Camera for D12-5 Powered Estes Firebolt Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyTurbo

Reaction score
Hi,

Me and my son are relatively new to rocketry but are keen to get more involved and do new things each time we go to launch.

We bought an Estes Firebolt which has a clear section of the body in which we can place some form of payload. We're thinking of placing a small camera in there for a launch. A lego spaceman may make its way into the section for another launch...

We were wondering what camera we should use? I read a lot about 808s. Are they still the best option for the size we are talking or have they been superseded?

I'm not using a huge engine here so I think I need to go as light as possible. Wondered if anyone has some pointers on this?

Thanks in advance.

The 808 works well, but to mount it with the lens pointing to the side, or down it will have to be disassembled and modified to your payload section, though taping it to the side of the rocket has been done and thus no disassembly of the 808.
Amazon has parts for the 808 so you can put it in the payload section and run a ribbon cable to the lens and mount it wherever you want.
Would definitely make sure it is secured in the payload section as you don't want it bouncing around or loose where it could separate from the rocket.

Do we know of a reliable supplier for the 808? Or an Amazon link to an example?

Yep will definitely be securing it in some way. Had thought about somehow housing it in expanding foam which I could then just slide in and out of the section. Lots of problems with this as I'd need to create a liner for the clear payload section, place the camera in there, and apply the foam. Somehow ensuring the camera is not covered with the foam but just encases it nicely. I suspect I may just use tape...

I've read that the results of filming from within clear body tube sections can be a little disappointing. Sure it's clear, but it's not so clear when you're trying to get nice images filmed through it.

Most people are just taping (electrical) their 808's to the side of rockets and getting results like this:

Mind you, this is just the first video that popped up on a search for "808 camera rocket launch".

Thanks very much for the replies. I may consider cutting a small hole in the clear section of the body to improve the clarity of the video. Thanks for the tip! Will need to be careful not to split the section when doing this.

The USB mentioned by billdz looks great and a bargain price too. I wonder if I could easily deconstruct it so that it points out to the horizon rather than to the ground.

I do not recommend horizon view, it does not show much during ascent, see

If you want to go with horizon view, just get a pen camera, e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HD-Por...339743&hash=item4d7be05e7f:g:imsAAOSwvu5bjTwV
Remove the pocket clip so it lies flush and remove the bottom half of the pen.

Cheap (less than $10) cameras like the 808, the U8, the pen, and the USB all make decent video, but for really nice video and durability check out the Mobius and the RunCam.

The Mobius produces excellent video! It is a big "clunky" though for your rocket. For a rocket your size, an 808 would be great. My personal favorite before the Mobius was the 808 #16 V2 Lens D (wide-angle lens). You'll notice a huge difference between wide-angle and "standard."

Here's a great site with info all about microcameras: https://www.chucklohr.com/808/

I bought mine three years ago off eBay from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-8...Camera-HD-720P-Pocket-Camcorder-/180937263580

Back