C5-3 motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understand Estes is sold out.
As noted in other C5-3 threads....sold out on the web site only means that the little area from which they fulfill mail orders is out, not that there are none to be had in Penrose. They’ve been in and out and back in and again out of stock on the web site the last two days. I will be more than a little surprised if they are not back in stock on the web site on Monday morning.

Are the new C5-3 the exact same as the old ones? I have about a dozen packs of the old motors. I bought them on a close out bak in the day but never used many of them as I liked the C6 motors more.

So, as someone out of the loop(ish), why did they quit making the C5-3?

I’ve never heard a reason for why they quit so I’m curious as well. Typically when something goes away it’s due to lack of demand or some type of defect in the design. My guess is lack of demand as there were other ”C” engine options.

personally I don’t recall a significant difference in the C5 vs C6. if my models weights were questionable for an 18mm I always stepped up to 24mm D motors.

The old C5-3 rocket motors from the late '80's or early '90's had a bad tendency to CATO. The only CATO I've ever experienced was with an estes C5 motor. It completely destroyed the bottom half of my Estes Eggspress rocket. The C5 was the recommended motor.

1591067226257.png

C5-3 was my favorite motor. I still have one left over from the poopy clay era. I am glad they are bringing them back. I never had one Cato, although I had a C6-7 cato once that took out my Astrocam.

C5-3 was my favorite motor. I still have one left over from the poopy clay era. I am glad they are bringing them back. I never had one Cato, although I had a C6-7 cato once that took out my Astrocam.
💩🤣 Poopy clay era? I’ll have to research that one!

Having never flown one, what advantages/uses does the C5-3 have that can't be had by other commonly available C motors? Are they 18mm or 24mm? Is this just a way to use a 24mm C-motor in a 24mm egg lofter for a C-eggloft competition event?

💩🤣 Poopy clay era? I’ll have to research that one!

Interesting. I had never heard of the C5-3 CATO issue. While I've had my fair share of incidents, I've never actually had a CATO or even seen one in person. I still have about a dozen packs hanging downstairs. Been there for years.

Wonder if those are going to produce any entertaining flights.

Having never flown one, what advantages/uses does the C5-3 have that can't be had by other commonly available C motors? Are they 18mm or 24mm? Is this just a way to use a 24mm C-motor in a 24mm egg lofter for a C-eggloft competition event?

The C5-3 has a higher maximum thrust at the beginning of its burn and is good for flying the heavier 18mm rockets. I'm planning to try my Estes Outlander, Mercury-Redstone, and Little Joe 1 on the C5's.

Were there Centuri C5-3's also?
I remember using C5-3's as a kid, but don't remember the brand. And of course the B14's (ooh, aah)... I have a pack of B14-? in the blue diamond tubes... :)

Year code X was prone to violent cato.

Allegedly there was a problem related to the pintle that forms the deep centerbore in the motor when the propellant is pressed.

A crack formed and the motor would blow apart when ignited.

I imagine the new version has a revised centerbore shape to prevent crack formation after “curing”. Curing is when the motors sit for a while to dry out since there is moisture in them.

There are reasons to not press bone dry powder....

I cannot recall if year X was poopy clay but I think they were still around for year A or B because I had a horrible nozzle erosion incident with a C5-3 resulting in an arcing power prang.

Were there Centuri C5-3's also?
I remember using C5-3's as a kid, but don't remember the brand. And of course the B14's (ooh, aah)... I have a pack of B14-? in the blue diamond tubes... :)
Yes, The Super C, C5-0, C5-3, originated at Centuri. They probably created them to get some product differentiation from Estes. Centuri also had 13mm motors like the B4. Estes soon took over Centuri motor production. Estes dropped the 13mm B4, and sold the C5 as an Estes branded motor as well.

One MAJOR advantage: They are much easier to ignite with the larger surface area in the small core making them ideal for clustering. Like this kit for example: https://northcoastrocketry.com/products/cluster-duck
6 x 18mm with a central 24mm motor. This rocket flys straight as an arrow, awesome flight with an AeroTech F32 in the center surrounded by 6 C5-3's or C5-0's (plug 'em for best results unless you want to pepper the field with engine casings)

Like this kit for example: https://northcoastrocketry.com/products/cluster-duck
6 x 18mm with a central 24mm motor. This rocket flys straight as an arrow, awesome flight with an AeroTech F32 in the center surrounded by 6 C5-3's or C5-0's (plug 'em for best results unless you want to pepper the field with engine casings)

Not to get too far off topic The Cluster Duck is a fun build and a great flyer. Never undrstood the reasoning for it being a cluster other than being unique. Built mine to accept the long Estes 24MM E motors and it makes a great park flyer on just an E12. I've put mine up an E12, E30 and F44 a few times. Never done the cluster in it as it doesn't need it.

I cannot recall if year X was poopy clay but I think they were still around for year A or B because I had a horrible nozzle erosion incident with a C5-3 resulting in an arcing power prang.

Don't know for sure about the X year (though other motors I have that do have X as the year look like this). This is a C5-3 dated 6 Y 9 (left) and 5 Z 4 (right)

IMG_2855 2.jpg

Not to get too far off topic The Cluster Duck is a fun build and a great flyer. Never undrstood the reasoning for it being a cluster other than being unique. Built mine to accept the long Estes 24MM E motors and it makes a great park flyer on just an E12. I've put mine up an E12, E30 and F44 a few times. Never done the cluster in it as it doesn't need it.
It is not a matter of "Needs it" it's a matter of it's more fun, and you can get more total impulse for the flight if you don't have any composite motors... And I am one of the KINGS of clustering, note my avatar photo of the Famous Slobovian Avenger... Full J-Power with black powder... Sure that rocket flies well on just an E12, but the cluster gives you tons more smoke!

Back