C,D, or E cluster rocket that can be flown on 1 or 2 or 3 motors ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyman

Reaction score
Is there any C, D, or E cluster rocket kit that is available that can be flown on 1 or 2 or 3 motors ?

I know you would love a Semroc Hydra 7 7X18mm motors! Or 4X18mm or 1X18mm endless configurations,Sunward also has really cool ones

The Semroc Goliath is a nice kit. So is the Defender. On the bench right now I have a partially completed clone of the venerable Astron Cobra. That model and the Astron Ranger are easy designs to clone.

The Semroc Hydra 7 is a truly gorgeous design, but it might be a bit daunting to build if it will be your first cluster rocket.

Mark K.

Last edited:
There is also the flis kits richter recker. I have one, and the only bad flight I've had with it was when only one motor in the 3 "D" cluster.

Last edited:
Oh wow I almost forgot the best starter for clustering HAS TO BE the sunward sky bender, straightfoward build and is only $20
but is you have the extra money the Delta IV is a gourgous design,it's $130 but I think I'll pick one up soon

If you are looking for a three motor cluster and want to fly it on 1 or 2 or 3 motors, you will probably have to stick with an inline cluster instead of the typical 3 in a circle configuration.

If you use one or two motors in the circle type, you get off center thrust. BAD!! With the inline, you can use a single motor in the center hole, 2 motors in the outer holes, or fill all three.

Just remember, if you don't fill all the holes with motors, you have to plug them to prevent the ejection charge from escaping out the motor tubes.

I would recommend scratch building one. Then you'll get exactly what you want.

I'm thoroughly disappointed in you guys :mad:

I can't believe nobody brought the the Fliskits Deuces Wild or the Fliskits Tres.

unbelievable :p

I'm thoroughly disappointed in you guys :mad:

I can't believe nobody brought the the Fliskits Deuces Wild or the Fliskits Tres.

unbelievable :p
The DW has only two motor mounts, so it would be hard for him to launch it on a three-motor cluster. I thought about mentioning the Très but didn't because I thought that it might be a bit overwhelming to built as a first or second cluster rocket.

And Handeman is right; wbyman asked about a cluster rocket that could be launched on either 1, 2 or 3 motors. Neither the DW, the Très or most of the other models that were mentioned (including mine) would fit that bill. Although, as I said, it would be quite a project to build, the Semroc Hydra 7 could probably be flown in all three of those configurations (plus a few more). So score one for junior.

Mark K.

And Handeman is right; wbyman asked about a cluster rocket that could be launched on either 1, 2 or 3 motors. Neither the DW, the Très or most of the other models that were mentioned (including mine) would fit that bill. And although, as I said, it would be quite a project to build, the Semroc Hydra 7 could probably be flown in all three of those configurations, too (plus a few more). So score one for junior.

Mark K.

Is that me? :y::D:confused::wave::w:

The DW has only two motor mounts, so it would be hard for him to launch it on a three-motor cluster. I thought about mentioning the Très but didn't because I thought that it might be a bit overwhelming to built as a first or second cluster rocket.

And Handeman is right; wbyman asked about a cluster rocket that could be launched on either 1, 2 or 3 motors. Neither the DW, the Très or most of the other models that were mentioned (including mine) would fit that bill. Although, as I said, it would be quite a project to build, the Semroc Hydra 7 could probably be flown in all three of those configurations (plus a few more). So score one for junior.

Mark K.
Well..... the canted mounts are supposed to help the rocket fly stably shoud 1 or 2 of the motors should happen to "accidentally" not ignite
:D

Mark K.

Oh I see, he was looking for one that could fly on any of those numbers, not simply a clustered rocket.

Whoops. My bad!

Is there any C, D, or E cluster rocket kit that is available that can be flown on 1 or 2 or 3 motors ?

I'll give you another suggestion: Lots of old and some newer kits just beg to be clustered.

Estes SR-71, Deep Space Transport, Geo-Sat HLV, Nasa Pegasus, GreyHawk and others all make interesting and great flying single motor and 3 motor cluster conversions.

063-b1b2sm_Deep Space Transport Cluster Lift-0ff_07-06-91.jpg

If you are handy, look up the Astron Ranger on Jimz or Ye olde rocket plans.

The Ranger is a cluster rocket that later morphed into the Big Bertha (87% sure that statement is reasonably correct)

So get a Bertha and bash it!

OR... The New "SUPER ALPHA". Estes Alpha scaled up to BT-60 body tube. Looks like it would make a really nice cluster rocket.

Back