Build Thread: Fliskits Tiddlywink

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After taking a break from building rockets to paint some wargaming starter sets, it's time to get back to reducing the build pile with something a little bit on the challenging side.

Thanks @JAL3 for selling this to me some time ago.

I just opened it up and checked the instructions and parts for tonight. I will probably start later this week.

20221127_184921.jpg

Copters were my favorite recovery method. I didn't do a great job with them but, compared to the gliders, I was a master!

I hope you enjoy it.

Copters were my favorite recovery method. I didn't do a great job with them but, compared to the gliders, I was a master!

I hope you enjoy it.
Meanwhile, you ever going to post a diagram of the famed Rube Goldberg Lander?

Everything having to do with the RGL was lost in 2015. I'm sorry that I never got to finish that one. I don't even have any drawings and the only photos are the ones here on TRF.

It was supposed to be a tail lander but Elon Musk beat me to it.

The four weird pods that extended up and to the sides were to house 4 chutes over a wide base. The ejection charge was also supposed to push forward a coupler and release the fins. The fins were spring loaded to rotate through about 120 degrees about their base and form a very wide footprint for landing, hopefully keeping it from falling over.

Everything was over complicated and I put Shrox style ping pong balls wherever I thought I could get away with it. It was supposed to have a late 50s or early 60s SciFi look.

Getting transferred away from home to the coast was the final nail in the coffin. That meant I left it at home with my wife in San Antonio. There is nothing that SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED loves more than throwing out my stuff.

When I moved back home a year and a half ago, her biggest comment was to the effect of our house was never so clean and tidy as it was for the 6 years I was away.

At least the dog remembered what I smell like!

Took longer than I wanted... but construction has begun with the installation of a centering ring in the motor mount tube, cutting the dowel to 8" long, and gluing another centering ring to it. The dowel will later be inserted into the aft end of the motor mount tube to form a piston that will deploy the blades. There will also be holes cut into the motor mount tube as a pressure vent, but that will wait until the glue dries.

20221223_121849.jpg

20221223_121854.jpg

Those hinges are a really neat little part that I haven't seen before. Gonna have to find something to build with them. Thanks @Antares JS for the thread, and @waltr for knowing what they are!

Ok, now I can see how this all goes together and what is looks like in launch & recovery modes.
Pretty neat rocket.
Thanks for the detailed build.

Back