Calculating the parachute size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magin

Reaction score
Hi guys! We are building rocket and now we must calculate the parachute size but ı could't find out the calculating. I need some help. Here is the deal of rocket:
  • Mass: 12.000 kg
  • We will do dual deployment. First we have to calculate drague parachute and then main parachute.
  • How should we decide how many pieces the parachute must have?
  • İn this site https://descentratecalculator.onlinetesting.net/ ı don't know the skyangel size,what are they meaning ?
  • Our first drague parachute will open on apogee (1500m) and the main parachute will open 500m.
These are the detail of our rocket.

SkyAngle is a brand (manufacturer) of parachute. That option is given as opposed to using a standard, hexagonal chute available from most vendors.

Do you need to produce the mathematics to show how you arrived at the chute size? Or are you just wanting to know what size chute?

If the latter, a drogue descent rate should be about 23 meters per second. Main descent rate should be about 5 meters per second.

If you are buying chutes, you need to know the diameter, and whether you are measuring point-to-point or edge-to-edge for hexagonal chutes.

By the way, if you are making your own chutes, you will need some way of figuring out the drag coefficient in order to know what descent weight you will get.

SkyAngle is a brand (manufacturer) of parachute. That option is given as opposed to using a standard, hexagonal chute available from most vendors.

Do you need to produce the mathematics to show how you arrived at the chute size? Or are you just wanting to know what size chute?

If the latter, a drogue descent rate should be about 23 meters per second. Main descent rate should be about 5 meters per second.

If you are buying chutes, you need to know the diameter, and whether you are measuring point-to-point or edge-to-edge for hexagonal chutes.

By the way, if you are making your own chutes, you will need some way of figuring out the drag coefficient in order to know what descent weight you will get.
We are making our own chutes. ı just wanted the know what size the our chutes must have. Actually we have parachute but that parachute is for paragliding. ı think it's enough to make a rocket chutes. We will sewing our chutes from paragliding parachute.

We are making our own chutes. ı just wanted the know what size the our chutes must have. Actually we have parachute but that parachute is for paragliding. ı think it's enough to make a rocket chutes. We will sewing our chutes from paragliding parachute.
Most vendors of pre-made chutes can tell you their coefficient of drag. If you are making your own, you will need to find a way to calculate this. I don't know enough about that to help.

Hello there, please give me a call at (612) 599-2292 and I’d love to help you out with your decent rates. Thanks so much!

Co-efficient of drag isn't something I usually found for commercial chutes, although I haven't shopped for any for a while. Usually you get a table of decent rate vs. rocket weight. This can work just as well.
If you really want to understand parachutes, how to make them and calculations about them, consider studying this. https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a247666.pdf

There are other texts that have a lot of the engineering and design info for chutes. Google is you friend...

Hey Buddy!

I can suggest you something. Instead of finding out ideal size for your application, try a range of dimensions and a few types of parachutes in mind first. Then, design those models using some online tools. Once all the possible designs are ready, you can ask help from certain simulation related companies to simulate your designs in your desired operating conditions. In that way, you'll be able to reach the accurate dimensions quickly. Making a judgement based on visual aids is always better than mere theoretical tabular data.

Reach out freely if you need any further guidance.

Best Wishes
Ishan Banerjee

Back