Buyer's remorse... Like your input on something unrelated to rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Besides being a BAR, there was a long time I was very much into bicycling. Truth be told, I still am, but... Moving away from my apartment in Beaverton Oregon (only 1 block from major public transportation hub, and two blocks to Tammie's Hobbies) really cut into my bicycling time. I now live 25 miles from school (was only 6 miles away in Beaverton). Worse still, between me and school is a couple of nasty climbs/descents, and the location of my last injury crash with a car (I was right hooked while I was riding in a bike lane that time). Suffice it to say, I'm not riding 52 miles/day (minimum).

So, I rediscovered rocketry.

I still however keep an eye on the bike scene and visit the founder and editor of Bikeportland.org on occasion. While visiting him, I came across a new gizmo that he had bought or received as a product test, and he was pretty impressed with it. Having just finished playing dodge pedestrian (I'm halfway through an intersection with a green light in my favor, when some moron looks straight through me (and the 1300 lumens of flashing lights I was using), and steps off the curb, and right into my path, oblivious to the >425lbs of bike, books, and body approaching him at 15mph. I managed to miss him... then had a repeat performance with a fool who looked like he was intentionally trying to get hit only two blocks away from the first), I'm a little miffed at them trying to wreck me and my bike. Gizmo is a light and horn that is very loud (96DB), USB rechargeable, and would fit on my crowded handlebar... maybe.

I order one online, but the company is based out of PDX, so I pick it up there. I got the gizmo, and a remote switch to allow me to keep my hands more firmly on the brakes while operating it, and was given a 2nd one free (no extra switch). Damn! It doesn't fit on the handlebar, but it does fit on the stem of the bike. So, I install it with the person who designed and made it watching and everything is good... Right? I peddle back to school, lean by bike against the bike rack, and the plug snaps off, leaving the male end firmly seated in the jack. I call the guy up, and he agrees to send me (free) a 2nd switch, but I'd like to get the remains of the damaged plug out of the original gizmo. He doesn't want to take the damaged one back, and fix it.

I proposed a solution to the problem. The plug sticks straight out of the device, is thin, and long. It is inviting a problem. My solution, use a thicker (stronger) plug, AND angle it at 90 degrees, so once it exits the jack, it will present a smaller "target" for damage, and the body of the unit can reinforce it through whatever is threatening to snap it off. This would be a nonstandard jack shape (more of a flattened S shape instead of an "-" shape or an squarish "7" shape). They are not interested in my solution.

I'm waiting for the replacement switch to arrive, but I KNOW that it is vulnerable to damage, I KNOW that it is difficult (if not impossible to fix). I'm afraid I'll break this in no time, and then where am I?

I'm thinking that I should just return both, along with the new switch before something happens to it. I don't want to blast them on forums, I think they're on to something, but it IMHO needs further refining, or else they're going to be getting a lot of these back damaged.

What do all you think? What would you do?

Thanks!
Jim

I've written this to the owner...

Hi ********
I need to let you know that I'm more than a little concerned about my *********. I didn't even get to use it a full day before it was broken. That remote switch is what makes it possible for me to use the *********, but if it snaps off, and can't be fixed, it's not going to work for me. I'd like to return both of them to you, along with the remains of the damaged switch, the replacement switch, and be refunded my purchase price.

I think you're on to something here, and I want you to succeed with it, but I'm very worried about that plug. I'm worried that this could be just the tip of the iceberg. Not many would be able to have the owner of the company witness their first installation of the ********, and then not long after have that remote switch made useless by an unforeseen action. This wouldn't help you at all.

I'm still interested in the product, but I feel that my suggestions on reinforcing the plug will need to be made before I could feel confident enough to use it.

I'm sorry that this happened, and hope that some good can come from it.

All the Best!
Jim

Now... Should I hit "send"?

Last edited:
^ Yes. The problem exists with the mold they have already paid for and are committed to for ROI. I presently have a Garmin GPS unit in the Mobile Hangar Unit #3 that has a cigarette lighter power adapter that prevents me from using the coffee cup holder-so same scenario. I plan to kludge it when I find a suitable plug I can use or splice off for another outlet without splicing the unit's cable. It's used all the time so the option of unplugging it is always there, but not user friendly. Obviously you've identified a fail point they did not consider when mounted the way they had not envisioned. Fail on the clamp diameter is also a product fault. If it doesn't work for you in your situation, it's not your fault.

Jim

Being an avid cyclist, I am intrigued by both the product and the problem, Could you share some more details privately? I have also played dodge the pedestrian on rail trails (my favorite are idiots on skates wearing headphones at the bottom of a hill that I like to crush on the way down).

Al

I can't pretend to fully understand, but my understanding is that the intent of the design is to allow you to keep hands on the brake/handlebars while also being able to activate the horn/gizmo? If so, that is a great idea...but if you have to take your hands off to activate it, then, it isn't any better than any other horn/device, so why should I buy it?

And if the design makes it possible, but breaks easily, then again, people are going to write crap reviews of it online, so the guy should revise the design. I look at it like you are a beta tester, and giving him feedback he *should* use, or if not, then ignore at his own peril.

I used to bike avidly...stopped, as everybody I see driving has their cell phone out and is talking or texting. But, when I did bike, I avidly *avoided* pedestrians, but still kept a loud bell I could activate with my hands on the handlebars. People aren't aware of how poor bike brakes are...I'm much better keeping some speed and using that to maneuver around people/obstacles. Anything that requires me to take my hands off the handlebars ultimately a) makes it more dangerous for me (by restricting my ability to steer or brake) and thus b) make it more dangerous for everybody else.

The design is intended to be thumb activated, but sometimes the shape of the handlebar, or (such as in my case) too much other stuff prevents it from being mounted close to the grips to allow thumb activation w/o releasing the grips. The remote was intended to address that issue.

Last edited:
I'd say send the email. Or just call them up or go to the address and explain why it doesn't work for you. Basically the intended design does not work with your handlebar setup, and the alternative setup invalidates the thumb-activated design AND is prone to breakage. Focus on your refund and forget about the redesign tips.

Another alternative for hands-free warning of pedestrians is a loud SHOUT!

The design is intended to be thumb activated, but sometimes the shape of the handlebar, or (such as in my case) too much other stuff prevents it from being mounted close to the grips to allow thumb activation w/o releasing the grips. The remote was intended to address that issue.

I see...yes, my bell (a nice loud one) can easily be activated by my thumb, and is small enough to fit on my handlebars, in-between everything else, as you describe.

A remote is a great idea...and it sounds like this guy is 90%+ of the way there...but from what you have described, the problem is this teeny-tiny Fatal Flaw that is really not a teeny-tiny problem.

I'd say send the email. Or just call them up or go to the address and explain why it doesn't work for you. Basically the intended design does not work with your handlebar setup, and the alternative setup invalidates the thumb-activated design AND is prone to breakage. Focus on your refund and forget about the redesign tips.

re: send the email, yes, I agree, you summarize it quite well.

re: shouting, you'd think it would work--but it doesn't. I have the same problem on the ski slopes as on the roads/trails--when I shout "On your LEFT!" to pass somebody on their left, they 90%+ jump TO THE LEFT, for reasons I can't fathom.

I sent the email, and already received a reply.

He's sending me some SASE, and will refund me upon return.

Thanks guys!
Jim

This was designed with two sounds. A friendly (but loud) pedestrian alert, and a LOUD annoying Motorist alert, and a flashing light to help drive both points home. There are times that shouting isn't an option (huffing and puffing, etc).

My incrediBELL doesn't do jack when it comes to motorists, and it doesn't have the warning/headlight feature.

Jim:
I'd curtainly send them an e-mail detailing the problem (maybe with a photo or two), but I'm not sure I'd return the unit(s). Sounds like you could convert the Plug to an right angle plug without to much trouble if you can find a 90deg. plug that fits your particular unit.

I've done just that on several electroic items that were equipped with straight adaptor/activator plugs. You might want to get the spec's for the switch adaptor from the unit manufacture or specification sheet and look for a 90deg matching size plug at www.alliedelec.com or on of the other on-line electronic stores. MCM might have what you're looking for also www.mcmelectornics.com

I know how problematic such "Little oversights" by manufactures can be. Sometimes if the product is worthy a little jerryrigging is worth it:)

I guess, for starters, it depends somewhat on how much money you've spent on this device. I'm also a avid cyclist as a well as a design engineer. If it were me, I'd want to let the involved partied know what the design issues are and what they might consider for improvement. I like the idea of a remote switched gizmo, especially if it lets sound a warning while in the drops with my hands near the levers. On my ride commute now, there's a downhill, sweeping left through an underpass that's pretty much blind. The fisheye mirrors that are in place don't help much, so I always sound my bell loudly while entering, which involves moving one hand away from the brake lever. So, the principle of the product is sound, it just needs refinement, as you say. I wouldn't hesitate to contact them with thoughtfully-worded criticism that avoids negativity. They may be willing to upgrade you when a modified design becomes available. But if the gizmo is as likely to break as you say, it might be better to just wash your hands of it. But I'd give the manufacturer a chance to make it right first.

Rick
Rocketry enthusiast, Surly nut

Jim:
I'd curtainly send them an e-mail detailing the problem (maybe with a photo or two), but I'm not sure I'd return the unit(s). Sounds like you could convert the Plug to an right angle plug without to much trouble if you can find a 90deg. plug that fits your particular unit.

I've done just that on several electroic items that were equipped with straight adaptor/activator plugs. You might want to get the spec's for the switch adaptor from the unit manufacture or specification sheet and look for a 90deg matching size plug at www.alliedelec.com or on of the other on-line electronic stores. MCM might have what you're looking for also www.mcmelectornics.com

I know how problematic such "Little oversights" by manufactures can be. Sometimes if the product is worthy a little jerryrigging is worth it:)

I've already sent the email. I'd be inclined to pick up a new one once they make the changes I recommend, however, the one unit still has the broken plug stuck inside the unit, and I haven't been able to extract it. I'm afraid that doing more than what I've tried already will break the unit completely, and then I'm really up a creek. They need to figure this one out because if they don't they're going to find out about it soon, and it may cost them some business.

Last edited:
Back