Camera in an Estes Solar Flare: A couple of questions (Non electronics related)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanarin

Reaction score
I was debating on adding a camera into the Solar flare, and I had a coupe of questions.

1) Can the rocket itself even fit in any sort of camera in the playload section? I am willing to remove cases if need be.

2) Can the recommended sustainer motor (A10-3T) even lift the 2nd stage with a camera in it, or am I better off modifying the upper stage to run on 18mm motors?

3) How will stability be affected by adding a camera? I lack access to a openrocket/rocketsim file so I can't test any possible mods I need to make, so any guidance as to where to look would be appreciated.

Adding nose weight to a stable rocket makes it more stable.

The booster motor can barely lift the total normal rocket and the sustainer has difficulty if there is any wind whatsoever.

You can try it if there is zero wind and if you launch it off a six foot long steel rod 1/4" in diameter (yes, that means differrent launch lugs). It *MUST* build up airspeed before leaving the rod and the 6 foot rod is the best choice.

the 808 keychain spy camera is so small that adding it will not likely impact your performance at all. As long as it is secured in the payload bay and not shifting around. The added weight in the front end of your rocket will not hurt stability either. The plastic case on that thing can be removed if necessary which will reduce the already small amount of added weight.
so the short answer is go for it!

I was debating on adding a camera into the Solar flare, and I had a coupe of questions.

1) Can the rocket itself even fit in any sort of camera in the playload section? I am willing to remove cases if need be.

2) Can the recommended sustainer motor (A10-3T) even lift the 2nd stage with a camera in it, or am I better off modifying the upper stage to run on 18mm motors?

3) How will stability be affected by adding a camera? I lack access to a openrocket/rocketsim file so I can't test any possible mods I need to make, so any guidance as to where to look would be appreciated.

Great questions!!! :D

1 - You really don't want the camera inside the clear payload section... It looks clear, but any pictures taken thru the plastic will be badly distorted. ** Best (easiest) is having the camera on the outside of the rocket.*** HINT >> Just tape an 808 keychain "spy" camera to the rocket with a couple of wraps of electrical tape.

2 - Solar flare can fly (by it self) to about 700-800 feet on a calm day. When you add in the weight of a small camera, and the means to attach it, and the added drag... It will go up, but not so high. ***Better is any simple, single stage rocket that can fly on A-B-or C motors.***

3 - I'm attaching a Solar Flare sim file for you. It can be opened in Open Rocket or Rocksim.

View attachment estes_solarflare_kit2400.rkt

Great questions!!! :D

1 - You really don't want the camera inside the clear payload section... It looks clear, but any pictures taken thru the plastic will be badly distorted. ** Best (easiest) is having the camera on the outside of the rocket.*** HINT >> Just tape an 808 keychain "spy" camera to the rocket with a couple of wraps of electrical tape.

excellent point! however you can still mount it in the payload section if you add a small hole for the lens. that is a little tricky as you will have to make sure it can be secured in the exact location... but it is less drag than mounting it on the outside and you should be able to hit nearly max altitude.

Latest posts

Back