Bunny Bought a Porsche Boxster!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
Folks,

Thanks to all who provided automotive advice last fall.

On Friday, I purchased a used 2003 Porsche Boxster with about 18,900 miles on it. Saturday, I had it inspected by a local garage specializing in Porsche repair and maintenance. It's owned by a guy who's worked on Porsches for 40+ years, who pronounced, after inspection, "you've got a very nice Boxster there" (insert huge SIGH OF RELIEF here. . . .).

I've owned nothing but mini-vans and Hondas in the past (junkers when I was really younger and poorer), and I have a lot to learn about this automobile. It has unimaginable performance in all respects (acceleration, top end, handing, braking, etc.) that I need to understand better before I could possibly offer a true perspective on it.

But one thing is completely clear to me, having put 80 miles on it.

IT IS AN ABSOLUTELY COMPLETE BLAST TO DRIVE!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2003 Boxster - Bunny's Baby.jpg

but the real question, how many rocket PSI is it? (rocket per square inch) :roll:

Ben

Sweet looking ride! Are you going to bring this beauty to NARAM-52? I know we'd all love to see our illustrious former president driving a sweet car, right guys?

What are the specs? (Impulse, average thrust, you know the drill :rolleyes: :roll:)

Sweet looking ride! Are you going to bring this beauty to NARAM-52? I know we'd all love to see our illustrious former president driving a sweet car, right guys?

Probably not making a NARAM trip this year. Got a graduation and wedding on the calendar, and will be out of time. :( But I do intend to take it to the Great Lakes Cup FAI event at the end of June.

What are the specs? (Impulse, average thrust, you know the drill :rolleyes: :roll:)

Horsepower: 225 HP
Torque: 192 ft.-lbs
Top speed : 157 mph (haven't tried getting even close to this)
0-60 mph : 6.2 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.6 sec @ 94.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 115 ft :)y:)
Curb Weight : 2811 lbs

Full "impulse specs" here:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/porsche/boxster/specifications/index.html

and

https://www.modernracer.com/porscheboxster.html

Did I mention that it's fun to drive??? :D

Nice car, and low milage given its age - my car is the same age with 80,000 on the clock.

Saweeettt!

Please tell me that you also bought a great quality radar gun detector along with it? I mean, you do have the right to know if you're being monitored. ;)

Yes, a big determining factor in my auto purchases--good thing my wife likes to drive big trucks!

BTW, nice choice on the Boxster.

but the real question, how many rocket PSI is it? (rocket per square inch) :roll:

Ben

Coming from a Porsche family (no, I don't have one, but my Dad has a '72 911 and my brother has a '78 911 and a '97 Carrera 4S), the most important thing is to either be extremely mechanically inclined, reasonably wealthy, or be really good friends with a factory trained mechanic. The new ones certainly don't need as much care and attention, but keep up the regular maintenance or your bill will astound you. Porsche factory mechanics do not charge the same hourly rate as your local guy. When my brother had to replace a single gear set in his '78, the parts cost alone would have paid for a complete full race (good to 500hp) tranny for my car.:eek:

Take care of it. They are nice when kept happy!:)

:2:Ken

Nice car. I used to work on my buddies 928. I'd tell him 2 days to fix it and 2 more days to get it back from me. Had it in a four wheel slide around a curve one day. Coooool. Porsche's are very balanced cars (front to rear weight ratio) and can handle great in many situations.

Take care of it. They are nice when kept happy!:)

Certainly intend to do THAT! I'll be tracking the expenses to see how it goes for the first year. It'll get new tires and front brake pads tomorrow, along with an oil change.

(Aside: Met a guy at the shop that had one of his for 34 years!!!)

Still no place to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood!

I still say some cars were designed to haul just one thing, butt!

If I tie it to the roof 190mph is out of the question!

Tie it? I think there's one universal correct answer to that kind of situation.

duct-tape-1.jpg

Bunny

Had to check to see if my friend's wife still had her 2003 Boxster cause I thought she was the only one who could put less than 3,000 miles a year on one, but you have the second one. (Her husband has almost 100K on his 2002 Boxster S.)

You have found a gem of a car, and you seem to have found a great independent mechanic instead of a pricey dealership.

Enjoy.

Bob

I've owned nothing but mini-vans and Hondas in the past (junkers when I was really younger and poorer), and I have a lot to learn about this automobile. It has unimaginable performance in all respects (acceleration, top end, handing, braking, etc.) that I need to understand better before I could possibly offer a true perspective on it.

Congratulations!!! I would recommend that you check out a Porsche or BMW club in your area to see if they have a driving school. I did the BMW program and I would highly recommend it to anyone who drives a performance sports car. The first time you attend you will be taught several car control techniques and you will quickly find the limits of yourself and your car. You will become a better driver.

Not when your roof's made of cloth. . .

At least you don't have to worry about scratching the paint.

(Aside: Where the heck do you find pictures like THAT one???)

It's an internet classic from 2000. Do a Google search for "overloaded car Home Depot" and see how many hits you get. You can also just hang out at Home Depot on a Saturday and wait. There's one near me and there's always a trail of dumped gallons of paint and broken sheetrock and plywood.

(Aside #2: Did I mention here that you ran a great NARCON???)
You did but I don't mind hearing it again. I'm sure you know it wasn't just me. A bunch of guys put a lot of work into it. The crappy weather we had that weekend is back again. We measured five inches of rain at my house in the last 48 hours. I think we're around 14 inches for the month. I'm sure this means all our launches this year will be dry.

Congratulations--you deserve a rocket car after all your hard work supporting rocketry!

So I guess you will be building a lot of paper rockets to help defray the cost.

Well after your excellent NARCON talk, I was planning on doing that anyway.

Escaped the shop without having to replace the brake pads after all today. Saved me a few Ben Franklin's. . .

Put the top down for the first time today; you can hear the engine (aka "Symphony in Flat Six") MUCH better. . . :clap:

Back