Camera, what works??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I'm not tracking here, what "No shroud required" post are you referring to please?

All Additive Aerospace shrouds I have used all had a shroud and were used (for both Mobius and Runcam2).

Best,
He was referring to my post. #27. And the reason I say no shroud required is because the thing is shaped aerodynamically and it has a very low profile and the shroud just adds bulk and heft and extra drag. I understand they have to be used in some scenarios but I’ve had great luck without them with this particular camera.

I use the Additive Aerospace shroud.
"Not sure about battery life because I use them for such a short duration"
NOT ME!!!!
My level 1 cert was a LOC IV with the 808 #16 camera.
The flight duration was 4 months (rocket stuck in a tree).
I went back 6 times during the long hang time, to check on it.
The camera survived and I have great video of me and others staring at my rocket in a tree.

The pics are from my level 2 cert flight.
Rebuild ECLIPSE J-420 10 RED.
I used apogee deployment with a jolly Logic deployment at 500 feet.

Attachments

• Jolly logic chute system.jpg
    Jolly logic chute system.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • nose cone separation.jpg
    nose cone separation.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • plant city .jpg
    plant city .jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
I use the Additive Aerospace shroud.
"Not sure about battery life because I use them for such a short duration"
NOT ME!!!!
My level 1 cert was a LOC IV with the 808 #16 camera.
The flight duration was 4 months (rocket stuck in a tree).
I went back 6 times during the long hang time, to check on it.
The camera survived and I have great video of me and others staring at my rocket in a tree.

The pics are from my level 2 cert flight.
Rebuild ECLIPSE J-420 10 RED.
I used apogee deployment with a jolly Logic deployment at 500 feet.

I have tried using the R3 WiFi cameras. Features and quality seem reasonable but didn't have much success due to the electronics overheating and shutting down on the pad. Need to add some thermal control if you are thinking of using these in the hot sun.
VR1resize.jpg
https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6230&p=70976

Rfjustin: In his 02/03/2022 email at 1240, Orien commented "no shroud required". He's alluding to the rounded 'aerodynamic' shape of the Mobius 808 #32 keychain video camera in his palm in the photo. The rounded part of the camera is at the bottom in the photo, but of course you would mount it facing up in actual use, so the camera lens is pointed down. I bought one of these a couple weeks ago, and am really looking forward to flying it this year.
Bob Schultz

RunCam2 is now the most popular platform. Most people have had good success with them.

I still use the Mobius since I bought that assorted sizes pack of shrouds from you several years back. Otherwise, I would probably have tried the runcam 2 by now.

Looked at where the control buttons were on the runcam2 and it didn’t look like they would be accessible using the mobius shroud; in fact, it looked like the mobius shroud would depress the controls on a runcam 2.

Last edited:
A note for RunCam 2 4K owners and potential owners. This camera is VERY dependent on the type of SD card used. I have been in touch with RunCam support and they specifically call for Samsung U3 SD cards. I tried various other brands of U3 cards that work fine in other devices, but not at all in the RunCam. I have had success with a Samsung U1 card at lower resolutions and frame rates.

Short answer FWIW: Just use a Samsung SD card for the RunCam 2.

That video is beautiful! How are you mounting the camera?

Thanks, it a 3D printed fairing the camera slips into. Sorry for the poor image, it was taken from another larger picture. The graphic if from the design and used for the printout. It was printed in two pieces and just glued to the side of the rocket.RX0_Fairing.jpgFairing01.jpg

Back