Calling all Raptor owners!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
Anyone on the forum have a Hawk Mountain Raptor kit? Neil, I think you have one, right? I want to find out the length of the main airframe tube. I know people have flown it on a Rattworks I80, but will and I90 fit and still have room for a recovery system? The optional payload would have to be added for alt. based recovery of course.

TIA!:)

Yep. I got one. But I had em shorten it for me so I could get better altitude, so I cant help you with your I90 question. Its a very nice rocket, BTW. The fins come pre-airfoiled for ya!:cool:

Dunno.... I really forget. Quite a bit, though. The real kit is made to hold some OOP (?) 29MM J. I am never gonna use one of those (OOP), so I had them shorten it so there was room for an H125W and the streamer (I had them give me a streamer instead of a chute). Its not very long now. The motor tube is about 10-20" long, so there might not be enough support for a hybrid anyway. You see, this is not really a min. diamter. it is about 1.3 somethin ID, and you gotta put this little piece of fiberglass 29MM tubing (included) in there to hold the motor. Its enough for any APCP motor, but its pretty bad for hybrids.:(

I know nothing of hybrids, I am just under the impression that they need support along thier entire lenth, not just the back or middle or something.

Ya don't need support all the way up the motor, enough to hold it in place is plenty. The only thing you have to watch out for is nitrous venting, which is easily accomplished with a short section of fill line snipped off and stuck in the vent port on the RATTs.

Sounds like a good idea Eric. You can borrow my H70 or I80 if you wanna test it before trying the yardstick :)

Originally posted by daveyfire
Sounds like a good idea Eric. You can borrow my H70 or I80 if you wanna test it before trying the yardstick :)

:D :D

How do you "borrow" a motor? You can only use it once...:rolleyes: ;) :D

Interesting. In a discussion about lenths of motor mounts in some other thread, I heard that if you dont have support all the way up (or at least to the point where the two tanks join. You would think that would be weak...), it doesent work:confused:

You tell me, you know more about hybrids than I do;)

Since the RATT is a monotube hybrid, it doesn't need support past the first couple inches. It looks just like any other AT or Dr Rocket motor, except it's blue (they're purple now) and really long.

I meant the case silly :p

Ah. So who makes the other ones, again? (go ahead, dummy-slap me.) is it Hypertek?

Hypertek makes the other type.....with hyperteck you screw the fuel grain onto the nitrous tank by way of a bell. the RATT are floating injector hybrids and have a single casing. The grain sits at the bottom and at the top there is an Urbansky-Colburn (wow I butchered that) and above that the rest of the tank is filled with Nitrous. when you burn the hose that goes through the nozzle through the grain to the valve nitrous spills out

Interesting. Im stickin with APCP for a wile, thanks. :rolleyes: ;) :p :eek:

I have this very combo and fly it a lot in the summer. The I80 is the biggest Ratt the will fit unless you get a longer tube. With my I80 in the Raptor I have just enough room for shock cord, small chute and bulkhead for the electronics bay. You will have to check, but I think the I90 is about 6" longer than the I80?? See if you can get a raptor cut longer by the difference.

Geoff

Originally posted by Bullpup
I have this very combo and fly it a lot in the summer. The I80 is the biggest Ratt the will fit unless you get a longer tube. With my I80 in the Raptor I have just enough room for shock cord, small chute and bulkhead for the electronics bay. You will have to check, but I think the I90 is about 6" longer than the I80?? See if you can get a raptor cut longer by the difference.

Geoff

That is about what I thought. I put together a rough simulation and figured that I would need a longer tube. I plan to order the kit and also a second airframe tube as Hawk Mountain makes them up to 52 inches long.

I'm still waiting for my I-90. 8-(

Len Bryan

Back