Build Thread - Wildman 3” Darkstar...or how I learned to love the hobby again.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
It’s been quite some time since I’ve started a thread outside of the Yard Sale forum. I’ve spent a solid 20 years in this hobby, 14 of them as a HPR certified flyer since I turned 18. A lot of things have happened in my life since I started flying rockets...met my wife in High School, went to Clarkson University, started working at GE, got married, bought 2 houses, had 2 kids, and we’re expecting #3 in July! When I think of those life events, rocketry was almost always a parallel adventure...until about 2 years ago.

I like problem solving and dreaming up new ways to approach common problems. I have a hard time watching TV because my mind is always on other “problems” that need to be solved, frequently hobby or home improvement related. I tinker, and love power tools. I also think in a very Capitalist way...if I make something I need, why not make 1,000 of them for people with the same problem? This is where I got into trouble with rocketry.

Back when I stopped flying rockets, it was because I was trying too hard to make a business out of it instead of enjoying what I loved most about it...the release from responsibility. I was making a lot of motor hardware for people on my lathe which is quite time consuming. My day would start at 6:30-7am with my day job and end at 8-9pm when I was done on the lathe. This left less time for me to spend on my own rocketry goals, but forget that....it ate up the time I should have been spending with my young, growing family. While it never became a true problem, I just wasn’t thrilled with it knowing it would never supplant my “real job.” I stopped doing so much on the lathe, but I wasn’t as timely as I should have been in order fulfillment and the responsibility was always on my mind.

Becoming a “vendor” also morphs your relationships with people, namely other “vendors.” I won’t go much into this, but I didn’t find it enjoyable and I would guess others would say the same.

The above is me “getting stuff off my chest,” and not meant to incite pity. It’s my way of sharing my experiences and it could help other rocketeers approach becoming a vendor or avoid it altogether. Always be cognizant of your goals and never do something to cause you to lose the passion or negatively effect personal relationships!

So...here we are! You made it this far! Why did I start this thread? To reignite my love for rocketry...pun intended. Keeping prior issues in the past, I decided on a Wildman 3” Darkstar to utilize my AT 54/852 and 1280 cases because I liquidated all of my EX stuff last year (eliminating student loans in the process...short term debt free now!).

My 5 year old son, Ryan, and I will be building this together. In these trying times, my goal is to connect with my son, like my dad did, through engaging and constructive activities.

More to come...but everyone knows the first step...give the parts a bath.

Thanks for reading, the rest of the thread will be more on topic. I’m happy to be here.

Attachments

• 62E26B99-209C-4948-8CEB-00B941E91AD8.jpeg
    62E26B99-209C-4948-8CEB-00B941E91AD8.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 76
I should also note that you'll see the outcome of some of my tinkering and tool acquisition in this build thread...3D printing and CNC router work. I have developed quite a bit of experience trying to commercialize these things, and have done so successfully with my 3D printers, but it will be nice to focus on using them for a personal goal.

going to echo rfjustin and welcome you back!

enjoy your build (sure did pick a good kit) and have fun doing it with your family.

Fiberglass dust has flown! The first step in every one of my builds EVER has been the fore CR prep and attachment. Older builds would be simple...just glue that sucker on because I used to fly EX with eye bolts in the fore bulkhead. Those days are (mostly) gone, so I need provisions for a shock cord attachment.

My Wildman order consisted of the Darkstar kit and a 3' length of 1" Kevlar strap commonly used for just this purpose. Step one, in this build, is to notch the CR for the Kevlar cord. I marked the ring with a pencil to show what material to remove (picture 1).

Following the marking exercise, I put a NECESSARY tool in my Dremel that all rocketeers building FG rockets should have...a 1/8" carbide fishtail chipbreaker burr. I typically use these with my CNC router to make quick work of fiberglass sheet, so the fact that I had one to fit my Dremel was super convenient. Be warned that these bits are AGGRESSIVE, so practice on some scrap and then ease into it on your part. End result of my handiwork is shown in picture 2.

Link to the 1/8" Carbide Chipbreaker Burr from drillman1 on eBay.

Picture 3 shows the end result with the CR installed on the motor tube and the strap installed in the new slot. Clean fit, ready to be installed.

That's all for tonight! I received a lot of rocket stuff yesterday and today, which is a great feeling. Eggtimer LCD receiver with SMT connector and antenna option, Eggtimer GPS addition for receiver from @Worsaer (thanks!), and a variable voltage soldering kit to assemble all this stuff.

More to come!

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 46
Fiberglass dust has flown! The first step in every one of my builds EVER has been the fore CR prep and attachment. Older builds would be simple...just glue that sucker on because I used to fly EX with eye bolts in the fore bulkhead. Those days are (mostly) gone, so I need provisions for a shock cord attachment.

Why on earth does your commercial hardware not have an eyebolt.. :)

Does it woek as efficiently with wood, or does that somehow gum it up or something? (I dont imagine theres a problem, just figured Id ask the man that owns one)

Good question, I also use it on plywood with my CNC! It effectively murders any material it comes into contact with. It won't create a smooth surface unless you blend it well, so you may want to finish it by sanding with a drum.

Does it fail?

(I am not good at sewing.)

Attachments

• 52D07657-7C16-4090-86BE-48C96D443C9E.jpeg
    52D07657-7C16-4090-86BE-48C96D443C9E.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 28
More progress...added the Data Logger to my Eggfinder Tx.

Also shown is the Alti-Tube setup for my tracker. I had made up about 10 of these as a kit, but never offered it. Read the first post :)

Attachments

• 1E4F5C6F-266E-4E1E-8D37-308DAF834BA6.jpeg
    1E4F5C6F-266E-4E1E-8D37-308DAF834BA6.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 43
  • B5B95E5D-0D76-43AF-AC18-9F4E3F252D98.jpeg
    B5B95E5D-0D76-43AF-AC18-9F4E3F252D98.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 43
Hi Dan, I hope you enjoy building and flying your D-Star as much as I do.
Good luck and have fun.!
Cj

Hi Dan, I hope you enjoy building and flying your D-Star as much as I do.
Good luck and have fun.!
Cj
Thanks Jim, it’s been fun to exercise the old rocket brain again. It’ll be even better once I’m out in a field again!

Update time! I didn’t order an AeroPack retainer with this kit as I had one on hand. When I test fit on the motor tube I noticed that it’s too loose on the Wildman tube. No worries, I happen to have an 18” length of Madcow FWFG tubing available that fits the retainer perfectly!

This created a new “issue,” the CR’s that came with the kit will no longer work. This is but a small issue...enter the CNC Router! A quick search of the scrap bin yielded some 1/4” plywood perfect for the job, and 5 minutes of Fusion CNC and caliper measurements yielded a cut file. Another 3 minutes to cut the ring confirmed my dimensions are good. Typically I would cut all 4 at once, but because I’m using scrap it’s one at a time.

Next step is to cut 2 more rings the same as this one followed by the 4th ring that will have the same clearance feature for the strap that I carved into the kit ring.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 9A87524E-D8E5-43C9-9D12-8B97A4271614.jpeg
    9A87524E-D8E5-43C9-9D12-8B97A4271614.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 40131301-DB98-4A31-92B8-AFEB1AD19BB1.jpeg
    40131301-DB98-4A31-92B8-AFEB1AD19BB1.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4B824212-B77A-44F2-82FE-4297AC7B5079.jpeg
    4B824212-B77A-44F2-82FE-4297AC7B5079.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 16
For anyone interested, here’s some unexciting pics of the Carbide 3D Shapeoko XXL cutting the rings.

Attachments

• 138E99EA-40B3-4C9A-8CF5-4C14A388403D.jpeg
    138E99EA-40B3-4C9A-8CF5-4C14A388403D.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 4A950FB6-EEB3-41F3-A617-44BD71EC74F9.jpeg
    4A950FB6-EEB3-41F3-A617-44BD71EC74F9.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 37
  • C127FC0F-8F47-492E-9275-6EC58B17776E.jpeg
    C127FC0F-8F47-492E-9275-6EC58B17776E.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 37
The upper ring, with strap slot, has been CNC’d!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 23
Still VERY ugly, but now with Nylon and a better needle pattern.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 24
...and then there was glue! The aft CR is the first to be installed because I am planning to do some small internal fillets using the injection method. The aft CR therefore becomes the “reference” ring and all the rings forward of it get located off the fore face based on the fin root lengths and gap between them.

I located this ring by slipping it on the motor tube and then pushed it into place using the depth stop in the AeroPack. Once in place, BSI InstaCure Cyanoacrylate was dripped into the seam around the complete circumference on both sides. Capillary action pulls this super thin glue into the gap and locks it in place. You can see the evidence of this from the ID of the tube because the tube is now totally clear and you can clearly make out the ply laminations through the tube.

Attachments

• 809DD806-8ED7-4940-8783-4CB7A056655C.jpeg
    809DD806-8ED7-4940-8783-4CB7A056655C.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 18
  • BDF396D0-277F-4045-8699-A9458B7A4F0B.jpeg
    BDF396D0-277F-4045-8699-A9458B7A4F0B.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
All 5 rings have been tacked to the motor tube. Yes, I said 5. I had to add the 5 because of the longer motor tube being used to provide a top ring for the Kevlar anchor.

Speaking of the Kevlar anchor...it’s attached to the tube using West Systems 105/206! Advice to the neophytes that’s may be reading this: don’t mess around with cheap laminating epoxy, buy West. It’s WELL worth the price tag because of its consistent cure and easy 5:1 by weight or volume measurement. It’s also compatible with their impressive array of additives. I’ll be using 105/206 with their 404 High Density filler for all of the filleting on this build. Seriously, just buy it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 21
Oops, double post! Let’s fix it with an edit!

Here are the aforementioned 105/206 with 404 filler fillets. I added enough to make it a bit thicker than Peanut Butter so it won’t sag. Mix thoroughly, apply to the joints, then form a fillet with a tongue depressor (for the top ring) or a popsicle stick (for the small, less important fillets).

More knowledge for the epoxy or rocketry neophytes...EPOXY SENSITIVITY IS A VERY REAL THING. I was naive to it until 7-8 years ago. I was doing layups in an apartment bedroom without any ventilation or PPE. I’d regularly get Epoxy on my hands and just wash it off with Lava soap instead of properly protecting myself. I now develop a dry skin rash on my hands whenever I come into contact with Epoxy and sometimes when inhaling the fumes in my large and well ventilated basement. While not a huge deal, it’s certainly avoidable!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Is this thing on? How about this...due to a VERY generous rocketeer this rocket will probably fly on a K1100T at some point (you know who you are, and I’m always in awe of and inspired by your love for the hobby and continued generosity).

I don’t need the motor tube or CR’s from the kit. The tube is just shy of 16.5” long, material is Wildman thin wall 54mm FWFG. 4 rings, 1/8” thick, black FG with one notched for a 1” wide Kevlar strap.

The first person to message me what they would use the tube (and rings maybe) for gets it shipped to them for free!

Tube is accounted for. I’ll get back to posting on the rocket construction now, thanks for playing :)

Dan,
What do you like about the 404 over the 406? I've only used the 406 to do the same as you (peanut butter thick fillets).
Adrian

Dan,
What do you like about the 404 over the 406? I've only used the 406 to do the same as you (peanut butter thick fillets).
Adrian
I also use the 406 and have also also have not used the 404 and I am curious to what you like about the 404

404 is advertised in the following manner:

"West System 404 High-Density filler is an epoxy thickening additive developed for maximum physical properties in hardware bonding where high-cyclic loads are anticipated. 404 can also be used for filleting and gap filling where maximum strength is necessary."

I like that adding a large amount of 404 doesn't change the total volume much, and it never turns into a "whipped topping," or airy, consistency. The result is just a wet, thick mixture which suggests good surface contact and maximum adhesion.

406 is certainly adequate based on what I read about it...I just wound up with 404! I suggest you give the following a read to make the choice for yourselves:

https://www.westsystem.com/filler-selection-guide/
I'll be introducing a new epoxy to the build at some point very soon...time for fin installation and I have every intention to make sure those things stay put with minimal weight added!

Back