Building the SBR 3" Thor kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribed.

Have the same kit in my shop so I’m looking forward to your completed project.

Always wondered about the g-flex so I’ll give it a try.

Thanks!

Just watched the first video... even though I will never build a 3" Thor, I really enjoyed it. Good tip on the Great Planes block; for some reason I never thought to use rubber cement but that seems like an ideal application.

And great eye candy in the background (both the rocket wall and that Stiletto, yowsa).

Just watched the first video... even though I will never build a 3" Thor, I really enjoyed it. Good tip on the Great Planes block; for some reason I never thought to use rubber cement but that seems like an ideal application.

And great eye candy in the background (both the rocket wall and that Stiletto, yowsa).
Thanks for the feedback on the videos. Sometimes I wonder if people even are watching them. I'm a visual learner, so I find value in watching how other people do things. It's a good way to pick up valuable tips.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I fill up my shop. Maybe the wife will let me store rockets in the house?

I'm not sure what I'll do when I fill up my shop. Maybe the wife will let me store rockets in the house?
More power to you if that works... would not fly in my house. ;)

That's one big reason I stick to to LPR, already running out of rocket storage space in my basement. I probably have a year or two before I'm in trouble.

Thanks for the feedback on the videos. Sometimes I wonder if people even are watching them. I'm a visual learner, so I find value in watching how other people do things. It's a good way to pick up valuable tips.

I too am a visual learner and appreciate seeing how other rocketeers approach a project.

New techniques are gold.

Thanks for documenting your build.

Looks really good, so far. Glad to see you did it by the book.... only thing I see done differently is the attachment of the upper payload section airframe tube using the plastic rivets, rather than epoxying it in permanently. I've done it that way in the past, too - you just want to make sure you get a good seal on the coupler tube so your ejection charge doesn't lose any energy.... I see you did it that way on your 4" Thor, too. Looks like your level of finish quality on the couplers is great using the West System, so I'm sure they fit perfectly - seal shouldn't be an issue.

On the finishing - you're right - you can do as much or as little as you desire - you've done a really thorough job on the finish - and you'll be amazed at how the decals take your eye off any minor imperfections. You just won't notice 'em.

Again, really nice job - thanks for posting these videos! I'm looking forward to the next!

Scott Binder
SBR Fusion Rocket

Last edited:
your comments regarding the finish, deciding how much more you want to do, etc. reminds me of a phrase used by the C/L stunt community (who still have to build and finish their own models if they want to accrue 'Appearance Points' at the AMA Nationals...)

to the effect that 'a model is never truly finished, at some point it is abandoned'

Impressive collection, especially that Iris!

Latest posts

Back