calling all ex-participants/current participants of TARC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hello all. First of all, how many people on The Rocketry Forum have participated in TARC before? Second, to all those people who have, how much money did your project require? How did you all source those funds? Rocketguts.com isn't fundraising as much money as we thought it would, and are looking for more ideas. Has anyone had any luck with car washes?
Thanks.

I competed...:)

Second: With staging timer, about 200 (excluding entry fee...) We got sponsors from various businesses and put their logo on the rocket. We didn't even do a car-wash.. We raised almost 500, so the next years team will have 100 of spending money right away... But ill be purchasing a decal pretty soon (probably... just need to think of a name...) So don't go out of business yet!

Justin

1. I have

2. At least $1,000 probably more, $500 from our school and we're trying to get money to cover the rest. We have a deal with a local pizza place. They give us these cards for reduced prices on pizza, etc. We sell them for $5 and keep all the profit. It can save people $60 or so.
We hope to sell 400 cards

Wow! Sponsors from businesses?! Were they small local ones, or larger nationwide ones? Did you just explain what you were doing and if they wanted an advertisment on your rocket? I'm assuming you made it to the finals, or otherwise their logo wouldn't be any good on your rocket. How far into the project were you when you got the sponsors? It seems like a daunting task, especially if your team has never had any experience in TARC before. I'm sure the sponsors are looking for veterans with a working rocket and have previously placed near the top. The only things my team can refer to when it comes to credit are previous science competition and academic grades.

It was our first year in TARC. No, we didn't make it to the finals, and no, the businesses didn't care too much about the logos. Mostly they just felt happy to be helping high school kids in a competition. I am pretty sure no company sponsored us for a logo. That was mostly our appreciation, and a bit of advertising for them.

They were local businesses. Circuit city said they wanted too, but had already used up their sponsor/ad money. Oh well. :)
The buisiness owners were great people, and thats why they sponsored us.

I competed
I probably spent about 1200 dollars. I had no sponsor, had to replca two altimeaters, and did not have Indepenance, which will save you an amazing amount of money. Also, you will not need altimeters. I paid it all off, though (3rd Place)

Originally posted by Tarc3
I competed
I probably spent about 1200 dollars. I had no sponsor, had to replca two altimeaters, and did not have Indepenance, which will save you an amazing amount of money. Also, you will not need altimeters. I paid it all off, though (3rd Place)

Indepenance? What is it, and why will it save you money.

It's good to know my team wasn't the only one that spent about $1200, unfortunatly for us, it didn't pay off

Originally posted by xenon
It's good to know my team wasn't the only one that spent about $1200, unfortunatly for us, it didn't pay off

Wow! What all did you spend it on? I mean, that's alot! Lemme see.. 200 dollar entry fee, 100 altimer for staging, 200 in motors for lots of test flights, 150 for a really expensive rocket and random pieces... That's only $650?:confused:

I was on Tarc3's team with my bro(hence the 3 on the end of his name) and I definately attest to the $1200 cost. We had to replace the rocket about 3 times...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :kill: MANY parts had to be replaced over and over and...well you got it. It was a good experience but EXPENSIVE. We atleast had fortunate, understanding, caring parents.:D :D

We learned from experience. We now am looking for business sponsors EARLY and we are trying to raise money from Underdog Rockets...which is not working out the best either. One thing TARC has taught us is PERSISTANCE PAYS!! Believe me. DO NOT give up. Look at us. We lost our rocket 2 weeks before the finals and still placed top 3.

I sponsored and mentored a team from my old high school. I quit keeping track of how much it cost after I crossed the $1000 mark. I didn't want to know.
I would only guess around $1500 ish, not factoring in taking off from work early.
The largest, single cost was motors for test flights. It wasn't uncommon to do between four and seven test flights on any given launch day. Most of the prototype designs were 3 D's in the booster and one D in the sustainer. An early design used a composite to a BP motor, which crashed. That's a lot of motors. Composite motors can vary in cost from $12 each to over $27 like the Cessoroni G 69. Then if you go with reloadable motors, there is the investment in motor casings. The second biggest expense was replacing rockets or boosters that: were damaged on landing, or burned up due to a back lit booster motor, or failed to stage and came in ballastic, etc. It was a great learning experience for all the students that participated. This team didn't make it to the finals, but can't wait to try again this year. They had a huge learning curve to overcome. Only two of the students had built a basic rocket before. By April they perfected their skills and not one single flight pranged during the final testing. Their problem was we ran out of time. By April they were just breaking the 1000 foot mark.
I can't emphasize this enough:
Start working on your rockets as soon as possible!

Also remember that "Rocksim is your best friend". Use it and use it often. After you finish your prototype, weight your rocket and enter this value in Rocksim's mass overide feature. Rerun your simulations. This will help you save time and money in future designs.

Another way to save money is to order parts, like body tubes, in bulk. You could easily use over two dozen tubes in the whole process. Balsa Machining Service is a great source for parts in bulk.

This suggestion might work better in more rural/ small town settings:
Visit local organizations like the Lions, American Legion, VFW, Rotory Club, etc. Explain to them about TARC. If their budget isn't already spoken for, they might be able to help with a small donation. Many of these organizations do charitable gambling to raise money for community projects. The only problem is that the pie is only so big and that there are numerous good causes out there. You never know if you don't ask. Please be courteous all the time, especially if they give you any assistance. Maybe bring in your rockets to one of their meetings and give a short talk about your experience at the end of the contest. A few updates along the way would be appreciated.

Their might be members in your local NAR sections willing to help as well. You never know if you don't ask.

This year will be even better.
#1. Teams made up of youth organizations like 4-H, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc. can enter the contest. If your school won't let you participate for whatever reason, now you and your friends can enter through your club.
#2. This year is a precision duration event ( time to be announced), so your models can be built a little stronger if you choose to.

I would like to congratulate everyone who put in the effort to enter last year's contest! You gained valuable skills that you can use elsewhere later in life. Please consider entering again this year, it's worth every penny!
:)

Originally posted by Justin Horne
Wow! What all did you spend it on? I mean, that's alot! Lemme see.. 200 dollar entry fee, 100 altimer for staging, 200 in motors for lots of test flights, 150 for a really expensive rocket and random pieces... That's only $650?:confused:

$200 for entry, $75 for staging timer, $60 for E-matches for top stage ignition and deployment, $75 for parts for first rocket, $50 for second rocket, $100 to replace broken parts, $40 for motor case, $375 for 20 test flights,$225 for other misc. things like an optical tracker, eggs, etc.
getting to launch rockets all winter long, priceless. :D

Start early, fly often

Independance Air is a new airline that is really cheap. This year, I can fly to Washington for like 125 per eprson as opposed to about 250.

Back