bulk engine blocks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmambo

Reaction score
I've started into micro-scale. Anyone know where I can get BT-5 engine blocks - without buying motor mount kits?

Originally posted by n3tjm
www.balsamachining.com may have some. Great prices and service too. Also www.apogeerockets.com has them. Look for "Centering Ring 10-13" part number 13020.

BMS doesn't have anything appropriate that would work as "in stock" items.

I had about 20 made by BMS though. Made from 1/16" plywood. Work great! I think they were about $3.50 to have them made.

Originally posted by bigmambo
I've started into micro-scale. Anyone know where I can get BT-5 engine blocks - without buying motor mount kits?

bigmambo -

The other day, when I was finishing up my Vostok and gluing some BT-5 tubes (for auxillary motors) into the strap-ons, I had the same problem, but I didn't want to waste anyone's time, special ordering some BT-5 engine blocks.

Suddenly, I slapped myself on the forehead - it was so obvious.

Simply cut a piece of BT-5 about 1/4" long, and from that, remove a slit piece about 1/8" wide so it fits inside your BT-5 body tube.

Glue it in, you're done.

I second the use of old mini motors. I never buy engine blocks for 13mm, 18mm, or 24mm motors. If you have a band saw, you can whip out enough to fill your pockets in a snap. A razor saw will do if you only need a few.

tim

BMS does have them. They are CR35-P. They do not have them on their website yet but if you call them at 630-257-5420. They are $.15 also. I just got 100 of them in.

*SMACK* :D

geez!

FlisKits has'em, 6 for $1.05 (or about $0.17 each)... Part number is EB-5-0025. If you are interested in bulk, let me know how many and we can dispense with the fancy packaging and save you some more.

jim

:eek:

D'OH! And I've been throwing those spent engines away. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have a big supply in no time.

You can also make adapters out of spent casings. 13mm mini motors fit pretty good inside a cleaned out standard 18mm casing. Standard 18mm motors fit inside cleaned out 24mm D motors. Glue in a thrust block and you're ready to go.

tim

Back