Build Thread - MoonShot III Heavy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, no comparison, really, but 115 grams made me chuckle.......this is the heaviest of my slugs for the nose of my Phoenix.......😁. (Sorry, it’s sideways....)

Attachments

• 53D6A9E1-072B-4685-83A5-90D7F17CE24E.jpeg
    53D6A9E1-072B-4685-83A5-90D7F17CE24E.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 60
Hey Long_Gone, did you mean something by that last comment that was not as sarcastic and insulting as it looks?

PayLoad, that looks like somewhere in the ballpark of a 675J90. What total impulse did you compute from the gathered data?

Is the rise time what you intended? I'm talking out my butt, but it looks quite long to me.

I HAD to post a "Thank You" to Rocketgeek101, who printed my motor extensions, they worked perfectly, THANKSIMG_8333.JPGIMG_8334.JPG

Last edited:
Are these parts made from steel?
That would be a no go at a NAR or TRA launch

Dad?

Yeah, pretty much my entire experience on this build thread has been how "you can't do that" and "that's not right" and has been pretty damn discouraging.

Michael

Last edited:
Dad?

Yeah, pretty much entire experience here is how "you can't do that" and "that's not right" pretty damn discouraging. But the "Post a pic that makes you laugh" is still pretty good.

Michael

The safety rules were put in place for a reason. They are all posted on the NAR and TRA websites.
We have told our insurance companies and the government agencies that we will follow those safety rules.

The safety rules were put in place for a reason. They are all posted on the NAR and TRA websites.
We have told our insurance companies and the government agencies that we will follow those safety rules.

I agree with you 100%

Hey Payload,
Wish I was in your neck of the woods. I'd love to see this bird fly!
Btw, thx for sharing your ideas/techniques of this build. I really dig "Outside the Box" solutions.

Best wishes and plz post pics of the launch.

Here is the guidance on ductile metal

Seems like the design would fit the rules, it's for integrity of the rocket and is only as much as needed. At the end it's between a discussion/agreement between the builder and the RSO

https://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/D...Metal%20in%20Rocket%20Construction%20v2.0.pdf
Nice design, love to see the 1st test article

Last part of metal in rockets

Revision: June 2015
The set of metals that shall meet the “ductile metal” constraint is limited to:
- Aluminum alloys
- Copper Alloys

good point - the NAR code does not specify the metals that meet ductile - guess one could use the scientific definition of ductile metal in that instance - glad PayLoad abides by the safety rules - never seen any stainless eyebolts in his rockets

Is the rise time what you intended? I'm talking out my butt, but it looks quite long to me.
I certainly never meant to be discouraging. I this comment was, I apologize.
The set of metals that shall meet the “ductile metal” constraint is limited to:
- Aluminum alloys
- Copper Alloys
Aw, c'mon. Pure copper is more ductile than most of it's alloys. Silver is more ductile yet, and nothing is more ductile than gold.

Last edited:
No need to re-invent the wheel. I scrapped all plans for "ikea" hardware for releasing boosters, instead relying on a simple ejection-release of boosters. Nosecone holds booster in place, ejection removes nosecone & releases booster.IMG_8595.JPGIMG_8596.JPGIMG_8597.JPG

I'm familiar with those Apogee strap-on booster hooks and while they are great, I have to question whether they will hold up in a high-power flight... Especially when the boosters are going to be hauling the whole rocket into the air without the central motor helping. I could be wrong but it's something you might want to consider/test.

Definitely make sure though that you inspect the hooks and check the fit of your boosters before every flight. The hooks warp very easily. I've already had to take a lighter to mine to soften them and form them back into shape after a booster got stuck on a bent hook.

PayLoad - do you have a wag on the apogee this beast is going to hit? And am I reading that thrust curve graph right - over 7 seconds of burn? I’d say this rocket is going to put on quite a show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back