3D Printing Building an FDM printer, maybe...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just want to say thanks for mentioning UDOO. For some odd reason I was totally unaware. Looks interesting.

I've several hundred hours on a couple of 'em without a single jam or problem of any sort. All metal and PLA don't normally play well together, in this setup, it's flawless. The only problem(s) with the extruder were the included spring sucked and I immediately became suspicious when it arrived partially assembled.They had a fully threaded screw riding directly on the micro sized needle bearings. Simple fix with a shouldered screw and a different spring. You could have a dozen of these complete setups for less than the cost of a single Mosquito/Bondtech deal that wouldn't produce any better results...

Last edited:
If you want to spend a bit more, this one is really nice. Just took it apart, cleaned and lubed and it's perfect. I also like the fact that it has cooling fins and a spot for a 30mm fan. Most of your problems will arise in the heatbreak area, so the cooler you can keep it the better off you are. And...With direct drive/filament control I normally run about 0.5mm retraction for flawless prints, no matter the material used..And, I'm fairly certain it actually weighs less than the SLA printed Bondtech to boot..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y87G81X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics of my current CR-10 set20191217_072501 (1).jpg 20191217_072522.jpg up..She'll eat whatever I throw at 'er w/out complaint..

Last edited:
$350.00 for a baby machine with a cantilevered X axis? You could easily build/better that for a C-Note..

be my guest, you are free to build whatever you want, I did

25_QDo9jGrDhf7E-6YoHuf_Ec8axWhEO-yeOiPBNc3Zolh8gpuSo6qNIjIJ8WJHOcHulssynVayXm7gcVXPOJMrwoK3-McAVKY5uDjcLRIdK4H3_USPj41HiodUfGCX1cu0WPLzuga_8CmmiEBMyio9Nsh8xLqcQFFJjFTghDB5i3yL2fqlma8Y4fzNd6gZ0NC7AYbOO-m28klXfj2xTWiVyay8FM3pDac5mY33RgeEz0OIdTuHhFToFQHAkNhuNT4YSyj65VM9AW9BkR476Kp0BtWBvFAHmtX0Fa2KJhS_WKg5kDwJGNqe6109R270FogOmBdnE2z7SQlKn6rvtlicdLP4r29itaJud0FJlMXHth2oddYP0hzWIfKmRYyUWHUqSMp9nh5gskeIqb49hAQgQsWRFS49-180xYtVVJZz6O3enxYm6-LRQiQ4ZcBwRRKKpeiU803SMKFvw0_ypRRBmxeuct2P0MGPrqUu99fOkffGGlFRqRmMSF9e9TeeO_J-kgeBXfm7atVq-w1lLbezV-yLGTL09Zzt7p1Qz3Ls_uRRyO_7HzVzptiB8Ks91nberx6xZgfqWvxhqJrRq0HymC092mJdk2GAXYMYgvWJZ06IxULL7zvwHaMRSrkcRNY3JW8gf8JhHd2G-RJCXR6fQKBejnRK1QMOQY6K2imeKobw53S-ow5E=w1062-h1886-no

Looks good. Actually appears to be about 600mm in Z, but without reference can't really tell? Just not personally a fan of a moving print bed or ACME screws that long. Have you attempted a print using the entire height yet? Are the non-parallel belts causing issues?

Last edited:
Z is 1 meter, I have printed max to 850mm

I'll take your claim, show me your design, BOM and completed 7in cubed machine for $100

you could also show the other machines you have designed

I'll not. And I seriously doubt your 1 meter tall machine. It's obvious you've put a lot of time and effort into it though..BUT...Looks to me as though you've made a lot of basic engineering mistakes. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
The key to building cheap is buying used yet still serviceable and or discontinued/on sale parts. I've paid less than $50.00 for a "broken" Geeetech A10M and similar for an Ender 3 with a few missing bits. 3D printing is not as simple as the internet makes it seem and there are ltterally tons of machines out there that people simply gave up on after realizing it actually requires effort. Ya just have to find them, then you have an instant parts stash.

what do you doubt? and please price 46" long Hiwin rails

EHAIz_Y5Q58gxnFLCE2Q-3LnP2gkpCLFLtqzG4-oxkeh4cPiwd5A7PR6D1s8uO2ND_oN4HpTroqotqJ_qBhs6_NC2cHeSpX2z0A6nwwR15d038Oy7ifoDJSsUOdd5Z2DtXge2WzCoOdKSDGPlSHTnZfJrZYFOhgjUZ5-qPObOMTTvKwGGI-6UjL4mX7YUpIlfaLYUMsGsnsaKBYGp7WXZiqOSyxh_uP2erTmHqiTay_k3mnroRzScY0SkSX8s5dVjZ0V4wknpkrbmkb2vsmpK8m7syBUn-iSc9YTghqwmszYFTiBHyAPZhAu3XJYyRWYiqutWaBFVtwyG2eQvf0L8H0kuHPc8lGOxPmiY58Xel5w754ARbFUrSAj7JuIox7bbJLrIht0GK0Hy70SQcArfRDS02MI4LjLCWUdG2fxobOjLhlkSrrlVWzTFEKzWV9Q2z9tbIddTFHzBDc-CGti7Si4B7EO7xbqPSWsAHby8KLK6oATBwOUXPtNsFkYtWTvckMROt9ulrQYdQjYX2hTztc27dqfDNgyzevj1muJ5k0oHntKsYCv5qV6L-8hpeUlFCPmp4YnPa0CRwG3qWq9xOSP98v3UMcsjZThTqNtFNvi-DmNP6EvHQpyUq64PcFT23b6970Vc_lSX7VSTRrxCSBoiisUGmrO1lBslspPqsGakgsiiPJ9GFo=w1062-h1886-no

Geeetech A10M and similar for an Ender 3
both are SD card driven, not ethernet

keep in mind if you can't show at least a picture, it never happened in real life

Geeetech A10M and similar for an Ender 3
both are SD card driven, not ethernet
Not really getting your point? I'm using "parts" from each and intend to run an SKR 32 bit board. It will run either SD card/wired or wireless via WiFi using Octoprint.

my needs are apparently much different than yours, so we will disagree due to these needs

Define "needs"? As in dropping $500.00 + on Haiwin rails? Seriously doubting you Sir. As in, you'll not "spend" your way out of that corner...

Last edited:
lets just say that I have money to spend on whatever I want to and I would rather spend it on something that works and I don't have to work on it to get it to Work

Last edited:
Ma
Could the two of you maybe start another thread to duke it out in?

Maybe @vcp can salvage something out of his thread.
Maybe you and I then...As in discuss this other than here. P.M. me please..

Last edited:
lets just say that I have money to spend on whatever I want to and I would rather spend it on something that works and I don't have to work on it to get it to work
Prusa is replacing all their print farm with mini which says a lot to me
they are also coming out with prusa 4 next year corexy 40cm cubed, less than $1500

spent several thousand on rocket parts this year, just need to go look at the buy and sell here
building or buying already built rockets and flying them is more fun for me than building printers (I still have one to refurb anyway with better parts and I don't need more that way)
but as I said, your needs may be different or money constrained
Love It! I've a few bridges for sale, contact me if you're interested.

Last edited:
lets just say that I have money to spend on whatever I want to and I would rather spend it on something that works and I don't have to work on it to get it to Work
You would absolutely love the response(s) the pic of your "build" got elsewhere. I'll send links if you wan't?

Back