Buy locally

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I'm having trouble finding a place to buy F size rocket motors non-econojet, aerotech 50 or something comparable in the Seattle tacoma area. Trying to avoid the $30 dollar HAZMAT fee? Thanks in advance for for any help.

Hi Shane, Welcome to the Forum!

This is the same problem that lots of people encounter. I want just a couple of "F" or "G" motors, and Hobbytown USA doesn't carry anything bigger than an Estes "D" or "E". You can order online, but that Hazmat fee takes a big bite out of the rocketry budget.

This is where a Rocketry Club comes into play. You may need to drive - and it might not be real close. Some folks drive 2 or 3 hours to get to a Rocket Club launch.

At a club launch you will find a lot of friendly people launching all kinds of rockets, many with "larger" motors. It's a great opportunity to make new friends, ask questions, get ideas, take pictures, etc.

- AND -

Most big launches have an On-Site VENDOR - selling rocket motors and other rocketry stuff. Bring some money and a camera, leave with lots of new ideas and those "F" motors you've been wanting to try.

I'm sure you get some additional answers from members of the Washington Aerospace Rocketry Club https://www.washingtonaerospace.org/

SunRiver Nature Center and Bay Area Rocketry are two of the vendors I can think of - that you might see at a local launch.

You may look into reloads. For the cost of the haz-mat fee, you can usually procure a used 29/40-120 case and the reloads for that case are all (or almost all?) non-hazmat.

EDIT: The F loads and the G138 are hazmat. All others are non-hazmat. I believe AT is looking at making the F loads non-hazmat too. But a large E or small G may meet your requirements.

Last edited:
one thing to consider, the haz-Mat fee applied per package shipped, it doesn't matter if there is only one motor or six you'll incur one fee. a $30 fee spread out across 6 motors isn't quite as bad... like a number of folks I try to do my motor shopping from the on-site vendor (thanks Tim).
Rex

Back