Bulk Pack Wish List

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Reaction score
I just looked over the latest bulk packs, and it dawned on me, that it would be really great if we could get E9 and D12 Bulk Packs. Call 'em "Pro-Paks" or whatever. Put the new igniters in them, leave the wadding out. I'd fly more clusters if that were available which means I'd buy more motors, Estes would move more product. Then sell them at hobby lobby so I can get them for 40% off. :rolleyes:

B4 Bulk packs would be nice too, B4's have such a nice long burn, they are great in rockets like the Deuces Wild, Tres, Ranger, etc. For that matter, C5's would be nice to have come back to the sport.

While I'm on the subject of bulk packs, there seem to be a lot of kit types now. I recently did a Scout build with the Space loft and the wizards. The space loft is a plastic fin unit while the wizards are balsa fins. The space loft's actually were harder for the kids to build, they had issues mounting the shock cord, and they couldn't write their name on the black airframe. The wizards were pretty good since they only had a motor block and friction fit. They built quickly and flew ok. The kids all built different configs on the fins.

The best kit for group builds from Estes in my opinion is the generic E2X. The white tube makes it easy for them to decorate them with markers and stickers, so paint is not necessary. They are rugged enough that they only need a streamer, so that would lower the cost. If they were packed like designers specials, instead of kitting them individually, that would probably lower unit cost, and make it easy to meter out the parts to the kids as needed. I have them build as a group, doing each step together, and not having all the parts in a pile in front of them keeps them on task, and from losing them. It's amazing how parts end up in a black hole in only an hour at a single table.

One time, with Cub Scouts, I pre glued the launch lugs, shock cords, and pre assembled the motor tubes, so all they had to do is glue in the motor mount, fin can, tie the cord to the nose, and decorate. all Doable in a single 1 Hr session, perfect for a scout meeting.

For older kids, BMS has a good kit in the "School Rocket". The Semroc (Centuri) Stellar Spartan is another good design for beginners because the shoulder on the fin nearly ensures the fins will go on straight. The Estes Alpha fits here too, but is more expensive than the BMS.

One time, with Cub Scouts, I pre glued the launch lugs, shock cords, and pre assembled the motor tubes, so all they had to do is glue in the motor mount, fin can, tie the cord to the nose, and decorate. all Doable in a single 1 Hr session, perfect for a scout meeting.

I just did my first Scout build yesterday with a Wizard bulk pack...things went pretty well until the fins...man, that was painful. Even then, we didn't finish (which I expected...they took their rockets home to mount the shock cord, fillets, and painting).

I wanted to use the Wizard (or Viking, either works) because you could assemble most of it using non-toxic materials verses something like a Gnome or Alpha III.

The main reason we were using Wizards is due to the firesale the Scouts had on their bulk packs of engines and rockets...got a bunch of Alpha IIIs, Gnomes, Vikings, and Wizards for dirt cheap. Any other bulk packs I could buy now wouldn't match the cost effectiveness of the Scout firesale.

I think in the future, for group builds I'll stick with the Gnomes or Alpha IIIs with close adult supervision...the fins just take too long on conventional rockets. Then once those run out, I'll look at other bulk packs (Fliskits I know has one with an interlocking fin assembly that's darn near foolproof)...or a bulk pack that uses TTW construction (like the Semroc START). Less frustration that way.

But I agree...I'd love some engine bulk packs in other flavors than just the ones Estes currently sells.

FC

I like the Semroc Boid... All of them are different and the parts are interchangeable.

..or a bulk pack that uses TTW construction (like the Semroc START). Less frustration that way.

The BMS School Rocket (mentioned above) has TTW fins. $5.25 each in any quantity. Add a payload section for $1.

Great flyer, even on windy days.

.....just a satisfied customer

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I found these after I did my last build. Probably will use this one next year...

The BMS School Rocket (mentioned above) has TTW fins. $5.25 each in any quantity. Add a payload section for $1.

Great flyer, even on windy days.

.....just a satisfied customer

bulk E and D packs would be awesome!!!! Could stock up and not have the wallet wincing in pain. Then, imagine if they'd sell bulk packs of their new F's and G's!

How about 1/2A 6-2? It's the best engine for launching basic kits on small schoolyards.

Back