Buying in the US shipping to the UK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokkyokusei

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an internationally aware, online vendor in the US for the purchase of Estes model rockets for shipping to the UK?

Credit card (if via secure web site - or I'll phone the details through if they do skype) or PayPal, hassle-free shipping etc...

I'm mainly asking for the experience of my fellow UK fliers, but any relevant experience is welcome.

I'm usually loyal to the various UK vendors, but right now I'm skint and the exchange rate is too favourable to ignore.

There are times when you can get lucky and avoid the various charges levied by our friends in big hats at HM Customs...but if they do catch your goodies on their way through, chances are that you'll end up paying more than you would have paid a UK vendor.

We've had a lot of customers over the years who have complained about UK prices, and after explaining the situation to them, we've given the suppliers the okay to sell direct (we have exclusive arrangements with many of our HPR suppliers) In many cases, we've had an email a few weeks later saying that "I got ripped off by customs" etc etc...and they'd ended up waiting longer and paying more.

I guess I should also bring up the case for "use it or lose it"...if everyone starts buying abroad, then there won't be any UK vendors to turn to for that urgent order, or to turn up at your launch event with a shed full of goodies. The UK vendors put in a hell of a lot of effort on your behalf, a great deal of which is unpaid. When I was running Deepsky, my wife and I were often busy until gone midnight looking after our customers, packing orders, placing orders, chasing new products etc, and if any of us costed out the hours we'd put in, and made a sensible decision, we'd probably all shut up shop tomorrow! Paul works all hours too...I often get emails from him which have been sent at 4am or after midnight...and he has enough qualifications to be earning a hell of a lot more for his hours than he is doing selling rockets!

Yeah I know I'm biased...but I've been in the hot seat so I know how it is;)

Look after your UK vendor and they will look after you!

All the best,

Andy@Deepsky

Gaah. I knew I'd get caught!

I'm with you 100% on supporting local vendors Andy, you know that, but I am _very_ skint, and I didn't get paid this month, and xmas looms, and the exchange rate...

I just did a quick comparison and i was suprised.I found the fliskit TRES for $21.95 +$20 dollars P+P ..same at deepsky £16 +£4.50 P+P now that works out pretty much the same once you factor in the extra 2.5%(or so) for credit card/paypal currency conversion rate.

I don't know where you were placing that order in the US, but would you care to do the same for an Estes Outlander & Estes Baby Bertha?

Originally posted by deepsky

Look after your UK vendor and they will look after you!

Loyalty applies to everyone, I spent a lot of dollars (at a much worse exchange rate) with US dealers when there was no supply of models and parts in the UK. I try to share my custom with the various UK dealers and with the vendors in America (who have always given me excellent service).

I would be more sympathetic if the UK dealers could sort out the various motor problems such as HELA exemption for CTi motors and CE marking for Aerotech.

Hi Brian,

The whole HPR motor thing is a real can of worms as I'm sure you are aware! Suffice it to say that the whole process could have been completed a long time ago if it hadn't basically been stalled by a particular person. I'm not going to start name calling or anything like that on here, but I'm sure Paul will furnish any interested parties with the facts.

As an aside, and just for your information we've not had a single word out of Scale Kits since I contacted them with a view to stocking their stuff for the UK and European markets some time ago. Obviously, all of us at Deepsky have customer service as our primary objective, and we need to be able to rely on our suppliers for fast turnaround and response to enquiries etc if we are to provide that service to our customers. I will try contacting the company again, as they have some interesting stuff on their books. Does anyone know who the people behind the company are by the way? Cancel that...I just did a whois search...I just had a horrible feeling that some of the kit pictures looked rather familiar and that the head honcho may have been someone we had some bad dealings with in the past!! It isn't though...and people have also received their orders, which would not have been so likely with the guy I had in mind!!

Andy@Deepsky

if you need a baby Bertha why dont you come to apo11o
you can clone one for the cost on inporting one in from the us (ie0 bt 60 1.95 (17in long) apn 60 ms 2.80 fins 0.40p acr2060 x2
50p aet 20 25p aeh 02 25p total 6.15 +3.50 p+p =9.65 any good to you most of apo11o price have remaind the same for the last few years i work hard to keep the cost as low as i can and like andy says there is a lot of nu paid hours that do not get passed on

All I'm trying to do is save myself a quid or two at xmas, when I'm particularly skint, and I feel as though I'm stealing the food from people's mouths.

I probably spend hundreds of pounds a year with UK vendors, and believe me I do appreciate their existance. I pay promptly don't have favourites and spread my money around. I also endure the inevitable out of stock situations (currently been enduring one for _several_ months now - no names) and shipping delays with good grace.

As for unpaid work, it's more than likely in the interest of UK rocketry vendors to help develop the UK rocketry community. Tell me about it. I've probably done more unpaid work in support of the UK rocketry community than most over the years.

Bah humbug!

To all the UK rocketeers out there

We are willing to ship to the UK any products on our website. The only problem as you all are well aware is the cost of shipping its running around 20.00 US to send a package that would cost like 4.00 US here. I will however repeat my overseas shipping policy here. you let me know what you want and I will send you a qoute for the total including shipping, if you dont agree with the total price you dont have to buy. I am very understanding of the high shipping costs to UK and Europe.I will harbor no ill will to someone who wishs a qoute and doesnt buy. We ship all overseas items via USPS Global Express Mail. Its a little more expensive than Air Parcel Post, however it provides tracking which protects both you and us. Rates start at $15.50 USD. Please note all funds must be in US dollars.

Originally posted by deepsky
Hi Brian,
The whole HPR motor thing is a real can of worms as I'm sure you are aware!
Andy@Deepsky

Sorry Andy - but I just can't take you seriously any more.
You were a Prince amongst rocketmen ... and you gave it all up......

To race lawnmowers

What more can I say

:D :D :D

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
All I'm trying to do is save myself a quid or two at xmas, when I'm particularly skint, and I feel as though I'm stealing the food from people's mouths.

As a self-confessed tube collector you have a long history of depriving honest rocketry vendors of the wherewithall to feed their starving children ...

you have no shame :rolleyes:

Originally posted by North Star
Sorry Andy - but I just can't take you seriously any more.
You were a Prince amongst rocketmen ... and you gave it all up......

To race lawnmowers

What more can I say

:D :D :D
Lawnmowers?

LOL thats like saying schumacher races reliant robins
those things are speed demons:D

Originally posted by North Star
As a self-confessed tube collector you have a long history of depriving honest rocketry vendors of the wherewithall to feed their starving children ...

you have no shame :rolleyes:

Of course the additional weight of my rockets due to them being constructed form admitedly shoddy, heavy materials, means they need bigger motors to be flown safely. And where do we think I _buy_ those bigger motors from boys and girls? ;)

P.S. and when it comes to a "who has the most 'starving' children" contest - I'm pretty sure I'm in with a shout at a podium position there too. :rolleyes:

Hehe...my sensors detected my name and most expensive current pastime being taken in vain!!

Brian's sig mentioned

beauty,grace and the drowsy charm of a summer afternoon

and this I must admit was one of the greatest attractions of lawnmower racing, a thoroughly English invention if ever there was one!

The picture of me and my mower below will illustrate this gentle summer charm perfectly I feel!

2926.jpg

All the best!

Andy

Well !
I mean .. that picture just oozes beauty,grace and drowsy charm ... dunnit

Anyway - they say a picture paints a thousand words, so no further comments are needed other than to remark that a fast moving lawnmower may just be sufficient to escape the men in the white coats.

:confused:

Back