Butane rocket world record 25 meters (80 ft)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who prefer not to visit the link, a soda bottle had butane added to it, after which it flew up in the air. Hard to see exactly what's going on. Oh well.

The bike pump water bottle seems a lot cheaper per flight, with the bonus of not getting sticky.

I'm curious;if you did a mix of nitrous oxide and butane fed to a combustion chamber and nozzle would probably do much better. :)
I'm still wanting to make a co2 bomb out of one of the special bottles for the sparkling water generators. :) Thankfully, I've learned to not actually carry out those thought experiments; our state made co2bombs illegal specifically because they sound like an m-80.

I'm curious;if you did a mix of nitrous oxide and butane fed to a combustion chamber and nozzle would probably do much better.

There might be "auto-ignition" issues or toxic substances / gases being formed . . . Hopefully, Terry, or someone else with the necessary Chemistry background can answer this ?

Dave F.

I actually have a commercial rocket that works kinda like that, you put the cardboard and foam rocket on the tube launcher, spray a spritz of some kind of combustible liquid (I think they use air freshener) in the "combustion chamber", and press the button which sparks it. It's called a "Reaction Rocket"... rocketreaction.com . Supposedly it's legal to use in CA because it skirts around the model rocket regulations.

A popular thing here is a potato cannon; you take a length of pvc pipe, stuff a potato in one end, spray a shot of propellant in the chamber at the other end, and light.
It'll shoot a potato 100 yards, easy.

A popular thing here is a potato cannon; you take a length of pvc pipe, stuff a potato in one end, spray a shot of propellant in the chamber at the other end, and light.
It'll shoot a potato 100 yards, easy.
We used a tennis ball. Not as messy, re usable and the bright green is easier to see. Until that one perfect launch that blasts the ball ballistic, never to be seen again.

We were in on the tennis ball cannons; all was good until we loaded the tennis balls with gas, lol. The adults got pretty concerned at that point. :)

I've heard some green husk-on corn cobs fit perfectly in "potato" cannons; but this farm kid wouldn't know....

For tennis ball cannons, we used tin cans, duct tape and Zippo lighter fluid. Being more of a fan of the noise and flame, I didn't bother with the tennis ball.

Back