Camera rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing how it goes up ... and how it comes down. A stable video platform for the way down makes sense, much more time to film some scenery.

Regarding the streamer on the fin
(@GlenP idea)

Yes, the rocket under chute will be drifting in the wind, but the rocket hanging will also have it's own drag. The streamer in theory (and hope) should pull the fin consistently downwind.

We will see.

Regarding the streamer on the fin
(@GlenP idea)

Yes, the rocket under chute will be drifting in the wind, but the rocket hanging will also have it's own drag. The streamer in theory (and hope) should pull the fin consistently downwind.

We will see.

Yeah, kind of like a tail on a kite, more for a drag weathervane to keep the rocket from spinning around under the chute on the way down. Could also use asymmetric fins, like have one large swept dorsal sail fin?

Last edited:
Yeah, kind of like a tail on a kite, more for a drag weathervane to keep the rocket from spinning around under the chute on the way down. Could also use asymmetric fins, like have one large swept dorsal sail fin?
Seems like it will be hanging right in view of the camera... anyway, will be interesting to see how it all works.

Good thought, although goal is to build a rocket that is not rotating on way UP and on the way DOWN.

I have more experience with asymmetric fins than most (and I am a big fan!), but I also like squirrelly flights (corkscrew/spiral—— net trajectory is straight but leaves a helical smoke trail) on many of my rockets (looks cool and I am not going for altitude anyway!), but not optimal for a camera.

the streamer will be on a shock cord and likely will be outside field of view, but again, only flight test will tell.

I noticed on my only flight so far on my newly made NASA Pegasus that the asymmetrical fins makes it belly flop nicely with a streamer.

My Estes jetliner with tube fin mock-engine pods doesn't spin.

My Astrocam spins always with it's fin set.

I think your rocket needs to be asymmetrical.

Back