Evo Select 128s and have zero issues across 4 different cards and several cameras.

As to the app, my default answer is 'delete and reinstall' as many apps go haywire with ANY phone updates.
I now use a Samsung 128 PRO U3 A2 with no card problems.
I have deleted , reboot, and reinstall many times with no luck .
thanks

Mobius for years, looking into RunCam now... :)

very cool . I had 808 #16 for about 12years, with very good luck.
I just got he 808 #32, with a 32 G U3 A2 card.
Your post "No shroud required "
How is the camera secured to the rocket?
what kind of battery life does your 808 # have?
I also like the newer mSetup.exe app.

I just use a screw with some good bite through the hole in the top of the camera and a patch of velcro underneath to keep it steady. I’ve used this exact set up on four different rockets with three different materials of airframe. Never had a problem. Even went through Mach like this. Not sure about battery life because I use them for such a short duration. But I do charge them about 15 minutes before each flight day.
06F17252-B10B-4AD5-BB77-48C1B2F5AC15.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not tracking here, what "No shroud required" post are you referring to please?

All Additive Aerospace shrouds I have used all had a shroud and were used (for both Mobius and Runcam2).

Best,

Back