Call to Apogee on RockSim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
It is time for RockSim 10. I would love to see the ability to make fin cans and nose cones that export 3d print files.

Great idea Chuck. I would also like to see the Mach "curve" algorithm changed so it is more accurate for low to mid Mach flights, like OR. I may not be explaining this technically accurate, it was discussed in a thread several years ago.

As I recall from watching the NARCON Manufacturer's Forum video that Tim posted, someone asked him if RockSim 10 could import .stl files (no - RockSim needs the mathematical definition of the shapes) but I don't think exporting TO something that could be 3D printed was mentioned. Interesting idea.

And be compatible with MAC. It Will not run with the latest upgrades.

Great idea Chuck. I would also like to see the Mach "curve" algorithm changed so it is more accurate for low to mid Mach flights, like OR. I may not be explaining this technically accurate, it was discussed in a thread several years ago.

Correct. The Mach drag model is really bad and should have been fixed by now. However, just about everything else in RS is superior to OR in my opinion.

You can do transitions and nose cones. I would like to see fin cans.

I think you are asking a bit much from a hobby flight simulator that includes very basic rocket design modeling. Fin cans can be quite complex with fillets, cross section changes, etc. If you are printing real parts, you should be using a real CAD program.

If exporting is just a matter of translation (which it is) then the data is already there and the only lack is a more complete understanding and/or implementation of the STL format.

This is really interesting. I would never have thought of this but it would be a great feature, and it's something that, in theory, the sim I'm working on is able to do by default. In fact, I've been exporting mesh files for testing purposes. It's my understanding that 3d software has a couple of constraints but they aren't limiting. Only problem at the moment is that the 3d meshes aren't always cooperating, but that's a bug that will be fixed once I have the core software built.

In the meantime...if there is a specific shape that you would like modeled in 3D, let me know. If I have some extra time I can maybe work something up for you in Blender. I might not be able to do certain things, but I'll give it a shot for some things. If it's an ogive nose cone I can make the mesh on my simulator and then fill in the missing triangles with 3d software and probably get it back pretty quickly.

And be compatible with MAC. It Will not run with the latest upgrades.
So I, as well as everyone here at Apogee, run RockSim on a Mac. Perhaps you could let me know more specifically what the problem you are running into is, and I might be able to help?

I'm running RockSim 10 on a MacBook Pro running Catalina

Just another data point to consider and glad to answer questions on my experience (upgraded the license, installed after disabling checks per the instructions, re-enabled the checks post-installation). It's great that Apogee is on this thread as well

It is time for RockSim 10. I would love to see the ability to make fin cans and nose cones that export 3d print files.
So I have some news on this front. Currently, RockSim can actually do this, albeit in a roundabout way.
If you want to create a fin can in RockSim and export to STL, you just need to create it separately. If you make a new file, add a "body tube" of the correct dimensions, then add the fins you want, you can then export that entire file to STL. Just print and slide over your actual body tube.

That being said, we know this is how it CAN be done, not how it SHOULD be done. Getting the correct functionality there is now on our devs to-do.

So I have some news on this front. Currently, RockSim can actually do this, albeit in a roundabout way.
If you want to create a fin can in RockSim and export to STL, you just need to create it separately. If you make a new file, add a "body tube" of the correct dimensions, then add the fins you want, you can then export that entire file to STL. Just print and slide over your actual body tube.

That being said, we know this is how it CAN be done, not how it SHOULD be done. Getting the correct functionality there is now on our devs to-do.

I make my own nose cones with a 3D printer. I am not sure I see how to export the tube/fin can.

Anyone ever see how to do this?

I have not seen any recent Apogee Components newsletters or Advanced Construction Videos on the topics in this thread.

I picked up on on this thread about a month ago as I was interested in generating a plastic version of a BNC-60Y nose cone that could house a GPS tracker. I consider myself a novice in both Rocksim v10 and 3D printing in general, but was willing to 'brute force' my way through this and learn along the way.

Using info gleaned from the Apogee Peak of Flight Newsletter #476 ( https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter476.pdf ), I was able to export an .STL file of the nose cone from Rocksim, but I noted that it exported as a solid object. Via some brief testing, I determined that it did not matter if the nose cone was in the database as a balsa nose cone or plastic nose cone - either form exported as a solid in Rocksim 10 necessitating some further work.

Continuing on, I pulled the .STL file into TinkerCAD and, through trial and error (and much learning) was able to hollow out the nose cone and then fabricate a screw-on base that could also hold a LabRat sled for the tracker (see images).
PNC-60Y (v2.0a) View 1.jpgPNC-60Y (v2.0a) View 2.jpg

I'm waiting for an initial print to evaluate the design and tweak if necessary. I'll provide an update with pics of the printer objects when available.

In the meanwhile, I'd also like to see Apogee address the solid vs. hollowed-out exports. I could understand that a 'BNC'-specified nose cone was solid, but would request that a 'PNC'-specified nose cone generate a hollow 3D export or just support an option at the point of exporting the file.

I have noticed that my sims are more optimal in Rocksim 10, than they ever were in Rocksim 9. What I am saying is that the air speed at deployment has been coming out at 25 mph or less much more often than before. I sim the same rocket and motor in Rocksim 9 and then in Rocksim 10 to arrive at the results below:

I edited this post because my results were skewed due to the “Launch Conditions.” I forgot that I had Rocksim 9 set to the conditions at Black Rock Desert, whereas Rocksim 10 was set at entirely different conditions.

Last edited:
Back