Build Thread - Mark 4 Square from New Way Space Models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co-leader of the LRP

stability is overrated
Reaction score
I got a mark 4 square rocket recently, and just started building it. I decided to crease a build thread, because why not. Also, is New Way even in business anymore? Their website seems to have been partially down and not updated for several years, and almost anywhere I can find is out of their models. (eRockets has some, that's where I got mine)

Last edited:
ERockets is my go to vendor for NewWay models. They just released a new one, the Big Bessie.
And you may want to fill the spirals on the tube (if they are deep) ahead of time.
0103201715.jpg
Just started on my BB build the other day.
Love the NewWay kits. Lots of small extras that other kit makers don't give you.
Did I mention that I like the unusual?
Laters.

Also, is New Way even in business anymore? Their website seems to have been partially down and not updated for sezeral years, and almost anywhere I can find is out of their models. (eRockets has some, that's where I got mine)

I believe they no longer sell direct. They are available from eRockets. They also used to be available from eBAY and Apogee, but Apogee shows out of stock and I could not find them on eBAY tonight

And you may want to fill the spirals on the tube (if they are deep) ahead of time.

I don't mind if the spirals are deep. I personally don't go for perfect looks, I go for "good from the launch button".

Love the NewWay kits. Lots of small extras that other kit makers don't give you.
Did I mention that I like the unusual?

Yes, you did mention you like unusual rockets. It says so in your forum signature.

Haven't done anything for a while as it was put to the side when we had some guests over for dinner, and I promptly forgot about it, and only just remembered that I had this rocket which needed (fun) building yesterday.IMG_2240.JPG^ (Square!) launch lug on. Nice little detail of them to make it like that.IMG_2241.JPG
^end view of launch lug.

IMG_2247.JPG
^Parachute. It has surprisingly long shroud lines. Also, you may be able to finally guess what the green thing I'm using as a photo background is, I found anyone still looks at this slightly boring thread at all: a green vinyl bench. You may think that that colour is disgusting for a bench, but, surprisingly, it looks very nice and adds colour to the room.

IMG_2248.JPG
^Nose cone sanded and washers+eye hook set up attached. Balsa is so easy to sand! It's not perfect, but it looks better than Richthofen angles and I don't really care about perfection. Nothing is perfect, after all.IMG_2249.JPG
^Third fin attatched. It looks kind of like a Star Wars shuttle sort of thing at the moment.

IMG_2250.JPG ^Rocket finished and all ready for painting. I'll be going with the face card colour scheme. Now I just have to wait for good painting weather, which will be a few months. Sigh.

Edit: The nose cone is more even than it looks, just a weird photo angle.

Very cool. I just ordered one of their other square rockets.

I found that these kits can be easily modified for 24mm too, the tube is just the right size. Never saw my Q-Bee come down. :D

I found that these kits can be easily modified for 24mm too, the tube is just the right size. Never saw my Q-Bee come down. :D
Foam board can be easily used for centering “squares”.

Cut a template from card stock with the appropriate size hole in the middle and the outer dimensions drawn to match inside dimensions of the square tube.

Drill your central hole about 2 mm smaller than needed (e.g., 18 mm for a BT-20, 22 mm for a BT-50) in your foam board, with plenty of room around it for your template.

Center your template on the hole in the foam board and draw your outer margins. Cut the outer margins with a blade.

Wrap sandpaper around a motor casing with a slight “cone” configuration, so the narrow end of smaller than the diameter of the motor. Let’s say you are going for a BT-50 mount, use a 24 mm motor casing

Use this to open up the inner hole, checking frequently with the BT-50 until it juuuuusssst barely fits.

Cut a slot in the AFT square for engine hook if used.

Update:
Finally got around to priming. No pics as it's just boring, flat white. For a while it was the weather, not warm enough for spray yet. For the past month it was procrastination, and I am not glad I did so. MAN is it hot out here.

Back