build thread, Monster Spike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
Starting a build thread on the Monster Spike

All fiberglass 2.1 inch diameter, 229 inch long (230 just sounded a little much..), Skyripper K247, 12 lb loaded weight sims to just below 7,000 feet. This one is a little unique in that it is a continuous taper from 2.1 inches down to 1 inch over 175 inches. 70% complete.

The blue section is the skyripper motor case, it will be exposed except where the fin can covers the bottom and a transition at the top.

There will be two parachutes, a drogue chute that sits in the transition area and a main chute that is really carefully slid into the body tube. There is a plug that separates the drogue section from the main, after ejection the plug is pulled out with the main from the body tube.

If I have time (my kid did one of those 'you know what would be cool' moments) I plan to have the nosecone be an Estes Alpha on an A staged with a timer. It would be the first time I ever herd someone staging a K to an A, plus gotta be some kind of record altitude for an Alpha in there somewhere.

long rocket.jpg

View attachment long.rkt

That is a monster spike alright! Yeah, I concur, 230 inches would have been just TOO much!:roll:

A 'K' to an 'A'..lol..That would be different..and cool:cool:

Back