Caliber ISP - Level 2 build

Discussion in 'High Power Rocketry (HPR)' started by downhill_D, Feb 2, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Mar 3, 2019 #31

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

That will certainly save weight! I found a "black powder" I think will suffice, hodgon fffg but sulphur free. I will be trying some small trials tomorrow with wells and maybe work up to a few shear pin trials.

Thanks for the info! I might need to use the tape method some day.

2. Mar 10, 2019 #32

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

I drilled up the av bay and installed three rivets, mounted the stratto on the board and am ready to wire it up for drilling ports and doing trials! I also repaired two other rockets that zippered in some heavier winds at the last launch! A productive day indeed. Pictures later!

EeebeeE likes this.
  3. Mar 10, 2019 #33

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

It is coming together. This is my very first av bay. What guage does everyone use for their wire? I do understand tinned stranded ends are recommended for these altimeter connectors and not solid wire.

I will definitely use the higher quality 9v connector I got from the apogee peeps. Frys electronics is now almost a ghost town for small parts. They did have 9volt connectors but they all used vinyl covered connectors and the nice one is a durable plastic covered connector.

Attached Files:

4. Mar 12, 2019 #34

Theory

Theory

Theory

Looks like you are on the right track so far.

I recommend using zip-ties to secure your 9v. Very strong and easily replaced

downhill_D likes this.
  5. Mar 16, 2019 #35

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

Thanks!

I think I plan to install the 9v with zipties and vertical support board glued to the av board-still working it out. I sent my eggtimer tracker and wifi switch to be built. I just dont have that kind of experience with soldering...yet. Some of the solders I worried about connecting with neighboring solders. They are CLOSE on some of the boards.

Once I have the tracker and switch I will feel better about trying higher altitude. I might get her maiden flight in about a week if the orders arrive.

6. Mar 16, 2019 #36

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

With and without a switchband payload (riveted payload).

Attached Files:

Tim51 likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2019 #37

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

BP charge testing tomorrow! I have seen the Pratt hobby version of bp charges and will do something similar but have my own screw cap style micro centrifuge tubes. Will this cause any unwanted shrapnel effect? I may try the masking tape method. I don't want to tear or rip my cute or Nomex blanket.

8. Mar 17, 2019 #38

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

ok. The sealed screw cap style centrifuge tubes (plastic) that I have worked very well under a steel bucket for my match test but it was more like a firecracker. I made the matches using telephone wires with soldered nichrome but no pyrogen for the first trials. The .5 fffg powder packed with dog barf, popped loudly under the steel bucket I used for safety and I uncovered well shredded/broken plastic bits of the centrifuge tube. I think I will modify the cap to something else-the screw cap tube worked almost too well-it popped like a firecracker. Is this what we want the DD wells to do? Perhaps a masking tape bundle really is better.

9. Mar 21, 2019 #39

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

I am going to spend some time looking at other electronics bays from members in my club before finalizing mine at our next launch and ask a bunch of questions. The Caliber is ready to fly single deployment at this point but I will update with more pictures once the switch band bay is complete. The above test using centrifuge tubes with caps created a lot of plastic shrapnel that I'm sure would cut the Nomex blankets. So I am going to try a different method-I have some old aluminum bearing spacers that make perfect sized wells for DD and can be drilled. They are just aluminum tubes with heavy walls but I would need to create a base of some sort.

I am curious, Who has the altitude record for a Caliber ISP?

10. Mar 28, 2019 #40

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

So thank to my club memebrrs and all THEIR hard work on their own rockets I was able to gather a lot more GOOD information on how to approach my av bay and charges. We have a level 3 in our club who has stellar electronics and he helped me the most! He showed me how he used his nosecone to house the main chute and it is fired out of the nose cone (had had an instance where the chute got blown into the nosecone and didn’t work) so he reversed the charge location to behind the chute at the top of the nosecone firing out. I am very appreciative of those who are much more experienced helping people like me. One of the main reasons I love this hobby-people WANT to help you! Anyway-I still have a bit of work on my bay before I can test shear pins. It is much easier though once you understand how it is supposed to go together. I will update once I have more pictures of completion to show.

Theory likes this.
  11. Apr 8, 2019 #41

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

Looks like I might have an "I" motor or two in from a past order for our next launch! I am ready to give the Caliber some Level 1 flights at low altitudes to learn about how my Strattologger...logs and works. I won't be using any charges this time around as I had a recent work trip keep me from this project but I can still use the altimeter against another brand altimeter for data results comparison! This will help me tune in the Cd for this rockets level 2 motor flights later in the year. I like to be closer to accurate on flight estimates in Rocksim, I can just feel better about motor choices!

12. Apr 17, 2019 #42

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

Okay! Here is the Caliber ISP's launch pad pic (sorry, video is too large right now). The motor used was simulated using Rocksim 9. The flight was near perfect in every way. I used the jolly logic chute release with just a main parachute and no drogue, a first for me. It was a little nerve racking waiting for the chute with no drogue but it went well.

using the jolly logic alt2
    Altitude: 3096 ft
    Top Speed: 389 mph
    Burn Time: 2.34 seconds

Attached Files:

• 417.JPG
      417.JPG
      File size:
      117.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    grouch likes this.
  13. Apr 18, 2019 #43

Rocketjunkie

Rocketjunkie

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP

Post your video to YouTube or vimeo and post the link here. It will show a preview pane.
    This is my Caliber on a long burn research I85 (38/720 case).
    Like this:

downhill_D likes this.
  14. Apr 19, 2019 #44

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

Eggtimer Tracker, Eggtime wifi switch and lcd display kit are now assembled thank to Connor! This weekend I will install the tracker in the switch-band. I need to put the lcd display and battery pack (all assembled!) into the box and that wont be hard at all-those solders he did though-wow! That still looks tough even after watching videos of people making it look easy. I am glad I used Connor for the building! Thanks Connor! Highly recommend!

The switchband I have has brass rails on my altimeter board instead of cardboard-will this affect the tracker? I can just build another one using non-metal parts if needed.

I'll have to post the launch video (from above) this weekend when I have a little more time to decipher my youtube password-been a while since I have used it.

15. Apr 21, 2019 #45

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

Thanks for the tip!

My Caliber ISP in an I215-14 redline!

16. May 5, 2019 #46

downhill_D

downhill_D

downhill_D

So after countless attempts everything did not fit the way I wanted on the original switchband kit. That is fine because as it turns out I am handy like the rest of you hobbyists out there so I made a new one with updates.

The original sled in the bluetube av bay kit has brass rails. My tracker needs to have as little metal around it as possible for the antenna to work so I used the same cardboard tubes we get with HPR igniters for the sled. I used waterproof wood glue to attach them to my new sled made from 1/4” “lite-ply” - still lighter than the normal 1/8” stuff ;) by about 50%. This presented a minor challenge with the nylon corcuit board standoffs not reaching through the sled. I tapped the holes for the standoffs with a new micro tap set I had gotten from amzn months back.

Once I had the design I thought would work I added an upright wall to add more real estate to the sled :) I have a wifi switch that will go opposite the altimeter but am keeping it simple for first tests. Anyone used a wifi switch with a strattologger?

Anyway here it is:

Attached Files: