Build Thread: Lego Titanic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
People seemed interested in a Lego Titanic build thread when I suggested it, so here it is.

I unpacked it today and the box is pretty impressive in size.

20220403_193450.jpg

Inside, there were three smaller boxes.

20220403_193602.jpg

This is where the presentation gets impressive. The three boxes contain the parts for the bow, middle, and stern sections. The sides of the three boxes reflect this.

20220403_193745.jpg

The fronts and backs of the boxes show the front and back of each of the three sections.

20220403_193804.jpg

20220403_193819.jpg

Build will start with the bow section in box #1 tomorrow.

I intend to take my time and savor this 9090 piece build.

Just out of curiosity, how much does a 9090 piece Lego Titanic set weigh?

Wanna get this kit, but I’ve no place to store it once assembled…
This is my problem with every Lego model I want. I wish there was a way I could just build it, look at it for a week and pass it on to someone else.

This is my problem with every Lego model I want. I wish there was a way I could just build it, look at it for a week and pass it on to someone else.
There is a healthy market for used Lego, but doing the disassembly and inventory of big sets is an undertaking that's much less enjoyable than the original build process.

Are there extra pieces for the post-impact version?

Realistically speaking, the damage would look pretty minor from the outside, enough so that you couldn't really depict it well since it would pretty much just look like a big scratch down the side. At least, that's my understanding of the current theories. The Titanic seems to have been a really well-engineered and safe ship, and it just had some really terrible luck with weather and sea conditions making it tough to spot icebergs and getting damaged in just such a way that would sink it.

A bunch of inflatable rafts would have made a huge difference.

Much hay is made over the not-enough-lifeboats thing, but the idea of the lifeboats was to ferry passengers from a stricken ship to a rescue ship that there was every reason to believe would be close by, since transatlantic ocean liners stuck to fairly narrow travel corridors. After offloading one load of passengers, the lifeboat would return to the stricken ship to get more.

What probably would have really made a difference is if the Californian's radio operator hadn't just gone to bed and heard Titanic's distress call. I would hate to have been that guy when the news came down in the morning.

My son-in-law has the Lego Titanic, and has completed his build of it. I think he's found a lighting kit for it that he plans on installing next.
It's a very impressive model. We visited the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum and there was a Lego model of the "Edmund Fitzgerald" among the displays.IMG_0516.JPGIMG_0518.JPG

Last edited:
Back