Cable Cutter Success?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm building a rocket right now that intend to order Archetype Cable Cutters for. I've heard mixed reviews about their use. I'm wondering about the general consensus on using it.

Yes I do realize that I could just use motor eject and a JLCR instead. This rocket is not just about simplicity. It's a specific design utilizing new methods that I intend to learn more about.

I have a set. I haven't use the yet, but if I do there will be lots of ground-testing. A friend has had less than stellar experiences with them.

I have a few and have used them successfully. It's important to clean them well after use. I've have no issues.

Basically treat them as I would a RMS case? Clean immediately, lightly grease the threads, etc?

Any specific advice on what has given you such success vs other's experiences? I'd really like to make a set work successfully.

I threw mine away after the little piston got permanently stuck inside the tube. Maybe I used too much black powder. I only used it 3 or 4 times.

I've used them a bunch. The only time one failed to cut the zip tie was when I used the powder from a CTI ejection charge. Other than that I have 20+ successful flights. Cleaning them right away is important. I ground tested a handful of times to help boost my confidence in them prior to any flights.

Have a pair of them but have never used them. Been using a Chute Release instead as a number of my rockets are not set up for standard dual deploy, i.e. no room for an altimeter.

We have a few, and I'm using one in my Lil' Rascal. 100% success rate on the six flights I've logged. I'm planning on using another on a couple of rockets too small for the JLCR. With the lower prices on small altimeters, you could get an SLCF and a cable cutter for less than a JLCR. Then you have a recording altimeter that you can download.
Prairie Twister sells 2 for $50, with a bunch of supplies included.

https://ptrocketry.blogspot.com/p/store_28.html

Never have a fail, I always use 2 on the same zip tie as redundancy, I soak them in vinegar follow by a good rinsing.

We have a few, and I'm using one in my Lil' Rascal. 100% success rate on the six flights I've logged. I'm planning on using another on a couple of rockets too small for the JLCR. With the lower prices on small altimeters, you could get an SLCF and a cable cutter for less than a JLCR. Then you have a recording altimeter that you can download.
Prairie Twister sells 2 for $50, with a bunch of supplies included.

https://ptrocketry.blogspot.com/p/store_28.html

Is Prairie Twister still selling direct? I heard he didn't do direct sales any more.

I have one and have used it successfully. Like others wrote, keep it clean and make sure to use enough BP. Only failures I've had were by skimping on the BP.

I've used mine a few times and they worked fine. They're in projects where the JLCR is too big. Get the cleaning kit and review the video about using 2 O rings.
Apparently with some of them the seal wasn't competent and powder could leak out resulting in a failure.
A possible point of failure is having proper strain relief for the ematch so it doesn't get ripped out of the terminals. I use something like Kevlar fishing line to do
interrupted ties of the ematch wire to the harness with some slack in the wire and perhaps a few turns around the quick link or eyebolt with the match wire.
I try to visualize the assembly flopping around in the slipstream and do whatever to make sure the wire doesn't break or lose contact. Kurt

The coolest thing about the cable-cutter is hearing the bang! when the rocket is 300' up. Kind of sounds like a gunshot. :bangbang:

I have one and have used it successfully. Like others wrote, keep it clean and make sure to use enough BP. Only failures I've had were by skimping on the BP.

How can you skimp on the BP? The CC only requires a minute amount, something like 0.2 gram, if I remember correctly. The how-to video even shows an absurdly tiny amount of BP in the included centrifuge vial. If you need more than recommended amount, then something else is wrong. For example, if the ematch is not well-sealed, the charge will blow out backwards.

I tried the CC a few times, and I don't care for it. Too much fiddling with wires, tethers, strain relief, and bundles. Traditional, 2-tube DD is easier to prep. My next move will be a JLCR for even more simplicity.

I think I'm around 10 for 10 with it. Though the JLCR is basically replacing it.

I think I'm around 10 for 10 with it. Though the JLCR is basically replacing it.

Although nothing prevents the use of a JLCR with altimeter controlled deployment, the JLCR just feels more oriented toward motor eject rockets. If I'm already going to be putting a SLCF and deployment charge in the nose, why not just utilize the second channel for the cable cutter?

I'm building a rocket right now that intend to order Archetype Cable Cutters for. I've heard mixed reviews about their use. I'm wondering about the general consensus on using it.

Yes I do realize that I could just use motor eject and a JLCR instead. This rocket is not just about simplicity. It's a specific design utilizing new methods that I intend to learn more about.

I'm at less than 20% success, kendall is about 50%, whitney is about 50%, Mario is most of 100%.

On an expensive Rockets, I always use 2 altimeters, so If I have 2 charges for the Apooge it's very simple to put 2 Cable Cutters on the same Zip Tie, it will be a real bad luck if none of them cut the tie. Beside Chute Release with motor ejection is good for low flight, I don't see someone using motor ejection at 5000 feet. 10% margin error can make the rocket dive 500 feet before separation.

Although nothing prevents the use of a JLCR with altimeter controlled deployment, the JLCR just feels more oriented toward motor eject rockets. If I'm already going to be putting a SLCF and deployment charge in the nose, why not just utilize the second channel for the cable cutter?

I used the JLCR on a 14k flight (altimeter main) because the 13k' fall before main would give a long time for something bad to happen to the ematch wires, or have the shock cord wind up the burrito. The only near failure I had with cable cutters was when the cord wound up the burrito.

Last edited:
I got the a/v bay mounted in the nosecone last night. I should be cutting the sled and arranging the bulkhead tonight.

I was thinking of mounting the switch on the bulkhead. There's not a lot of room to try putting it inside on the sled. Thoughts?

I assume securing the cable cutters to the shock cord eyebolt would be acceptable. Or should I secure them to a secondary eyebolt?

My vent holes will be just above the shoulder on the cone. This should keep them from being right on the altimeter. Any advice there? It's my first nosecone bay so I'm still figuring it all out.

Last edited:
I used the JLCR on a 14k flight (altimeter main) because the 13k' fall before main would give a long time for something bad to happen to the ematch wires, or have the shock cord wind up the burrito. The only near failure I had with cable cutters was when the cord wound up the burrito.

that's all things that can be prevent if you do it properly , you put the shock cord true the zip tie and you mount the burrito very , very close to the altimeter bay, as in nearly touching it. The chute attached to the eyebolts of the altimeter bay,, not in the middle of the shock cord betwen the altimeter bay and the booster

pistons are only $ 2.50 , changing them time to time is only a franction of the price of the motors

100% success rate. Use brake cleaner to clean each use. O ring on the bottom 2 o rings on the ematch. I drilled a hole in the screw wall to tie my kevlar better to the cutter. Quick link on other end.

Back