Build Thread - MoonShot III Heavy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the temp hit -8F. I love rocketry, but not sure of the effect of extreme cold on the motors - Should I be concerned?

Just to answer this question, I would be concerned about BP but not composite motors. If I remember correctly, these are composite G's so you should be okay. Composite propellant is a bit more rubbery as opposed to pressed BP, which is more hard and brittle.

20210302_214625.jpg

38mm airframe, AIM Xtra GPS, Flightsketch mini, Twin Dual Hi-def cameras, 7.4 V Lipo battery, wifi on/off, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Last edited:
More commonly known of as "How much can I jam into a 38mm Nosecone - Aim Xtra GPS, Twin dual-cameras, flightsketch mini, all wired together with WiFi switch to turn everything on at once.
IMG_8843.JPG

Flying v.9 (No detaching boosters) with no electronics. Not only do I not have the tracker, camera, etc., I cannot for the life of me get the JLCR into the frame. Spent an hour trying.

Final model will have 3 G80 Boosters and an X I90. This one has 4 G80s.IMG_8922.JPG

Launch on Weds, please keep your fingers crossed

Flying v.9 (No detaching boosters) with no electronics. Not only do I not have the tracker, camera, etc., I cannot for the life of me get the JLCR into the frame. Spent an hour trying.

Final model will have 3 G80 Boosters and an X I90. This one has 4 G80s.View attachment 461904

Launch on Weds, please keep your fingers crossed

What deploys the parachute?

KISS principal - ejection at 13 seconds from center G80. All boosters "eject" as well, with a tube full of tracking chalk!

Oh ok 👌. Sorry I miss read your post and thought you where using your I90 as a center motor. Can I suggest buying a rrc2 for 40 dollars just as a backup to appoge? That's to nice of a rocket to core in if the center motor does not light.

...yikes...never thought of that. I knew she'd fly even if 2 of the 4 don't light, never considered what would happen if the center didn't - no ejection - lawn dart

My goal was to put the rocket on the pad, then turn on all systems remotely, including eggtimer, flightsketch, dual videos, etc. Goal was to avoid having to disassemble the rocket 50% prior to launch to flip this switch, set this jumper, or turn this & that on. All will be done thru bluetooth comms & tablet, with visual feedback showing each individual system armed.

This has been a dream/goal of mine for years - full integration with feedback to a hand-held tablet.

If you are a Tripoli member, then check with an RSO NOW to see if this would qualify as a research flight. If you are NAR only, I would respectfully suggest that 99% of the RSO's will say no to having anyone but the LCO launch it. They have to follow the rules to protect their field and insurance.

This doesn't have to be guesswork, just ask the big questions before you get started down a rabbit hole you can't climb out of...

1st test of MoonShot Heavy - powered by 4 G-80-13T (one main surrounded by three boosters) No electronics installed, I just wanted to see if it would fly with only 3 fins.

Center motor did NOT ignite (predicted by 3-stooges) so there was no parachute ejection. Damn thing went straight as an arrow - and could still be going as far as I know as I never saw it again. Second best looking launch I ever had. First cluster.

Listen in the video to the people who were watching, who were expecting a 300 foot estes shot. That laughter & amazement is why I do this, why we all do this. Worth the loss.

Moonshot Test 1.jpg

1st test of MoonShot Heavy - powered by 4 G-80-13T (one main surrounded by three boosters) No electronics installed, I just wanted to see if it would fly with only 3 fins.

Center motor did NOT ignite (predicted by 3-stooges) so there was no parachute ejection. Damn thing went straight as an arrow - and could still be going as far as I know as I never saw it again. Second best looking launch I ever had. First cluster.

Listen in the video to the people who were watching, who were expecting a 300 foot estes shot. That laughter & amazement is why I do this, why we all do this. Worth the loss.

View attachment 462566

My go-to fail-safe is to throw an Eggtimer Apogee in the nose cone as primary with motor ejection as the backup. Your other option for this flight, since the boosters were not separating, would be to have streamers in the boosters. Shouldn't mess with the main if it comes out and might save the bird if it doesn't.

The other thing with clusters is you really should have sure-fire igniters or engines. That either means Cesaroni motors, which have a pyrogen pellet, or doctored igniters treated with pyrogen so you get a fast/hot ignition. Stock igniters really don't cut it. Check out the ML Series Magnelites: http://www.rocketflite.com/

Fast lighting propellants as well (you used BT which is generally the best, but not if the center doesn't light). Outboards that don't ignite will result in off center thrust and cause some pitch-over. If only one outboard ignites you might get a land shark...

Great lift off shot, sorry about the loss of the rocket.

how big was your launch field? I am hoping very large.

(sigh) and that advice would be? And NEVER talk about someones mom unless you are standing in front of them.

I'm sorry for your loss. I occurs to me that the usual reason for a rocket being lost is that the chute does deploy, and the rocket sails away. If there was no deployment then it would have come down ballistic. So don't go looking for it too far away, just look the fins sticking up out of the ground.

(sigh) and that advice would be?
To add electronic deployment in case of exactly the failure that, in fact, occurred.

It’s worth noting that much of the freedom this hobby enjoys is based on certified users that actually follow NAR/TRA safety codes. Hopefully your cert is current and you had an active waiver with appropriate standoff distances and a remote camera. Even so, you’d probably be better off finding a site that is a little more friendly to I impulse clusters. And if not, at least don’t publicize it online for others to hold against us.

What a freakin downer. Now I admit, you are all correct. To the sport I love, I apologize, I will no longer post experimental, homebuilt, or any launch material.

And as for "find and clean up my mess", please kiss my ass - I spent 7 months designing, building, and putting my soul into MoonShot. I spent 2 days searching for it.

What a freakin downer. Now I admit, you are all correct. To the sport I love, I apologize, I will no longer post experimental, homebuilt, or any launch material.

And as for "find and clean up my mess", please kiss my ass - I spent 7 months designing, building, and putting my soul into MoonShot. I spent 2 days searching for it.
The problem isn't you posting about it, the problem is you doing something that is illegal (4x G cluster breaks FAA regulations without a waiver) and unsafe (people alerted you about the cluster ignition problem) and then acting immaturely when the people who warned you were right. Frankly, the last couple of pages of this thread have been embarrassing to read as you continue to fail to take advice from experienced rocketeers and then lash out at them.

I will no longer embarrass anyone. Myself I don't feel embarrassed at all. I will no longer engage, as Y.C.W.A.A.O.T.I

Andrew has said it very well. I just call Bullshit. You've ignored good advice in this and other threads for quite some time. First cluster attempt huh ? Good thing you left that out until post #102. You might have gotten more discouraging advice. We may never know the outcome, hopefully it buried itself in some useless corner of the woods. 7 months, blah, blah. Searched 2 days, blah, blah. Look how pretty the up part was, blah,blah. UNSAFE. Unsafe all day, everyday, and tomorrow too.

Last edited:

No thank you. You're ass is grass and I am a carnivore...

Moreover, I'm am interested in knowing what the moderators think of this thread. OP behavior warrants either 1) a timeout in the corner wearing a dunce cap, 2) a period of time in solitary confinement [no posting] or 3) outright termination (cue Arnie...)

...and whatever Y.C.W.A.A.O.T.I is, we really don't care...

Last edited:
Y.C.W.A.A.O.T.I = You can't win an argument on the internet. Gentlemen, it's an internet FORUM, let's try & get a grip on reality here. Do as you feel is right. I have things to do (and continue doing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back