CA and tubular nylon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
Is it ok to use a small amount of CA glue on tubular nylon to hold down loose threads that are hanging out and could get caught and pulled out?

Originally posted by jraice
Is it ok to use a small amount of CA glue on tubular nylon to hold down loose threads that are hanging out and could get caught and pulled out?

Only if it doesn't need to be flexible there.
Could you just singe them down with a Bic lighter or something?

melt it with a lit match, cigarette lighter or other source of flame.

I have used fire to melt tubular nylon before but I dont like how it works, and these shrouds are on an $90 chute so I dont want to have to replace it. Will the CA work?

I can't imagine CA holding anything like that down for long. CA gets very brittle and will break up on something flexible like that. Do you perhaps have access to a more precise way to apply heat like a woodburning kit gun or a soldering iron? I'm wondering if something a little more flexible like a silicone adhesive would work better if you can't do it with heat and you're just trying to hold down loose threads.

CA would be brittle
I would think that burning could weaken it unless you are very careful. Burning too much would make it brittle, making it weaker

Duct Tape it, just use a small strip wrapped all the way around the line. I'm not sure though, duct tape could weaken the tubular nylon , markers do, so the adhesive in the tape might. There are other climbers here that would know if tape weakens TN. Anybody know for sure?

If you are talking about threads around the edges, you can get a glue made for fabrics, probably from Wal-Mart, or any fabrics store. Or, maybe just use a bit of white glue.

Originally posted by jraice
Where are the loose threads? At the ends of the lines or in the middle? At the ends, melting would be best,. You can use a soldering iron for more control. if the loose threads are mid-line, then I'd leave em alone. CA would cause a stiff spot in the line that would severly weaken it.

Another simple trick to prevent unraveling is to use a sewig machine and whip the end of the strap. Essentially you use a zig-zag strip back and forth a couple of times.

Latest posts

Back