Build Thread: Lego Titanic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could watch Titanic documentaries endlessly. Thanks for the posts.......

Last edited:
It is just one of those things that's weirdly fascinating.

Plus I just like ships. If I didn't do rockets, I'd be doing ships.
I started watching Chief Makoi's videos on YouTube a while back because, as an engineer, I'm just idly curious how stuff works, particularly really big machines, like ships. I've barely scratched the surface of the stuff he's posted, but the ones I've seen have been educational and informative. https://www.youtube.com/c/ChiefMAKOi

Enjoying the build and discussion. The Titanic is endlessly fascinating. There is a lot of neat details to come from what I have seen in the set reviews.

On larger Lego kits: have you ever wondered why the funky colours for internal pieces?

Look at the colours you've had so far.. Why the variety? Why not one or two.. And is there any reason to the colours themselves?!

Inquiring minds want to know!

:D :D

On larger Lego kits: have you ever wondered why the funky colours for internal pieces?

Look at the colours you've had so far.. Why the variety? Why not one or two.. And is there any reason to the colours themselves?!

My guess is the different colors are easier to call out during the build steps. Much easier than place 4 gray bricks in a stack and the pic shows 5 or 3... :rabbitdontknow:

My guess is, these are always pieces you don't see on the finished model, so to keep from running out of one color brick on a big production run of a model they throw in other colors that they may have lots of. For example, there's a lot of blue pieces inside the mainly white Space Shuttle, but they're on the inside and you can't see them.

But they definitely do also use these to help orient certain pieces. On the inside of the R2-D2 (also not visible on the final model) they used one color on some pieces on the front, and another color on similar pieces on the back, so that when you added later steps you could easily tell which side they would go.

The rainbow internal parts are for easy ID and placement. To the best of my knowledge has nothing to do with production sizing. I know a few folks who have been to Builund Denmark on official business.

I will grant that the fact that the watertight compartment bulkheads didn't come up to the very top decks was a major design flaw. If they had, the ship probably would have survived, but apparently no one thought it was possible that a scrape with an iceberg would breach enough compartments to sink the ship, kind of like how no one thought a pressurized oxygen environment would doom three astronauts during a test 55 years later.
Since this is literally in my wheelhouse, I'll pick a minor nit. The regulatory changes* from the Titanic sinking don't require that the bulkheads come up the the deck. they do require that they come up to a deck (aka the bulkhead deck) that can be made watertight. Once you get into damaged stability calculations, you basically assume that everything above the bulkhead deck is damaged and free-flooding. The further apart your watertight bulkheads are, the higher your bulkhead deck needs to be above the waterline.

* aka the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention, ratified in 1914, with major rewrites in 1929, 1948, 1960, and 1974, plus minor updates every 5 years or so.

My go-to Lego reviewer just released one for this kit.

"SPOILER ALERT" 😁

Last edited:
I heard that the 4th funnel was also used to draw in air. although that makes no sense..

why not make the display case out of Lego?!?

Is there any means by which a person could get a part that is lost, missing or broken?

Back