Bulk Kits for a class

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket trike

Reaction score
Hello we are looking to teach a class for a 4-H group out here. We are looking for a kit that can be built and flown in the same day. Wanting to keep the price down so the kids will not have to pay much for the kits or not at all. If any one could give us any suggestion we would greatly appreciate it

Tom

You want cheap? How about free! ... (well, next to free)

All paper Rocket!

If the kids are capable of making things with construction paper, this may be a nice project. If not, maybe Jflis can help with this one!

Cases of Mach-12 rockets are on Ebay all the time for a price that adds up to about 4 bucks a rocket They go together very quickly but have a lot of plastic (if that's a bad thing for you). Also, you might want to check out Pratt Hobbies https://www.pratthobbies.com for his educational six packs.

Another place to check in on is https://www.apogeerockets.com. He also sells the Pratt 6 packs, but also has some sort of deal worked out with Quest. Pull the phone number from the site and give him a call to see what's out there that's cheap. I've always found Tim to be very helpful.

Had I been thinking at the time, I'd have bought a ton of the Estes Banshees and Mk-109s at Hobby Lobby. Sticker price was $4.99 and at 1/2 price...well, you get the picture. Maybe keep an eye out for the next sale.

yep, i was going to recommend the Midnight Express also. It is great because you can download the pre-printed version or the blank version (students get to color it themselves) *S*

I just received a picture from a customer who, after building our regular kits, decided to try a midnight express (3 of them actually) and had a ball building them! (see attachment)

The only thing that YOU have to supply is a rubber band or elastic for the shock cord, a crepe paper streamer and some clay for nose weight.

I would go with the Mach 12's. Look on Ebay for a Mach 12 at $4.25. Click on this item and somewhere on that page there is usually a link to a bulkpack. If you cannot get ahold of one of these, the Pratt ones will work. If you do go with the Pratt ones, I recommend using CA, or some type of an alignment jig, because kids will not want to hold a fin for that long.

Here are two sources for beginner model rockets I have used constantly over the years with great success.
Quest Areospace Education 1-800-7302 have a line of very inexpensive, streamer and chute based models in bulk packs, specifically designed for first time builders, Most have one piece fin units with built-in launch lugs, and plastic nose cones. very durable and fly on 13mm motors. If this is a young group and/or your first time out, I strongely recommend this route.
Second Pratt hobbies www.pratthobbies.com. Doug will make up very easy, inexpensive kits, but your are required to glue on and align the fins and that easy to misplace launch lug:)

I'll bet the Midnight Express smokes on a C6. Can't wait to fly mine, course I have to put it together first. Thanks Jim for the freebie. :D

Swimmer

Originally posted by n3tjm
C6? You Crazy! I wanna fly mine with a D21! ..... Ok... maybe I am the one that is Crazy! :D

better glass them fins fella LOL

"smoke on a C6"?????

hell, this thing'll smoke on an A8... LOL

Should make for an interesting launch picture...

why do I get the impression that the *bottom* of the Midnight Express (with the D21) will have moved 2-3 inches while the *nose* will have only moved about an inch...

The thing will come off the launch rod about 2 inches shorter than when it started... LOL

will be interesting though!

oh! here's a thought... can you run 1/64" aircraft grade ply though your printer?

I am going to coat everything with epoxy, and fill the fins with it too :). Now where do I find a D21? ... I have a D24 reload... but I don't want to loose the case.....

Hehe, I'd prefer to fly mine on a D3... and I'm also working on a 24mm version... maybe I can get Frank Kosdon to make me an 18mm G motor... :D

I'll let you guys know if I ever do ;)

Doug,
It might be worth putting a larger engine block in to replace the original paper one. Just thinking it might be a bit weak for the acceleration of a D21, well just a thought.

AC Supply Co. (https://www.acsupplyco.com) has some good prices on about 11 different Estes rocket bulk packs. A friend and myself purchased a pack of Estes Gnome rockets to teach a group of kids about rocketry. The Gnome can be assembled very easily, requires no painting and can reach an altitude of 800 feet using an A3-4T motor. Streamer recovery makes it pretty easy to recover. Overall a really good choice to teach first time rocketeers. Even with shipping the price was just under $4 each!

Okay, since this seems to be a hot topic on this thread, there are several D21's on ROL right now...

Mark

Back