Build Thread: Zoom and Poof!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I little update: I was able to get the data off my Raven! Even though it showed that there was no recording, when I clicked download on bank 1 the data spit out. As expected the accelerometer maxed out. Here is a screenshot of the Boost then the whole flight. Poof H999 Boost.JPGPoof H999 Full.JPG

Based on my previous flights I updated Rocksim before the flight and it was close!
Rocksim predicted: 7240ft, 230Gs, 17.8s to apogee.
Flight: 7270ft, ???Gs, 18.3s to apogee

Did I hit my 200G goal.....Still don't know, but I had to have been close if not. I have not been able to find anyone with a 250G Raven, however I do have an old Parrot V2 250G with a damaged baro sensor. I am going to attempt to fit it in my nosecone just to ride along to see if the accelerometer still works in it.

Here we go again! Poof on an H999. I am going to try to fly it this weekend.

After doing some testing on an old Featherweight Parrot V2 I confirmed that the baro sensor is screwed, but the accelerometer seams to still be functioning properly, and its a 250G version! So, it will be tagging along in my nose cone as data only, no pyro since I cant trust the baro. Fitting it was a huge challenge. I relocated a lot of the mounting holes on the sled and re printed it. Then I removed the terminal block of the Parrot and hardwired it to a mag switch. The other mag switch is for the GPS. The Raven controlling the ejection charges still has a physical screw switch.

I am hopping that all the stuff on the backside of the FM antenna wont affect signal too much since the other side is open and free.

AVBay1.jpg InkedAVBay2_LI.jpg

While remounting everything, I did run into a issue that if not found would have been a huge problem. I noticed the mag switch for my GPS acting in consistent and seamed not reliable. I started checking the connections and after removing the heat shirk I found this... Most likely due to repeated stress from connecting and disconnecting for charging. Needless to say, the other connections were also checked.

switch mag.jpg

Attachments

• AVBay2.jpg
    AVBay2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 10
After some more time in RockSim, ejection charge testing, and a custom MMT adapter... I finally got Zoom ready for a low power flight.

There were a few tricky things to figure out.

1) Dropping the weight: This wasn't too bad, just swapping out the FG nose cone with altimeter and GPS for a plastic cone with a FlightSketch Mini. For the F flight I was still able to use the chute release, but for the E flight I had to remove it to still be at a safe lift off weight/speed.

2) Recovery mount: The original spot that the recovery harness attaches too is the motor itself (seen below). To get around this, I just tied a 1/4"-20 nut to the end that is near the motor. Everything is still removable and keeps the weight down. And this leaves the center bolt hole open for ejection gasses to pass though so I wont need electronic deployment.
BKheadK.JPG
3) Motor adapter: Just a quick model and print job, nothing too fancy, but it has a cool boat tail!

4) Ejection charge testing: You wouldn't think I would need to retest the ejection with as much testing as I did for the high power motors and having several successful flights. But I am glad I did! In lowpower configuration it does not have any sheer pins so I knew I could get away with less BP. Previously I used 0.7g and I decided on 0.5g for lowpower mode. I friction fitted the MMT adapter very snug and when tested, it popped the nosecone and MMT out.... Figure out it has to be the restriction of passing though the above bolt hole (which is empty in lowpower mode and the only way for the pressure to pass to the parachute bay).

I added a set screw to hold the MMT in place and friction fitted it Very tight. When tested it still moved the MMT about 1/8" out. And I had to use channel locks to remove it from its friction fit. My third try was using 3 4-40 set screws and a light friction fit. This worked great on the ground. Time for flight

IMG_8473.jpg

My motors of choice were the F67-9W and E30-7T. Location, Akrovill Airport Texas with Tripoli North Texas. As always, they put on an incredible launch. The weather in the morning was looking nasty, but the clouds burnt off around 11am and it was time to fly.

IMG_8580.jpg IMG_8583.jpg

Both flights were great! And thanks to Harry Spears I have this great photo of the F67.
Another note: The little FlightSketch Mini is so fun. Its simply, light, and power packed. I cant wait to see their next products!
IMG_8607.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-29 133949.jpg

D??
Still not sure if Zoom will see a D motor or not. If I could find an OOP D21 it would be great, if not the D22 could work if I can shed a few more grams. But its definitely a possibility. Only if they made a D with Warp9.

H?
I will do an H flight someday to fill in the gap, but its not a priority. I am thinking the H550ST or H178DM. But could be a H112J or H999.

Additional,
Also still want to do the I1299, J570, J510 (with body tube extender). Ok I need to slow down to save $$$ for other rockets.

And here is the video!
2021 03 TNT Akroville - Zoom F&E - YouTube

Time for a D and a J !

21.jpg dj.jpg

A bit of a late update, but in late June at the TNT launch out in Seymour TX I finally tried to fly Zoom on a D. @manixFan was able to set me up with an old AT D21-4. Which with its high thrust would be the perfect D for this launch. The only caveat is that this is an old motor (still sealed in its original blister pack).
The copperhead that came with it crumbled as soon as I tried to insert it in the motor. I had a newer copperhead that I also could not get to fit. After several attempts with different types of ignitors and a lot of help from Harry we were finally able to get an ignitor in that lit. It took off the pad really nicely! And right at apogee.....nothing. It finally blew the ejection charge as it was hitting the ground. The cheap plastic nose cone is destroyed, but the rest of the rocket is un harmed. Time for a J!
IMG_9555.JPG IMG_9568.PNG IMG_9515.JPGD21 graph.jpg
I cleaned up the rocket, loaded up a J570 in it and put on the heavy FG nose cone with all the electronics. No issues igniting this one, it screamed off the pad with over 80Gs reaching Mach 1.9. With my Featherweight GPS it was just a medium walk straight to the rocket. The landing was a bit rough as the chute release seamed not only tangled but I am guessing the nose cone landed on it busting it apart. I am going to need a new chute release :(.

IMG_9521.JPG IMG_9566.PNG IMG_9567.PNG IMG_9526.JPG

Here is the video. The last part is my FatMan on an I327 DarkMatter, first flight after its accident.
Zoom D to a J and FatMan I sparky - YouTube

Time for a D and a J !

View attachment 477265 View attachment 477266

A bit of a late update, but in late June at the TNT launch out in Seymour TX I finally tried to fly Zoom on a D. @manixFan was able to set me up with an old AT D21-4. Which with its high thrust would be the perfect D for this launch. The only caveat is that this is an old motor (still sealed in its original blister pack).
The copperhead that came with it crumbled as soon as I tried to insert it in the motor. I had a newer copperhead that I also could not get to fit. After several attempts with different types of ignitors and a lot of help from Harry we were finally able to get an ignitor in that lit. It took off the pad really nicely! And right at apogee.....nothing. It finally blew the ejection charge as it was hitting the ground. The cheap plastic nose cone is destroyed, but the rest of the rocket is un harmed. Time for a J!
View attachment 477254 View attachment 477250 View attachment 477251View attachment 477252
I cleaned up the rocket, loaded up a J570 in it and put on the heavy FG nose cone with all the electronics. No issues igniting this one, it screamed off the pad with over 80Gs reaching Mach 1.9. With my Featherweight GPS it was just a medium walk straight to the rocket. The landing was a bit rough as the chute release seamed not only tangled but I am guessing the nose cone landed on it busting it apart. I am going to need a new chute release :(.

View attachment 477255 View attachment 477256 View attachment 477257 View attachment 477259

Here is the video. The last part is my FatMan on an I327 DarkMatter, first flight after its accident.
Zoom D to a J and FatMan I sparky - YouTube
Great write up and video. Crazy that the J570 has 60X more thrust than the D21 and the the rocket flew fine on both. Bummer about the deployment events though. Glad no damage to the rocket. It's possible the Chute Release is repairable. I had one damaged a during a hard landing - and I was able to get replacement parts from Jolly Logic for a reasonable cost. I hope that works out for you.

And I love how you show the difference in flame size, really shows the difference between the level of thrust from the motors.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I could not have done it with out you and Harry. Getting a working ignitor to fit took us about an hour. I might still try ATs new D22, but it actually has lower thrust than the D21 and the recommended max lift off is also lower, so I probably wont fly a D again.

I exchanged a few emails with John and he said he would take a look at it, but no promises. I was hopeful that it was just missing a few small parts, but after examining it more I noticed that 1 of the LEDs was knocked off and it also is not changing the altitude consistently after boot up. Most of the time hitting the buttons do nothing and the only way to turn it off is to unplug the batterie. I still might send it to him, but right now I do not trust it.

Here are some Chute Release guts if anyone was curious.

IMG_9529.JPG

I finally decided and got a chance to fly Zoom on an I1299. Surprisingly it had more Gs than Poof on the H999. It out Poofed Poof with 156.4Gs! I really didn’t expect more Gs because of the additional weight (I was using the 720 casing with the reload adapters).
IMG_6270.PNG

156Gs.png
I have some improvements I am making before flying again. I had an old Parrot V2 recording the high Gs and now that I have a Blue Raven I can use that instead. This will shave off a bit of weight for more speed and Gs. I am also getting rid of the original screw switch and replacing it with a mag switch. I am also planning on replacing the chute release with my home made cord cutter. This will shave off a bit, but more than anything it will help with the recovery packing.

I plan to fly this new configuration a few times and then Zoom and Poof will probably take a long break. There are plans for a more optimized version that Harry (The rocket Yoda) has already named Poof BeGone.

My plans for Poof BeGone will be 3 wraps of 3K CF tube, 1/16” G10 fins with no reinforcement, sized for 38/600 casing, and custom nose cone. The NC will be the biggest difference for weight. I don’t have a timeframe of when Ill start this one yet.

I really didn’t expect more Gs because of the additional weight (I was using the 720 casing with the reload adapters).
I have the 480 case if you ever want to borrow it.

Poof BeGone sounds like something special! I've been present and looking at the pad for several flights of original Poof, but I think I've only managed to see it launch once. Blink, and it's gone!

Back