Build vs Organize?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Build or Organize?

• Build baby Build

• Get yourself organized

• Do both - build where you normally can't when she is home

• Don't worry about the rockets - do something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife will be out of town for a few days.
Normally I would go on a building binge, but I'm thinking I need to spend the time reorganizing my rocket stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't really do both - the space I would use to build I'll need to spread things out while I reorganize.

So question - take the time to organize? Or stay with the confusion and get more builds done???

Organize. Then the building will be more efficient, and less stressful, i.e. where did I put...

I have voted consistently for "build" for the past 10 years in my workshop. I would put my workshop up against anyone for disorganization and general clutter. One day I will organize :)

One thing that really pleases my wife is when I clean up my work area in our garage and get everything organized. This will pay dividends down the road, if you know what I mean.

You left out one additional option from the poll - Procrastinate until the day before the launch :cool:

I do not understand the question.
But the first option I like the most :)

Last edited:
Usually when I reorganize/clean my shop, I find some started and unfinished project that I get motivated to finish after I've cleaned.

I am constantly wrestling with myself with the same - clean & organize vs. build. I suggest you build though. That's what I did the last time I had the house to myself for a couple weeks and it worked great. I built in the living room so I had plenty of space and no one to mess with stuff while glue was drying.

Also it's easier to justify time spent organizing while she's there since it falls under the "cleaning / housework" category.

I've learnt, over the years, to clean & organize before starting a project, and to periodically do the same thru-out the project. And, that inventory / locations get muddled over the years. Great success comes from proper planning & staging.

If you can, If you feel you need to, if you feel / know somethings are misplaced / miscounted, take the time & organize. Take inventory, take stock, start a list of needs, wants, and repairs.. start a list of needs / wants / repairs, and go from there..

I'm in the process of organizing, and also need to repair a few things which really should be done before I build another..

I think it looks pretty good now that it's all cleaned up.

a335116-garage%20messy%20bench.jpg

How did you get a picture of my build area? :D

The way my wife knows I'm in build mode is that it looks like bomb went off in the room, and most of the debris landed on my bench..

I bet your wife would give you a "hall pass" to cleanup anytime even while she is at home.
So build while you can....clean later is my recommendation.

For maximal benefits on all counts: Organize just enough to build. Then build like crazy. Be cleaning up when she gets home. Triple win!

Back