C powered reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonshiprider

Reaction score
I have been considering an 18 mm Aero reloadable system for some time now.One reason that I may not go with one is the lack of B and C reloads for them.However,I did notice that at one time Aerotech did either actually offer them(C) or was at least considering them.Anyone know anything about them?

Aerotech did have several B and C loads for the RMS 18/20. They were discontinued around 1995

B6T. Cutest Motor!!! I still have 1 or 2 of em. The propellant slug is only about half inch long! ;). Was my first reloadable motor. Flew it in my Estes Firehawk.

C4W - Cool motor. My favorite. Long 2.2 second burning Moon Burner (offset C-Slot).

C6W and C12T, never used them, but I do have a few C6's.

The only problem I had with them is they came with one nozzle for three loads. BIG MISTAKE!!!. It was nearly impossible to clean the nozzle for the WL loads, and it was a big turn off...

I seriously hope that Aerotech brings them back... but include three nozzles with each load... it would make it more user friendly ;).

Thanks for the info n3.I knew it wasn't just my imagination or bad memory playin' tricks. It would be way cool to see Aero do those again.

I hope they do come out with the C's again. Those will be the ideal loads for a lot of competiton events :).

Originally posted by n3tjm
I hope they do come out with the C's again. Those will be the ideal loads for a lot of competiton events :).

I do not recall anyone ever using the RMS-18 B & C reloads for any competition event when they were certified for such use.

These reloads had a poor sales history. I think there was only one or two production runs of these reloads.

As for the 're-use' of the nozzle, to include an additional two nozzles would have raised the retail price above that of the equivelent BP motor package.

I will take credit for the whole B & C line of reload kits. All I said to Gary Rosenfield and Scott Pearce was, "How small a reload can we make for the casing?" Off they went and Scott came back with the B6. An 'A' wasn't possible as the nozzle throat would be too small to fit an igniter through.

I meant it as a joke. I guess they showed me.

of smaller loads would sure make the 18mm case more popular
i'd burn my share.
and his, and hers, and his...
:)

The big reason AT probably dropped them is cost effect.
You can't really make allot of money on those reloads & takes a time to cast & cut the grains. How much would you pay to bring them back?? $20.00 for 3, $40.00 for 2??

JD

I stumbled on several packs in an old hobby store
and managed to buy them for very little due to the age and he was happy to get rid of them

I found several B6t, D13w and D24t...I have only used the D24's so far... I'm not sure about trying the B6-2's should be interesting tho

D13's and D24's are still produced. It would not be to hard to bring back the B6, C6, and C12 loads... just take a standard slotted grain and cut it in shorted pieces (that is assuming you slot the grains before you cut them). The C4 would require some retooling, but I think that would be worth it to also make D8 loads. That is a definate must in my opinion... I have shreaded to many Estes (and Fliskits) rockets with the D13... I would have several packs of those in my range box if they were ever produced.... I love the 24mm D9, use them all the time... but its 24mm....

As for the nozzle... how much does the 18mm nozzle cost on the RCS price sheet? .75 each? Actually, it is not bad if they have the same price as the bp counterpart.... I will still use them. I am not sure, but I think even a C load in the RMS 18/20 case is still lighter then the a BP C Motor... and you get a full C out of it. Not like the 7.5 or so n/s you get out of an Estes C...

I see no reason to make B6,C6 as these are offered in BP.

I would most definately but C4, C10, D8, and B14 reloads if they would produce them.

Phred

B6 was "just for fun" motor. However, there is a very good reason WHY you want a C6 composite... it is neary 150% more power then a C6 (Compairing a C6-7 BP to a C6-7 WL). The C6-7 has a total impulse around 7.5 - 8 n/s, while the composite C gives you the full 10. That does make a BIG difference in a rocket that size.

For example, Aerotech Mustang on a D21 versus an E25. D21 TI was 20, the E25 was 23. The Mustang gained approx 40-50 ft on the 3 extra n/s'

I did not know that! :eek:

Thanks!!

OK, now I want a C6... put it on my official list!! :D

Ph

Back