Quantcast

Building an X-stand for 65# rocket. What diameter PVC?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
For a big rocket that might weight up to 65 pounds, depending on motor selection, what size PVC should I use to build a ground stand (X stand or Y stand) that will support its weight without collapsing? I'm figuring someone has already done this....

Thanks.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Also curious about this answer. I currently have one built out of 2x4's but i want a slightly more elegant solution.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Definitely. Not to mention it will look prettier than the stand I made in 5 minutes because I needed something to hold the fin can while I did T2T :p

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Keep the legs really really short and you can use 1/2" 😀😀

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Ha! I actually want it to be tall enough that it is easy to screw in my shear pins without bending over too much. If it requires too much bending, I will have to get Matt to put my pins in. :grin:

Right now I am thinking maybe 2" pipe. But I could save a lot of money if 1.5" or 1.75" will do.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
Ha! I actually want it to be tall enough that it is easy to screw in my shear pins without bending over too much. If it requires too much bending, I will have to get Matt to put my pins in. :grin:

Right now I am thinking maybe 2" pipe. But I could save a lot of money if 1.5" or 1.75" will do.
1.75" pipe?

Nick@JET

Reaction score
I went with 1" 72lb
2- X connected by 2 lower straight 5' sections, holds it just fine

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Use 1/2" pipe......on a table. 😀😀😄

mccordmw

Reaction score
I use 1" pvc. Holds my in-progress rocket that will weigh 50+ lbs with not issues. The legs are each 12".
Put it on a folding table and use rubber tape on the bottom. . No sliding.

I've been eyeing these, though for the utility. Use them as seats when not at a launch. I love the pouch on them. Can never have enough places to store baubels during launch day.

$16 at amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016SF1NG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

2017-02-13 14_40_41-AmazonSmile _ Allen 5805 Collapsible Fold Stool _ Sports & Outdoors.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used 3/4" for my stands. I made two U shaped about 28" tall, put them together and used a 1/4-20 piece of threaded rod with two lock nut and a spacer between so the foam would still fold flat and a piece of 150 lb Dacron line on the bottom of the U to keep that from spreading and from going flat. Some foam pipe insulation on the top parts and two of them hold my 55# rocket. The part with the highest stress is the line holding the bottom pieces from spreading too far. The cheap 1/4" non-welded chain just spread apart.

0315151240.jpg

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I used 3/4" for my stands. I made two U shaped about 28" tall, put them together and used a 1/4-20 piece of threaded rod with two lock nut and a spacer between so the foam would still fold flat and a piece of 150 lb Dacron line on the bottom of the U to keep that from spreading and from going flat. Some foam pipe insulation on the top parts and two of them hold my 55# rocket. The part with the highest stress is the line holding the bottom pieces from spreading too far. The cheap 1/4" non-welded chain just spread apart.
Very elegant!

Nathan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 312234
I knew that had to be your house when I saw the Packers sign in the window.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use 1" pvc. Holds my in-progress rocket that will weigh 50+ lbs with not issues. The legs are each 12".Put it on a folding table and use rubber tape on the bottom. . No sliding.I've been eyeing these, though for the utility. Use them as seats when not at a launch. I love the pouch on them. Can never have enough places to store baubels during launch day.$16 at amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016SF1NG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20View attachment 311827
I looked at the pouch as another place to forget where I put that one thing that I really need at the moment I most need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I knew that had to be your house when I saw the Packers sign in the window.
Of course. And during the season there are flags and other indicators that Packer fans live there!

Go Pack Go!

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very elegant!
Handeman,
That's a very elegant solution. :)
Thanks.... I don't know how elegant those are, but they work quite well and what I like best is they fold pretty flat and are easy to store. Of course if you made one U much wider then the other and put the smaller inside the wider one when you drilled the pivot holes they could be really flat, but I found it easier to make the U the same size and only have to adjust the spacer for the size of the foam.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Nice simple design..........but more importantly..what kind of rocket is that?

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I started building something last night, but came up short on supplies. Will rectify today and post something over the weekend.

RocketRev

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lord have mercy, I just started reading this post and thought the original poster was talking about a launch pad. I was going nuts thinking that you all were insane! Who would be stupid enough to build a launch pad for a 65 pound rocket out of 1 inch diameter PVC pipe. The further I read, the more I realized that there was some serious mass psychosis going on..... Then I saw the pic of the folding camp stool..... DOH!!!!!

Now I can barely stay upright to keep typing. You guys are KILLING ME! I'm almost ROFLMBO! LOL! That's the best joke I've heard today!

Thanks guys. I apparently really needed some humor today!

Brad the "It was too serious of a day so far" "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Not all PVC is created equally. I used 1" furniture grade PVC and fittings for my stand, and it will easily take and 8" 100lb rocket, which I plan to have on it. They claim that it is 5X stronger than PVC plumbing-grade pipe. I used rubber feet that are designed for walkers which were a perfect fit and I sourced some very soft rubber tubing that I heated then with a mild soapy solution slid over the areas that hold the rocket. The stand works amazing, it dissembles for transport, it is very sturdy, fits three rockets at a time and the rubber tubing provides a very positive grip on the airframe without any concern to damaging the paint job. I have a parts list somewhere and can shoot you a pic if you're interested.

As a resource here is a link the the furniture grade PVC pipe, it is not cheap though! https://formufit.com/collections/1-...n-schedule-40-furniture-grade-pvc-pipe-5-feet

cherokeej

Reaction score
We put 50+lb ARLISS M's on stands made from 3/4" schedule 80 PVC all the time. No problem.

IMAG0311.jpg