Build thread: Really Koo Stuff 1/100 N1 Moon Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3rd and 4th stage BT-60 tube is glued on to the centering rings.
One half of the third stage is dry fitted to check for clearance and adjustments.
0516210225a[1].jpg
0516210228[1].jpg

Then four pins are cemented into the four holes in one half of the third stage.
0516210231[1].jpg

And it's all allowed to dry.
TBC.

While gluing the first two stages a grid fin brushed up against my leg and the lower two glue contact joints popped.
Easily repaired, but this seems to be a point of concern for landing damage. Perhaps this is why two extra fins are supplied.
I wonder if it would be possible to 3D print a hinge and rod and glue the grid fin to that? Also would be more scale realistic. Up for display, down for flight.
N1_1M1_mockup_on_the_launch_pad_at_the_Baikonur_Cosmodrome_in_late_1967.jpg

A hinged grid fin would stand a better chance of surviving landing contact I would think.
More give, less damage.
Anyhoo, third and fourth stages get glued later today.
TBC.

Last edited:
I think there is an unwritten Law of Epoxy:
No matter how careful you are, you WILL get some on you.
Or your clothes.

I managed do some epoxying last night on the WM Andromeda without getting any on me! (there, now I've just jinxed the whole weekend!). Once I finish that, I'll move on to my N-1

The display tower is finer resolution and fit the nose cone without sanding.
The stock tower had residue/flash stuck to it even after the support material was removed and required considerable sanding to fit.

I was wondering why there were 2 towers. (no, I haven't looked at the instructions yet...)

Trusses have been glued on. Initially I was going to use modeling cement, so I started sanding off the paint in the areas where the trusses contact the airframe. Glue to paint = not good, right?
But the instructions again say to use contact adhesive. The picture in the instructions shows Gorilla Glue contact adhesive. It is a clear, thick goopy adhesive. It also says the glue can be peeled off.
So I'm guessing it's similar to clear silicon adhesive.
Unfortunately as I mentioned Home Depot does not have that particular adhesive.
Fortunately I think I have something similar. It's called Foam2foam. I believe it's a silicone adhesive cuz when I roll the half dried glue on my fingers it balls up with that "silicone feel", if you know what I mean.
Anyhoo, that's what I used:
Lower trusses.
0521211835[1].jpg

Upper trusses
0521211835a[1].jpg

There will be a gap in the lower trusses that you will want to line up with the launch lug hole
0521211838a[1].jpg

Same with the upper trusses
0521211838[1].jpg

Main engine nozzles for display only.
0521211840a[1].jpg

And the plaque.
0521211840[1].jpg

A Top Flight 48" X Chute is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
So I'm calling this build done.
Just need to do some minor brush touchup.
0521211915[1].jpg

Flight video whenevah.
Thanks for following.

What a great build!

I wonder if something like Beacon Fabri-Tac would have worked as an adhesive for the trusses?
Maybe. I think it has some acetone.
I just used some yesterday to bond the plastic centering rings of an R3 Honeybee Micromaxx rocket to the cardboard airframe.

That is so ....Koo...!

Both N-1's a little pricey for me at the moment. Will consider the Soyuz once that's in production. Let us know how it flies.

A fellow rocketeer just flew his here about a week ago.
Around the 9:03 mark:
Updates... | Page 42 | The Rocketry Forum
A little squirrelly but no damage.

If I was building again new, I would consider replacing the BT-50 skeleton with a BT-50H.
(You will have to sand out and slightly widen the openings in the 3D printed parts).
My N-1 toppled over on the carpeted floor and the core got bent.
Will repair and maiden at the first opportunity.
I need a big field.

Hi Folks,

Just joined the group; working on 1/100 N1. Looking good, lots of sanding!

I agree that core tube reinforcement is a good idea...lots of stress on a small cardboard tube.

Question: How did you align the different stages, aside from having the launch rod clear the fuel duct work?

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks! I don't have a copy....if that's what you used to set yours up. I'll carefully study your photos.

David Koo claims his model to be about 90% accurate citing conflicting references. In any case it will make a striking model and look good with my Apogee S-1B
(here modeled with my grandson!SIB.jpg

Steve

Beautiful model!

You inspired me to go back to a 3D design I was occasionally working on to try to make my on N1 (downloaded files from Thingiverse but too many issues to make a strong print for rocketry so redesigning / rebuilding)...

1643340916022.png

Back