Building a FlisKits "TRES"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

Reaction score
Hi Everyone…

After hearing all of the good press about the TRES, and being a cluster fan myself, I decided to get one. I purchased my TRES kit from Uncle Mike’s Rocket Shack EBay store.

/Unsolicited vendor plug on.

Amazingly fast shipping and good communication. I highly recommend Uncle Mike as a vendor.

/Unsolicited vendor plug off.

It will take a bit of time to assemble, due to time constraints, but I plan to post a lot of pictures. Here is the first picture consisting of the packaging.

Good looking kit Jim…

KarlD

Here is a picture of the parts layout. Definitely not a 3FNC type of kit….

KarlD

Here is a picture of the completed motor mount. The only modification I did with it was to soak the mount triangles with CA. I am impressed in how strong of a structure resulted from a relatively low-tech construction set…

Take a bow, Jim…

KarlD

Here is a picture of the main body tube with the motor mount cuts. The method recommended in the instructions worked perfectly…i.e. Primary cut to transfer pattern, and then several more cuts to complete. Use a new blade. Take your time.

No Problems.

KarlD

Here is a picture of the dry-fit of the motor mount to the main body tube. Jims recommendation of a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a spent motor core worked very well for enlarging and shaping the motor tube slots. I did have a bit of gap-age problem, but nothing that a good fillet could not take care of.

KarlD

This picture shows the motor mount glued and taped in place for drying. I was unable to get all of the gaps out, but a good epoxy fillet will take care of that…

KarlD

Here is a picture of the motor mount taped for the fillets. Once again, Jim has this one covered in the instructions. He recommends doing this work before the fins are attached. This would have been a bit more difficult with the fins in the way…

KarlD

Here is a picture of the motor mount with my epoxy fillets drying/curing. I guess I am a member of Overbuilders Anonymous too, but epoxy fillets just look so much better. I hope to get some work done on the fins soon. More pictures will follow.

Comments always appreciated.

KarlD

Hi Everyone…

Here is a picture of the Fill-n-finish drying on the motor mount.

KarlD

Thank you...

Usually with fins it is a straightforward process...No curves like the motor mount. Took a long time to tape it.

Keeps the drippage factor down.

KarlD

Here is a picture of the fin sets, cut and sanded…as always, a penny for reference.

KarlD

While the Fill-n-Finish dries, I decided to work on the upper section. Here is the first picture of my homemade PVC rig holding the top section stationary. The bottom section is in the front drying. Yes, that is an ESTES Fin Alignment guide holding the fin. Darn useful gadget!

KarlD

Looking good! :)

Yea, that motor mount goes together nice. The pyramid of paper is just to give you a place to glue the engine tubes into position. Once installed, it is rock solid (at that point, the pyramid is just waste paper)

Keep up with the great photo essay! :)

Thanks Jim.

This project is such a change from ESTES kits. I am having a blast with it.

Onward…The upper fin set is now drying. I will let it set overnight for a complete dry before I start with the Upper Fin Strakes. Hopefully the lower section will have it’s Motor Mount tube fill-n-finish dry enough to start working on the lower fin section.

No rush though…that leads to errors.

KarlD

Cannot sleep, so I post pictures…

Here is the first Strake installed. It is starting to look like a rocket.

KarlD

Here are all of the upper strakes installed. I was tempted to install some BT-55 /BT 50 Rings and a BT-50 motor mount in the upper section and convert it into an altitude beast…:rolleyes:

I resisted….

KarlD

Originally posted by KarlD
Here are all of the upper strakes installed. I was tempted to install some BT-55 /BT 50 Rings and a BT-50 motor mount in the upper section and convert it into an altitude beast…:rolleyes:

I resisted….

KarlD

:D Been tellin' folks from the start that this thing is *begging* to be converted to multi-stage. And the electronics are small enough now that it wouldn't be that hard to do...

now, *there's* a thought.... (I'll start a thread on *that* thought... :D )

jim

Originally posted by jflis
:D Been tellin' folks from the start that this thing is *begging* to be converted to multi-stage. And the electronics are small enough now that it wouldn't be that hard to do...
\

Jim, what's the distance between "first" stage and "second" stage business ends? GHS reports successful gap-staging up to 12 inch lengths. If it's shorter than that, no electronics needed...

18 inches for the Body tube and 1 inch for the adapter. You can subtract about 2 inches for the length of the motor tube leaving a total distance of 17"...

Gap staging may be a problem with the engines canted...it might work.

You have enough lift with three motors to add a little more weight with the electronics.

Back