Quantcast

Build Thread - MoonShot III Heavy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Finally received all the parts, it's raining out, today is the day to start - EBSR - Event Based Sport Rocketry - I have a 29mm I90 with a 7 second burn on the sustainer, speed off the rail by three boosters with G76-5s. That was the idea anyway. Every oddball idea I could ever come up with is going in this build, including full telemetry, GPS, 2 cameras, flightsketch mini, Chute release, EggFinder, on-board ignition.

Attachments

Last edited:

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Officially the largest (72CM) and most difficult motor mount I have ever built
IMG_8247.JPG

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Two sets wires, One for Booster ignition (3 X G76 -5) one for sustainer.

Last edited:

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So are all of the motors started with onboard ignition? Or is there a motor you're igniting on the pad an airstarting others?

How do you get such a long burn, is that an end burning I 90 motor?

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
ALL motors are lit from on-board. The I90 is a modified end burn (Slight 1X4 CM core cut)

Last edited:

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One eggfinder, 5 bluetooth relays, two "twin" video cams, a flightsketch, dual 7.4 lipo power sources, and a partridge in a pear tree....

Waiting on delivery of "IKEA Booster Release System" heh heh heh

Attachments

Last edited:

mo2872

Reaction score
Oh, you sneaky, clever rocketeer......your idea, or previously done??

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, you sneaky, clever rocketeer......your idea, or previously done??
I kept on trying to design something in my head "Like a drawer slide"..... Took some time to get thru my head to just use a 6 inch drawer slide!

mo2872

Reaction score
Brilliant......work smarter......I love it. Will be watching for results!

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Initial start is by onboard ignition via bluetooth Comms (my phone) secondary sustainer is by timed ignition on board

Last edited:

SDramstad

Reaction score
Initial start is by bluetooth Comms (my phone) secondary sustainer is by timed ignition on board
You might want to run that past the RSO at wherever you plan to fly it.

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Innovation almost always runs in conflict with established norms. That is how established norms are changed

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Suggest longer distance from the flight line and prepping out there and the RSO might be happy with that.

SDramstad

Reaction score
Taking the launch control away from the LCO is generally, and rightfully, frowned upon.....

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
And how much range does the Bluetooth link offer? (It's cool idea; we're just saying that there are a few established norms to contend with.)

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
And how much range does the Bluetooth link offer? (It's cool idea; we're just saying that there are a few established norms to contend with.)
In fiberglass bay, tested at 70 yards - More than I expected

SDramstad

Reaction score
You may want it set up so the first motor to light can be done by your setup or by the sites launch controller. That way if the LCO doesnt want to give up launch control you can still fly

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
But if the timer for the one air start is kicked off by the Bluetooth launch signal then it would not go if the LCO does the honors. Perhaps add a launch detect to activate the timer, and then it doesn't matter which button is pressed to start things off.

Or maybe that's what you're doing already.

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The sustainer is lit by a timer that confirms "Good" flight, and has no connection to when I hit the go button for launch on the boosters. The boosters are lit on the ground by bluetooth.

Last edited:

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Allow me to clarify -

The purpose of this build was to throw every idea in my head (including the kitchen sink) into the build of one rocket. The rocket design is of my own, exceptionally stable, known of as the "Moon-Shot"
  1. Drop-off boosters
  2. Completely self contained (yet remotely controlled) launch & electronics package
  3. NO pre-launch jumpers, switches, on-off buttons, etc - all must be remote - Including launch itself
My goal was to put the rocket on the pad, then turn on all systems remotely, including eggtimer, flightsketch, dual videos, etc. Goal was to avoid having to disassemble the rocket 50% prior to launch to flip this switch, set this jumper, or turn this & that on. All will be done thru bluetooth comms & tablet, with visual feedback showing each individual system armed.

This has been a dream/goal of mine for years - full integration with feedback to a hand-held tablet.

Does this go against some current NAR guidelines? Yes. That is why it will be tested by itself. Am I doing it to flaunt NAR regulations? Absolutely not. Safety is paramount, and always will be.

50 years ago, everything we consider "standard" now was considered experimental. Just trying to raise the bar, if for no one else but myself.

On a side note, I'm building 2, the first one simply for flight stability confirmation. I don't want to send a paychecks worth of electronics up in the first flight until I am 100% comfortable with the rocket design. She's ugly, but she's mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's a cool and good idea. I don't think anyone was really saying otherwise. Merely anticipating immovable resistance from club officials if you're planning to launch this cool and worthwhile project at a club launch. And suggesting that a compromise, such as dual operating modes, is something to consider.

And if you don't meet immovable resistance, so much the better. A lot better.

SDramstad

Reaction score
Now if you are off on your own, fine. At any organized launch you will be in violation of Tripoli and I believe NAR regulations because you dont have a hardware way to de-energize the electronics while you take it to the pad. As for me, the idea that someones rocket on the pad next to me could be launched while I am getting mine ready increases my pucker factor by quite a bit. I for one, am not comfortable with this. At the bigger launches most RSOs and LCOs would probably feel the same.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, that sure is a motor extension.

Would you provide some context?

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry - the motor extensions were created so there was something to mount the shock cord to, as well as to "screw thru the wall" to hold the motors in. NOT worried about ejection, as they will be connected to shock cord, more worried about initial ignite - don't want one (or more) falling out if all don't light at once.

Picture shows marks at center of extension to screw into
IMG_8310.JPG

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What if you let give the phone to the LCO to launch it? Wouldn’t that bring the launch back into NAR and TRIPOLI rules?