Buyer Beware...EBAY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Don't make the same mistake i made. I have been looking for some clips and low and behold I find them here...
EBAY

What a great deal so I bid...then a little voice in the back of my head said, "now john...what did you say the shipping was on that.." POW! right in the suck! 25.00 to ship 12 packs of clips. I have an e-mail into him right now but for those of you who use EBAY read all of the print! I know I will next time.

I hate that! Just a sleazy way to put a reserve on something if you ask me!!:mad:

John, John, John, Johm...tsc tsc tsc!

Read the fine print first!

I thought you were smarter than that.

Shipping amount is the second think I check before bidding.

Make you a real deal on some multi colored electrical tape!

Yoo many Ebayers seem to fall back on the shipping to make a profit.

One guy insisted that he has to charge $10 shipping because the lines were so long at his local post office.

sandman

Originally posted by flying_silverad
25.00 to ship 12 packs of clips.

I would just tell the guy that you assumed it was a typo, that he really meant 2.50, because NOBODY needs to spend $25 to mail something that small.

I don't think *anyone* is reading this auction correctly....

It's for a LOT of 12-packs of alligator clips....

288 packages!

"LOT (288pcs) 12-PACK ALLIGATOR CLIPS NO RESV"

One last thing....

This guy has a horrific feedback rating.

133 negatives and 164 neutrals, vs. 4292 positives.

That's over 6% negative/neutral feedback!

Oh, one other thing about eBay - NEVER bid on something without explicit shipping charges stated in the auction.

I learned my lesson the ONE time I ever bid on an auction where the shipping cost wasn't explicitly shown. It was for a 1/72 space shuttle (the Monogram full stack). Now, this is a big kit, but this guy wanted $40 to ship! Absolute B.S. I convinced him to ship it for "only" $20, using parcel post.

Originally posted by vjp
I don't think *anyone* is reading this auction correctly....

It's for a LOT of 12-packs of alligator clips....

288 packages!

"LOT (288pcs) 12-PACK ALLIGATOR CLIPS NO RESV"

I think he means 288 pieces in 24 12-packs....... still a rip-off.:confused:

You lucked out and didn't end up doing too bad. You got all the clips for under 10 cent apiece. About $1.09 per pack. Much cheaper than I think you you could have got them elsewhere.

What you gonna do with 288 aligator clips? You gotta build a 144 engine cluster.

Bob Krech

Originally posted by bobkrech
What you gonna do with 288 aligator clips? You gotta build a 144 engine cluster.
flying_silverad(o) is a vendor who sells clip-whips, and with the recent release of the Trez, hes going to need alot of clips!

:)

Originally posted by cydermaster
flying_silverad(o) is a vendor who sells clip-whips, and with the recent release of the Trez, hes going to need alot of clips!

:)

HMMM "Tres Whip"? Sounds kinky!! LOL

Sandman- I know...I never do that...and the first time I do look what happens. As someone said earlier, I didn't take it to bad. I might part out the packs (I really only need one size) and will probably recover most of the money.

Another lesson learned. As my wife says. "Life's about learning"!

A late post here, but I have noticed that it is getting steadily harder to find good deals on eBay. Mind you, I have bought a lot of car stereo stuff and camera equipment at great prices, but for small things it is easier and cheaper to buy locally.

For example, got a new cell phone on 12/30, a fairly new LG VX6000 camera phone from Verizon. I passed on the leather case accessory because I figured "Why should I buy here when I can get it on eBay for $5.00?". Turns out that a similar item on eBay is $24.95 plus $5 shipping, so I bought it from Verizon for $19.95 plus tax :rolleyes:

Gotta watch yourselves on eBay, I think people almost like the act of bidding more than actually getting a good deal!!! lol

- Jason

Agreed. What you really have to watch out for is the Shipping and Handling charges that some of these people have. For instance, I saw a Mean Machine at a local store for $24.99. I thought I could find it cheaper on Ebay. Turns out it is cheaper, but once you add in the S&H charges, it's just as cheap to get it at the store.

I only buy stuff online when I absolutely have to. i.e. ebay. If I can't find it in town then online is my other option. Granted if you get something local it might be $10-20 more, but I look at it as the convience factor. I sorry but I'm a really big fan of instant gradification. Waiting 3-5 business days is sometimes too long for me.
One comment about ebay: I also check shipping after initial price. Look at the description: Could you visualize the product with out a pic. Pics help out though. And always check feedback.
If the item carries all this criteria that means that there probably a serious selling and you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for reading my Deuce ('s Wild!) cents. lol.

"HMMM "Tres Whip"? Sounds kinky!! LOL"

Actually, I always thought that a clipwhip used for a Fliskit was a FLISWHIP! :D :D :D

Well, I paid for the auction on the 20th and sent an email stating that I would not retract on the auction but wondered if he could come down on the shipping. He said that I was getting a great deal on the product and that he would not reduce the cost at all. Well, here it is the 6th of January and no product.
I have sent 2 emails asking for a shipment number and finally today I get an email stating that he and his wife were on vacation so that my package will be late but that it was shipped yesterday by FedEx ground. So, knowing FedEx ground and my experience with it, I'm looking at maybe friday or monday which puts the days from start to finish about 18 days total. With the shipping charge as high as it was, I hope this serves as a lesson to ANYONE not to use this guy!!!:kill:

Back