Built and installed fin can into Estes Vapor airframe.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not even sure what that means :D

No pics?
Too late for fin can pics, already glued into airframe.
Binder style is where slots are cut aft of the fins so you tack glue the fins onto the installed but not yet glued in motor mount, slide the fin can out, add all the inner fin filets you like and slide/glue it back in. Only have to deal with repairing the slots. I learned this from the assembly instructions from Binder Design. I have since heard many flyers do this method. Especially good for smaller airframes where it is difficult to access the inside area to add filets.
Access Binder Design Excel instructions on line for a clearer understanding. Makes for a very strong assembly.

Ah very cool! Thanks.

I don't know why the Vapor has surface fins! Especially since the star Orbiter does and there almost the same rocket!

Built mine 'stock' we will see if the holds together.

A twist on the Binder instructions that a lot of builders use is to glue the forward centering ring to the motor mount, leaving the rear centering ring unglued with a couple of screw eyes mounted facing aft. Tie strings to the screw eyes, then glue only the forward centering ring and mount into the body. The unglued rear ring centers the mount while the glue on the forward ring dries. Then remove the rear ring with the strings and add internal fillets. Remove the screw eyes and strings and glue the rear centering ring to the mount and add fillets. No repairs needed to the slots.

A twist on the Binder instructions that a lot of builders use is to glue the forward centering ring to the motor mount, leaving the rear centering ring unglued with a couple of screw eyes mounted facing aft. Tie strings to the screw eyes, then glue only the forward centering ring and mount into the body. The unglued rear ring centers the mount while the glue on the forward ring dries. Then remove the rear ring with the strings and add internal fillets. Remove the screw eyes and strings and glue the rear centering ring to the mount and add fillets. No repairs needed to the slots.
Right on ! I use that method also but I have found it difficult when the space between the airframe and the motor mount is restricted.
I've tried using a stick as recommended but I dont know bow to do it properly, how to insure even coverage, even to the point of just making a mess.

Back