CAD files?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob702Martinez

Zip-Tie Oversight Committee
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to get started in making parts in the garage.

Does anyone have CAD files to get me started?
Fins, bulkheads, bevels, missiles etc..

Thanks in advance

Rob
What type of machine do you have to make the parts with ?

If you are a veteran you can get a copy of Solidworks 2016 for $25 a year

Bobby

Autodesk 360 Fusion is free if you make less than $100k a year with it. It is really intuitive, so you can be making CAD files of bulkheads, and other simple parts within a few hours at most.

Just starting out on the software side, the machine is not here yet, openbuilds c beam 3 axis. Pretty excited to dive in.

Planning on using
sketchup make for CAD
SketchuCAM for CAM
Camotics for simulation
Grbl to the controller.

I believe this is the workflow software path. Alternatives? Advice?

.dwg .dxf .skp

You'll probably be after DXF (2D), IGES, STEP or STL files for 'generic' 3D stuff.. Each have their quirks, each have their benefits..

Autodesk 360 Fusion is free if you make less than $100k a year with it. It is really intuitive, so you can be making CAD files of bulkheads, and other simple parts within a few hours at most.

Hey Dok - I am about to abandon my present software and venture into some new programming software (both CAD and CAM), and will evaluate Fusion 360. I only see two versions on their site, I do not see reference to the free version although I have heard this from numerous sources. What info do you (or anyone?) have on this free version? I wonder how capable it is for commercial job shop type work which can include 3d surfacing. Hmmm........

Not looking forward to another new learning curve but want to establish a new system and stick it out for another few years.

KISS on the rocketry stuff..... a centering ring for a router is two circles, fins are the outline, fancy things with lots of holes are just more circles. A 3D model is fun to look at but ALL of my parts production jobs are done with flat 2D CAD. Bevels could be carved, but they're usually a feature on both sides of a part and THAT requires flipping it in a fixture of some sort. A purpose built grinder or sanding fixture is much faster in the long term.

I use Vcarve Pro, there's another Vectric product called Cut2D which is mostly CAM but a little bit of CAD, it's designed to import 2d vector art and provide tool path outputs. Cut2D is pretty affordable, there are freebie vector drawing packages.

In VCarve Pro there's an add on widget that imports .CSV files into vectors- that's something you can do in Rocksim- in the fin design dialog there's an export option, with CSV as one of the formats. Almost never imports as a closed vector though, the root edge is usually missing. I draw the fin shapes out of OR or Rocksim using the coordinate pairs list in the free-form fin dialog.... if fins are drawn as trapezoid style, I use the convert to free-form and then use the coordinates. It's quick to redraw that way.

Here's an example of a nosecone bulkhead and mount for a 5" wound cone/coupler setup. On the right- the 4 larger circles were distorted into slight ovals and then the overlapping vectors were trimmed back to make the mount piece. Note that the lid/plate vectors were included in that drawing as well, including the small holes which are clearance for #10. They'll be spotted with the 1/8 endmill and then drilled out, easier to get good holes that way. Stack up the parts, everything will line up, then peel them apart into separate components. The ability to trim vectors is very useful.

Nat Kinsey
UpscaleCNC

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:
+1 on V Carve Pro - awesome software and very intuitive! I didn't know you use that too Nat!

Hey Dok - I am about to abandon my present software and venture into some new programming software (both CAD and CAM), and will evaluate Fusion 360. I only see two versions on their site, I do not see reference to the free version although I have heard this from numerous sources. What info do you (or anyone?) have on this free version? I wonder how capable it is for commercial job shop type work which can include 3d surfacing. Hmmm........

Not looking forward to another new learning curve but want to establish a new system and stick it out for another few years.

I sent this by PM, but for anyone else you can go here: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/free-trial and follow the directions under "Free for startups, hobbyists..." Section on the right hand part of page.

It certainly looks capable of handling about any jobs. I designed my do it yourself CNC router in it. It looks like it would be excellent for 3D printing as well. Being new to all this fancy stuff I am only now establishing my workflow for this kind of thing, so I wanted the most robust solution I could find.

Last edited:
KISS on the rocketry stuff..... a centering ring for a router is two circles, fins are the outline, fancy things with lots of holes are just more circles. A 3D model is fun to look at but ALL of my parts production jobs are done with flat 2D CAD. Bevels could be carved, but they're usually a feature on both sides of a part and THAT requires flipping it in a fixture of some sort. A purpose built grinder or sanding fixture is much faster in the long term.

I use Vcarve Pro, there's another Vectric product called Cut2D which is mostly CAM but a little bit of CAD, it's designed to import 2d vector art and provide tool path outputs. Cut2D is pretty affordable, there are freebie vector drawing packages.

In VCarve Pro there's an add on widget that imports .CSV files into vectors- that's something you can do in Rocksim- in the fin design dialog there's an export option, with CSV as one of the formats. Almost never imports as a closed vector though, the root edge is usually missing. I draw the fin shapes out of OR or Rocksim using the coordinate pairs list in the free-form fin dialog.... if fins are drawn as trapezoid style, I use the convert to free-form and then use the coordinates. It's quick to redraw that way.

Here's an example of a nosecone bulkhead and mount for a 5" wound cone/coupler setup. On the right- the 4 larger circles were distorted into slight ovals and then the overlapping vectors were trimmed back to make the mount piece. Note that the lid/plate vectors were included in that drawing as well, including the small holes which are clearance for #10. They'll be spotted with the 1/8 endmill and then drilled out, easier to get good holes that way. Stack up the parts, everything will line up, then peel them apart into separate components. The ability to trim vectors is very useful.

Nat Kinsey
UpscaleCNC

+1 on doing this kind of stuff in "2.5D" I have a variant of the OpenBuilds OX and do most of my line drawing in Inkscape (free) and then use CamBam for my CAM work. CamBam and Vectric are 2 of the main entry CAM softwares you see for hobbiest. CAD has plenty of free options, CAM not so much

For 2.5D parts I use SheetCam to create the CAM files. I tried a couple different CAM tools and SheetCAM was the easiest to pick up and it's relatively cheap ($149).

I usually use TurboCAD to draw the parts and then export a DXF for SheetCAM. You can also create a drawing in Fusion360 and export a DXF from there.

Thanks for the input. I tried several programs over the weekend....Fusion 360 is my new cad and cam program. Still using camotics to simulate. Looking at Mach3 for the controler software.

Thanks for the input. I tried several programs over the weekend....Fusion 360 is my new cad and cam program. Still using camotics to simulate. Looking at Mach3 for the controler software.

I have read good things about Chillipeppr for grbl, but haven't tried it yet. Glad you liked Fusion 360, just amazing that they give away a product that powerful and intuitive. The YouTube videos from them are very good also.

If you go with Mach3 I ***HIGHLY*** recommend getting Mach Standard Mill to run on top of it. Properly set up it will do things like automatic tool measurement and probing.

If you go with Mach3 I ***HIGHLY*** recommend getting Mach Standard Mill to run on top of it. Properly set up it will do things like automatic tool measurement and probing.

Thanks Chris, pretty cool you responded, spent a few hours reading lots of your posts last night. Very good info! I looked at mach3 today, then saw the "recommended" software.
It looks like the physical controler hardware is a Cnc ProX V3 it says only to use unversal g code sender.

Anyone use UGS?

Back